Forums > Help! > What to buy? / Beginner Package?

Login/Join to Participate

ozzyslovechildBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
hi all,

i'd like to buy some fire poi gear. i'm a beginner; i've done it only a couple of times.

i'd like to be able to buy a beginner's package that includes a pretty good pair of handle/chain/wicks, but also includes a cheap version of the miscelleaneous bits that one should buy.

i'm thinking of stuff like a bucket for the gas, eye protection, etc/what else?

i don't know which accoutrement i should be getting, and i want someone to tell me, to facilitate buying it all at once.

it might be available somewhere on your site and i'm just not finding it. could you point me in the right direction?

even if it were just a list of all the things i should be deciding to get or not, whether you sell them or not.

any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

cheers,

smileben

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
So you're a beginner twirler? you say you've only done it a few times? are you referring to only doing poi a few times?

Can I recommend first of all, if you are a beginner to the world of poi check out these items first? https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/listItems.php/41

As for everything else, I am unable to help you as despite having been twirling for a few years, I am still on glo poi as I am not ready to turn to fire yet.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ozzyslovechild

i'm thinking of stuff like a bucket for the gas, eye protection, etc/what else?

ITS NOT GAS!

gas is highly explosive!!!!!!!!!!!!! use lamp oil/kerosene/colmans fuel.

eye protection? for what? as long as you spin off you shouldnt get much excess fuel and you should practice with non-fire poi until you're not hitting yourself in the face/nuts.

a bucket? there is no special bucket, just find one that works! wink

get a fire blanket from a safety shop, wear non-flammable clothes like jeans and a cotton shirt, a beanie to stop you hair from burning. and you should be all right.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
hmm, to be honest, I only skimmed the rest of the post, or else I would have picked up more.

I have to agree with Majestik about everything he just said.
Are you meaning a container to pour fuel into for dipping? I know people who when they finish a drink (non alcoholic of course) cut the bottle in half and use that. Don't need anything special.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
an empty coffee jar is good for dipping your fire heads in wink

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Or a champagne bucket if you really want to be stylish.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
drink the champagne and empty the ice first wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ravehead

an empty coffee jar is good for dipping your fire heads in wink

note he meant fire heads, not your head on fire wink tongue

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
First aid kit (preferably one slightly modded out to deal with a wider variety of burn related injuries). Keep any basic insurance information in your first aid kit, such as the company your policy is with and their contact information. You should keep this for anyone who plays with you. Trust me on this one. Enough non-fire related accidents have occured for me to know that one.

Damp towels that you really don't care about (because you'll start looking at them funny after they've been sitting out in your carport/garage/other storage area even if they have been washed), in addition to a bucket for soaking them. Wring them out well after you get them drenched. You can put out wicks with these or use 'em in an emergency to put out people. The bucket, then, can be used for a variety of things, so long as it's not fuel related.

Good fire blanket. For putting people out with.

EXCELLENT ABC Fire extinguisher. For putting anything else out with.

Cellphone (with your local emergency room or emergency response team's number programmed in).

Fuel soak container. If you're looking for a cheap solution, we've found that wide mouthed pitchers work very well, so long as they come with a lid. This way, whatever fuel is not used, you can use the spout to pour it into an appropriate container for disposal or storage and minimize spillage.

A trustworthy friend who knows how to use all this.

A clear practice space, free of any low hanging branches or loosely blowly leaves, wires, etc. Also, tall, dry brush, generally a no-no. Find a place with flat ground, preferably without any debris, that's legal for you to use it. So, before you go lighting up in a park, check your town ordinances for fire safety in public areas. You may need a permit to burn in parks. You may need to provide information on safety procedure or have your local fire marshall present.

A good head on your shoulders. Your common sense and instincts are always your best weapon against any accident. If something doesn't sit right, it's probably not good. Trust yourself if your gut says that something's up and maybe it's not a good night to spin.

Oh! And The Backyard Spinner's Guide to Safety. It's a short movie on HoP done by Pele and I can't remember who the gent is. Very excellent.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
And have a SHAKE-OFF-CAN where you spin the soaked poi (heads) before lighting up to catch the excess fuel preventing it from flying into the environment.

All you need for that is a piece of string and a old can or plastic bottle ...

The average poi head looses 2 tablespoons full of excess oil on every burn and paraffin is a toxic substance!

It's cheaper too as the saved fuel adds up.

Clean poi, green poi.