Forums > Social Discussion > Plans to Reduce the Sentences of Rapists and Wife-beaters

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4799238.stm

I've not read anything as deplorable as this for a while...

Does this mean rape and domestic violence has been downgraded in terms of seriousness...?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/060220/2/xykf.html
Friday March 24, 12:30 PM
Gang rapists have sentences reduced

This is absolute bullsh*t. I think those b*stards should be dead. If not I think they should be slowly tortured for as long as they live after what they did to that young girl.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You know, sometimes death is too easy... angel

If you are reading the article thoroughly, they will serve a term between 5 and 22 years. Whereas I personally find 5 years a very low sentence, I have to take into acount that the guy was 17 at the time...

Unfortunately the article doesn't quote the reasons, the court put forth for the reduction... So our information is incomplete...

"An eye for an eye"... ? If this would have been my daughter... eek unimaginable for me... *breathing deeply* meditate

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
I agree with Tom, that last article doesn't really give any information. For all we know the shorter sentence (5 years) was given because that guy just watched but didn't participate. Not much better I agree, but a relevant point in court, especially when talking about sentencing.

As far as the reduction of sentences goes, it's obviously a deeply traumatic thing for the victims, and probably not overly good for society, but the problem is not in the justice system. The problem is we have too many damn people on the planet, and that means too many evil bastards.

Less people = less nutters = less crime

Easy innit?

The sooner bird flu, or meteorites, or George Bush and Al Qaeda reduce the population a bit, and we all go back to living in little villages, the better.

[/lunaticrant]

DISCLAIMER: I may or may not believe any or all of the above, at my discretion.

Peace and love.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mags The Jedi

The problem is we have too many damn people on the planet, and that means too many evil bastards.

Less people = less nutters = less crime

Easy innit?

The sooner bird flu, or meteorites, or George Bush and Al Qaeda reduce the population a bit, and we all go back to living in little villages, the better.

clap my sentiments exactly clap

Something tells me it will be the third reason in the list G.B. vs. A.Q. We're DOOMED!!!!

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

Coyotenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

Written by: Neon Shaolin

I suppose castration's out of the question... It's cheaper if it's money they're worried about...

It doesn’t really stop them. They can still commit assaults with objects. I read a few places out of felons own mouths that castration doesn’t really work. Besides that there are ways around it. Some even buy hormones off the black market

Which leaves us skipping the jail time and the castration and the lynch mobs and just going straight to the death penalty for rapists. How well does jail time work anyway? Personally, I can't imagine a rapist's first day back on the streets after a number of years without seeing a woman is going to go over very well, what's to stop them from raping again once they get out?

Incidently, there was a story in Celtic lore about two brothers that raped a woman and were changed into animals for three years. . . of the opposite sex. Every year, they would change into a different pair of animals (say, and male dog and a female dog, for example). They would mate, and the 'female' would go through childbirth. Then the next year, they would switch, so that both got a taste of what it was like to be female.

While not entirely realistic, this idea has some merit. If the death penalty isn't pushed through (and I can't imagine it will be. . .) why not give rapists a taste of what they do to women?

The voices may not be real, but they do have some intriguing ideas. . .

The essential thing in life is not in conquering, but fighting well.

Heroes are those that can rise to the occasion and slip quietly away.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
the saying "2 wrongs dont make a right" comes to mind.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... and they might get the taste of it in jail anyways - I can't imagine that rapists and women beaters have a good reputation in jail...

Unfortunately some people can completely disconnect from their environment...

"narcisstic" comes to mind, but dunno whether this is correct..

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

... and they might get the taste of it in jail anyways - I can't imagine that rapists and women beaters have a good reputation in jail...

Its actually true for rapists and child molesters to be put through hell in prison by the other inmates. They are considered the lowest of the low and treated as such by the others. Thieves and murderers get more respect and rapists are commonly raped while in jail. The problem is jail doesnt rehabilitate these people and when thier released alot of the time thier behavior is worse than when they went in.

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
loki they do get worse treatment problem is usually phedophiles, rapists and abusers usually get put in a wing in jail so they dont get [censored] from the other inmates, prisons now protect them in there by keeping them seperate that is so wrong.

bring back capital punishment for the worse of offenders only, i.e. cold blood murderers, rapists, abusers and phedophiles.

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
and the innocent people we kill, well, it's better to kill the guilty and innocent than to lock up the guilty for the rest of their life and give the innocent a chance to prove they do not deserve to be there

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
confused

Written by:

and the innocent people we kill, well, it's better to kill the guilty and innocent than to lock up the guilty for the rest of their life and give the innocent a chance to prove they do not deserve to be there

umm what exactly do you mean by that statement?

