CarolyneBRONZE Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on a set of chains to buy. My Glow poi's chain broke (again) to night and I'm sick of it.

From reading other posts I think I'd like to go with ball chains, but I'm worried that they will be too heavey.
My poi are said to be about 67.5g each - pretty light I'd guess.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,

Carolyne

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
okay, well, since im not too advised in weight and types of chains, i will tell you how i worked it out. For me, i started with some light weight things. 6" glowstick with ribbon.. didnt weigh much at all. My advice, use whatever you think looks funner. Your arms will adjust to swinging its weight, it isnt much of a problem, if you practice a good amount of your time, youd be able to handle many weights. Im sorry if this doesnt help :P lol but i hope it does. At the moment i use L.E.D. sock poi from HOP's shop, they weighed too much for my tastes, but as i worked with it, within a hour i learned how to spin it easily, again, sorry if it doesnt help... wink have fun spinning

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
ditto

ball chain are nice to spin with and are strong. you might find them a bit heavy at first but practice with them for a while and you'll get stronger and you'll have no problems.

it can also depend on the type of head you put on the ends of the chain, if you are only going to have glowsticks you shouldnt have any problems adjusting to the different weight. if you have kevlar then there will be a noticible increase in the weight of your poi (in relation to the weight of your old glowstick poi), but like before you'll just need to prac with them and you'll get used to it.
alternatively you could find lighter chains and make your own poi, but all you'll need to do to find out how to make your own poi is [Old link].

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

CarolyneBRONZE Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the advice! I guess I will get used to the weight of whatever I use. I'm going to get a set of the light ball chains from here.

I am now also a bit tempted to make my own set. I asked the company that made the LED poi if there was any alternative chains and they've sent me out two pairs for free smile

I'd like to start on fire soon, so I guess I've got a lot of shopping to do.

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
I always get a bit nervy when I see people using ball chain for fire spinning, is it really strong enough?

Would it not get weaker after a few burns in the same manner that splitrings loose their temper( rigidity)?

I prefer solidly welded chain myself.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I'll agree to that, but i think this is just about glowpoi so fire screwing with the temper isn't as much of an issue.. I would still say use curb chains (welded) and it can be as easy as going to the store and getting some choker chains for a dog wink

The weight problem *can* be an issue though, when the chains start to get heavier than the heads, it throws the balance of the poi off and becomes a little weird... just thought I'd warn you about that one.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I've had my ball chain since sept/oct 05. I use them for fire/beamers/fluffies and monkeyfists at the moment as the brass swivels for my welded chain for my fists disappeared (i received new ones yesterday though).

7 or so months of extreme heat, cold and heavy usage and they're still on the go!

If ball chain wasn't reliable, HoP wouldnt sell them smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
True, and as long as you use the correct ones for whatever you're doing you shouldn't have much trouble, but they *are* prone to failure simply by the nature of their construction. HoP does only sell stainless ballchains though so they're good to go, I'm just overly cautious, i've had fire heads break chains before... it's a scary 'oh sh*t' moment when you see that flaming fire ball go where it's not supposed to be going

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Just keep in mind to spin no-where near trees or people. If there are others about, yell "heads up!" or "MOVE OR YOURE GONNA DIE!"

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
LMAO! nice tink. Id either scream "TASTE THE RAINBOW!" or "THE END IS NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAR!!!!!!" i can imagine flaming balls of doom shooting into the sky and down to our precious earth.... lol

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"