Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > this helped me huge with learning the weave!!

Login/Join to Participate

Akelanewbie
1 post

Posted:
hi all, just got my first set of poi about a month ago and have been trying to get the hang of them when I can. It was taking me forever to figure out the 3 beat weave as the video on this site just wasn't helping my brain understand and all the written instruction in the world couldn't help my hands make sense of the motion either! I'm also based out in toronto and there's no one around teaching poi in the dead of winter here frown so I tried to find as many video tutorials as I could and I tell you, after staring at this particular one for about 5 minutes, something just clicked and I got it!

https://www.jugglingwithatwist.com/fo8_alternating_crossover_digi.swf

I tried it at first with 2 candles like he's using the glowsticks, and then moved to the poi after about 20 reps with the candles. Everyone learns in different ways of course, I'm a very visual person and needed this to help me understand. Just wanted to share for anyone else who might be getting stuck on this same move! There's something about the head on angle that really made sense to me.

RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
yay! I also battled to get the weave (although this was almost a year ago wink ), but when I practised, I used wooden spoons, as recommended by Simon from www.firechains.com

Go there for some easy-to-use lessons... they're great!

I'm teaching poi now (unfortunately far away from you), and it helps to be able to explain in a simple way how to practise the moves. Good luck with the rest!

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
His timing is out!
He goes same time when he crosses over..
But well doen for learning biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I used wooden spoons, as recommended by Simon from www.firechains.com"...

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. umm

Why wooden spoons?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firechains.com

On top of that, you can throw in some of the windmill to create a fountain - a combination of both the chase and the windmill.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
*takes a breath*
Damned 'fountain contains a windmill' propaganda.

That aside...wooden spoons - probably because most homes have them and they're effectively acting like clubs, letting you slow the move down to make sure you've got it working right.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I thought he meant wooden spoons on strings.

confused

Should I appear on Trisha?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Written by: Firechains.com

On top of that, you can throw in some of the windmill to create a fountain - a combination of both the chase and the windmill.

But it does...

*takes a breath*
Damned 'fountain contains a windmill' propaganda.

That aside...wooden spoons - probably because most homes have them and they're effectively acting like clubs, letting you slow the move down to make sure you've got it working right.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu