Forums > Social Chat > ideas for a 60th birthday?

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
So my mum's turning 60 this month, and I'll fly back to Germany to say happy birthday.

She's had a rough time recently, with having a leg op and not being allowed to walk for 6 weeks, and is only now getting off the crutches, and it's all quite painful I hear. So I'd like to do something nice for her. Which is difficult from the distance, because the other 2 people who organise it don't talk to each other much [/understatement], and so I have a very incomplete picture of what's going on, depending of who I hear from...

There'll be a party at a restaurant, with about 20 people, most of which will be in their 50s to 70s, so I'm finding it quite hard to get ideas!

I was thinking of doing a quiz about her life and giving out some silly prices. I was going to do it multiple-choice-like, and the top 3 will get bits of fancy paper saying they won the privilege of taking her out to the theatre or for an ice cream or something, so she'll get out of the house a bit more smile But apart from that I don't have a clue, I'm better at organising things for kids than for grownups!

Any help for "party games for old people" will be highly appreciated smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hire a stripper? wink

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I don't know if this will be possible... but you said you are better at organising kids parties... have a 60th, devided by 10, birthday party... in other words... hold a 6th birthday party for your mum... have them play pass the parcel, and other kiddy games.

Not sure what you're mum is like though, so not sure if this would be appreciated.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
googled party games for old people and found this:

40Th Birthday Roast
Before the party send out an email or letter to everyone who will attend and ask them to think of a story that relates to the birthday person. These stories should be humorous in nature and fun to listen to they can relate to a funny moment or tie into growing older.

You may want everyone to date the stories, just to remind the recipient of how old they are. So Keith would say way back in 1985 Joe and I made a trip to see Bon Jovi...

Once all your guests have sent in stories ideas, place all the ideas on pieces of paper and then take it to the restaurant.

Once all the quests have arrived and so order the food, present the idea of the roast. Depending on the number of stories, your roast could last past dinner. Have a paper bag or hat and have the birthday person pull out a story and who will tell. Then they share the event. Conitnue this process and have fun. Please warn guest if there will be children present, no bad langauge please.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
hehehe... thanks, Hanz, but my parents and other relatives and their friends are quite stereotypical set-in-their-ways people who like walking, watching the detective stories at 8.15 and discussing if aunt soandso's hipbone will last another year wink Unless they have a secret life I don't know about. ubblol

Patrick, good idea... he can keep me and my sis entertained in a little separate room biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks Maus... but... we did that with my dad last year wink Two 60th birthdays within 1 year is just not good!! If I ever marry it'll be at 40 and he'll be 25, so there's gonna be at least 5 years between big birthdays. How does that sound? ubblol

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
disappointing... but then, many people her age are like that, some love being kids again, others wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
And unfortunatly, I'm not out of ideas

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
mystery dinner? either take them and friends to one
or they have ones where your guests play the parts

seeing as how you said they like the detective stuff

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
take them on a midnight mystery drive in the country side, call he party line and take them to a free party biggrin

i'd be well happy to do that when i'm 60 ubblol

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
with drink they will prob play almost anything.

How about somewhere with a dance floor and some classic music. Many of that age group love dances. Can you organise some people to even line dance or swing dance.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
most people that age are bored with the "normal" concepts of a good night and like to explore the underground scene.................they are mostely hippys though wink

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
These are all wicked ideas smile

For my mum's 60th, I waited til they were out of the house for a few days, then spent ages going through all her old pictures and slides - right back to when she was a girl.

I picked 12 of the best and got them blown up to A4 size.

On her birthday, she came downstairs to find 60 balloons (quite a lot to wade through), and a kindof gallery of pictures of her from throughout her life around the lounge.

We had a cake, a little buffet lunch for her and her friends, and we took her out to the theatre that night...

She loved it smile

Getting to the other side smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the advice smile

Clare, unfortunately we've already done a HUGE picture thing for her 50th wink it's really like we're running out of ideas! (and strangely enough most pictures have been missing since then!)

Gnor, I've never seen ANY of them dancing, and I know for a fact that my parents can't frown I suddenly feel like I have really boring parents, though I really really love them! I think it's because in the last 6 years, there have been a lot of family problems, which I really don't want to go into, but it's completely drained them of their energy frown I feel guilty enough being so far away from them, but even if I was there I couldn't help. And as for going there a few days early, I only arrive the day of her birthday, couldn't get anything else sorted (or paid for with the World Cup on).

Damn... I feel quite crap, I wish I could be there for them more.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
mystery dinner!!!!!

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed