Forums > Other Toys > Sparkly poi.... new ideas....

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
GruntLaFreak and I have recently started experimenting with "fire wire"... or sparky-poi, using a chicken-wire cage with wire wool bundles stuffed inside. Obviously, too much wire wool, and you end up with a very short burn time and a whole chunk of metal sitting in the bottom of the cage... etc. We know the basics. I need to know from others who might have done similar experimenting what to add to the wire wool to extend burn time.
I did my first (paid smile ) show on Friday night and I used sparkly poi with oblong cages (they looked like giant chicken-wire condoms *hehe*) and wire wool bundles that were broken up inside, over a dam. It looked absolutely amazing over the water, but the sparks hardly lasted long enough to do a full routine.

Anyhow, I'm going to experiment with some new designs (chickenwire and wire wool is cheap, mind you), but I don't want to rewrite the theory if it already exists.
Anyone tried this before? I've seen Jo Derry's Black Bush poi video... and yeah, I want some of that!

Help

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

RAZESILVER Member
How much for a truckload of feathers?
108 posts

Posted:
firstly, if you've overcome the obstacle of having a decent burn time (25 secs or more), then I suppose you could experiment with adding different fuels to the steel wool... although I'm hesitant to go to that extra length because the molten steel wool's gonna be orange if you like it or not, since that's how it burns without fuel... so.

??? It's trial and error, really.

If you eat your dessert before your dinner, you will live longer. Living longer means more fire....

Page: