Forums > Technical Discussion > HyperLight Update (21-11-2006)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Little update for you all (thought I'd start a new thread as the last one was getting a bit big!!). I've been a busy bee tonight and I now have 4 pairs of the MK4 (dare I say final?) boards soldered together... now to get something to put 'em in ready for Synergy!

Non-Https Image Link

smile

Cake or Death?

any_suggestionsGOLD Member
enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
sounds oh so good,im in love with these things just from seeing the pictures lol.

to many freaks to little circuses!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The pictures and videos really don't do them any justice either wink

Cake or Death?

OceansoulSILVER Member
3 posts

Posted:
I am on the edge of my seat.

You should send me a demo pair, for uh. marketing research.

sazkenSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hyperlight Man, you are truly doing something great for humanity.

The preliminary pictures and videos of these things are CRAZY. Like, cream-your-pants crazy. This kind of thing impresses even my most jaded non-poi friends.

Please, please, please, PLEASE carry on.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I had another spin with the most recent protos (with some hardware tweaks) and I have to say they felt better than ever- with the new housings and increased battery life due soon, I'd say the future's bright (...the future's hyperlight?!.... sorry, that is soooo cheesy).

tongue

ishkadoodlesGOLD Member
journeyman
61 posts

Posted:
how much are these things going to cost? I'm afraid to get my hopes up that I'll be able to own some...

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
My current guestimate is around the £150 mark. You can find lots of answers to things questions like that on the HyperLight website smile

I've been making progress on the housings the last day or two and I've also started to play with the accelerometers at last! The early results are already looking promising biggrin
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1174483214)

Cake or Death?

sazkenSILVER Member
5 posts

Posted:
Wait now...accelerometers, now? As in, the poi could strobe faster or slower depending on how fast you spun them? Wow.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Got it in one...although changing the speed at which things strobe is really just scratching the surface of what's possible. Needs some more work, but there's a lot of potential smile

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
....so if I span a 3bt Weave REAL fast... it would look cool wink

ubbangel

Sounds nifty. Jon... when are you willing to take my money off me for a pair of these... smile

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
duno whether this interests people but i got to use these babys smile they are fantastic...

[Old link]

vid is there, Jon you know my views smile cant wait to use the finals

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
It means if you spun really really fast, you you could make it look no different to spinning really really slow - you'd still see the same pattern in the same place... ...in theory biggrin

Yes I'd love to take some money from you.. soon wink

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
... and in theory it could recognise the accelration patterns of anti-spin, slattls etc and thus give different affects for each of the different spins... oooh I want some no... Oh yeah smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
From what I've seen, I'm not sure you'd be able to detect anti-spin vs regular spin, but you should be able to see the difference between stalls and spinning and be able to react to those at least smile

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Have you tried different anti-spin patterns? Ie 3, 4, 5 petals.

Anti-spin without me would you?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've not tried flowers regular or anti-spun, I was just thinking about what the accelerometer would be seeing. Thinking about it though, anti-spin might actually look more like stalls from the sensors perspective. Need to run some tests smile

Cake or Death?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Maybe you need a prototype with built in telemetry, so you can get an idea of what the patterns look like in terms of acceleration changes.

It'd be really nice to have flowers with petals that change colors from the center to the edges, or have each petal in a different color.

Something tells me you'd need a whole seperate microcontroller running at a very high clock speed, just for the pattern recognition though.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Here's some examples of the sort of output I get. Bear in mind this is the raw data straight out of the sensors so there's a fair amount of clever smoothing that can be applied to get s cleaner signal to play with smile

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

It might look messy, but I reckon we can pull some fairly interesting stuff out of it - particularly for normal spinning. Things get a little more crazy when you start doing things like stalls wink

Cake or Death?

mo-sephenthusiast
523 posts

Posted:
BTW, if anyone wants a way to play with cheap wireless accelerometers to experiment with, hooking up a Wiimote to your computer via bluetooth gives you 3 axes of acceleration quick and easy...

monkeys ate my brain

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
wave Jon, not had an update in a while, hows it coming along?

I hear hyperlights paid a visit to the BJC as well, hope they got a good reception. Did you get any new video footage? Be great to see some more

Motley

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
He's been working furiously, what on I couldn't say.
Fortunately he's a genius and fixed my fried laptop while he was at it smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Excuse me for being offtopic but why does this thread not show its title in the list of forums?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I used to think it was the brackets in the title, but I think they were square brackets before and Jon changed it and it hasn't helped.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
How's about I make a new thread with the latest updates... ? smile

Cake or Death?

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
sounds like a plan smile