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

confused

Written by:

umm what exactly do you mean by that statement?

It's a tongue in cheek criticism of the death penalty. If the death penalty is used, there is a possibility that innocent people will be executed. Many people who oppose the death penalty believe that it is better to put people in jail, because if evidence is found later that exonerates them they can be set free.

It's a powerful argument, not against the death penalty itself, but against the court system. One can support the death penalty for those who are actually guilty, but be so concerned that an innocent person might be accidentally convicted that they are willing to do away with the death penalty altogether, and rely only on prison.

Someone once said "it is better to let 10 guilty go free than to falsely punish 1 innocent man." This is an argument for a very high standard of proof, saying that we should err on the side of caution so as not to falsely punish innocent people. Various ways have been proposed to do this. Under American law, for instance, we are asked to convict only if we think they are guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." Under Bibilical law, at least two witnesses are required to testify to every element of the crime.

If you believe that prison is less of a punishment than death, then you can change the statement to "it is better to send 10 guilty men and 1 innocent man to jail than to execute them." This is a bit subjective, since there are lots of people (including myself) who would rather be falsely executed than be sent to prison. Prison is a terrible place, and spending a lifetime there seems worse than simply dying.

To some, death is not a form of punishment at all. After all, death is something that happens to all of us, while prison is not. When you die, you will either cease to exist (if there is no afterlife), in which case nothing really matters to you, or you will go before a judge who will not make mistakes.

Remember, a simple painless death doesn't seem to be much of a punishment for someone who has raped, tortured, and killed. However, it is very difficult for us to actually come up with the proper punishment in each situation. Death can be seen as society simply saying "you seem so bad, we just don't know what to do with you, so we're going to turn your fate over to a higher authority who can dish out the proper punishment."

If there is no higher authority, and we simply cease to exist at death, then there is really no morality other than that which we invent for ourselves, so nothing really matters. If God exists, then he will compensate the innocent for their false execution by giving them extra happiness in the afterlife, and punish the truly guilt exactly the right amount. Other possibilities, such as reincarnation, are similar.

Among the possible ways to handle criminals (letting them go free, using prison only, or using the death penalty), the American Law sytems has compromised between prison and death. In America, we have two seperate trials for death penalty cases. The first trial establishes whether they are guilty or innocent. The second trial asks the jury whether they think the crime was bad enough and they are confident enough to sentence the criminal to death. This has been played out in the news recently with the terrorist involved in the Sept. 11th attacks.

Of course, with the lengthy appeals process in America you are more likely to die naturally waiting on death row than to actually be executed. The last execution I heard mentioned on the news was for a crime that had been committed in the 70s.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I am likely to symphasize with your above post, patriarch...

How about this one?

Written by:

The conviction of Bernard Kevin McGrath on only some of the charges brought against him will distress his many victims. They had sought guilty verdicts on all the 54 charges as formal recognition of the appalling suffering he had caused. But they do have the satisfaction of knowing McGrath has been found to have been a monster of sexual abuse, that at least some of his vile activities are now on the public record, and that his name is irredeemably tarnished.

(...)

Twenty-four former Maryland's pupils associated with McGrath and his associates have committed suicide or died young in unexplained circumstances.

St John of God has moved significantly to compensate victims and reform its practices, paying out more than $5 million, but the process began slowly and hesitantly.

(...)

frown press release

Just thought that this might be of significance right here... even though I am pondering upon the thought to open up a new thread, that tackles the entire problem of "Christian institutions and child abuse"... If anyone in the meantime wants to do some research and conclude a thread... go ahead, please...

In the meantime:

New Zealand on castration of "sex offenders"

Written by:

A body of literature has evolved steadily over the past few decades that address the effectiveness of various treatment programmes for sex offenders. Most have inconsistent results partly as a result of the difficulties associated with issues of measurement, standardised assessments of the frequency of sex offences and the unreliability of sex-offenders self-reports.

At present sex offenders are subject to discretionary decisions by the criminal justice system in regard to their treatment. This could include placing the offender in the community on probation; recommending compulsory treatment; and parole to a recommended level with the required duration of supervision, registration with the Police and notification on a sex offender’s register. These are all court sentence decisions based on the risk of re-offending rather than on the actual type of crime committed. (...)

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
ah but i only meant when there is cold hard evidence in place in the first place

when we first had capital punishment there was no such thing as dna proof, now we have proof through dna, in many such cases as murder, rape, abuse ect and so if they have the cold hard evidence then why not. if there is no solid proof a life sentance till proven innocent if they are innocent

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

Page: