Forums > Social Discussion > Oz hoppers help us find this man

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so to make a long story short lex hired a combi van through this site https://www.carsonline.com.au/KombiHire/camper.html
and the guy took her $800 deposit for the van and now the company is going under apparently due to a 400% increase in insurance premiums. this has been going on for weeks now with him constantly promising to give the money back/mix ups paying money into wrong acount. being a sly censored censored censored censored censored censored censored censored censored he has paid in a portion of the money which legally means its not a police matter anymore as the bank recieving the money constitutes lex agreeing to an installment plan which is complete censored even though she didnt agree to anything!!!!

lex got a kind policeman to call his mobile and ask him to call back which he did the next day saying all the money would be paid into her account by today at the latest, his mobile is now unavailable (previously it always went through to answer phone).

so it would appear he has done a runner. apparently he is quite well known for his combis/rental company in byron bay (the tourist information ppl have never heard of him though), his first name is bill.

all we need is his full name so master card can refund lex and chase it up, unfortunately because its not a police matter they cant give us his details and the mobile phone company is the same.

finding him and getting the money back will make a huuuuuuuuuge difference to the rest of lexs time here so if anyone knows of him please please let us know smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

jc_firetricksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Can you tell me the name of his company....

With that info I will find out anything and everything you need to find him.

Just need the company name or abn champ smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
https://www.carsonline.com.au/KombiHire/kombi_info.html
is the only info we have about him frown all the money he paid into the bank was done in person which only requires a signature frown and the payment was made via credit card through a seperate company so mastercard dont have his details either 0423 658 230 is his mobile thats all the info we have frown

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Sry bro I am not much help then.... sounds like it was a bit dodgy to begin with though.

I hope all works out for you, if u hapen to get is bussiness name let me know. I am in the legal industry. smile

Good luck mate.

Just remember if you don't come of on top of this one, Karma has its way, probally why he is losing his bussiness.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
That blows big time. I'd also send a letter/email to carsonline and advise them of the situation so they can suspend his advertisment etc. And, I'd call the Dept of Fair Trading.... I know you don't have the business name, but perhaps they can offer you more advice, or chase things up from their end?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Ben,
Check your PMs. Quick search turned up a possible alternative mobile number.
Cheers!
Patrick

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
You can search with ASIC to find details of entity registrations.

https://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic_srchlodg.nsf/byheadline/Home+Page?opendocument#asic_search

This may not provide everything you need as he may be trading under several business names, possibly unregistered ones, and filed for personal bankruptcy. People do sneaky things when they are under pressure.

I did find a business name for "Rent-a-kombi Byron Bay" that has been removed. You can also contact information brokers to get copies of any filed documents you find:

https://www.asic.gov.au/asic/asic_srchlodg.nsf/byheadline/Information+brokers?opendocument

But you will have to pay for this stuff.

Its helpful if you have a name for the guy (check all correspondence for full names etc.) You can check and see if he has been "banned or disqualified under the corporations act" on the ASIC search pages.

This page will allow you to search for personal bankruptcy notices:

https://www.itsa.gov.au/

It will also give you good advice about recovering your debts.

Hope that helps

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Lesson 1

Don't mess with HOP ! :P

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ive emailed the site owner and am waitng with baited breath, after much telephone que waiting we have lodged a complaint with consumer affairs

this is a new link as of today which makes me very very mad https://www.carsonline.com.au/KombiHire/Kombi_for%20internet.htm

if the insurance premium for his existing cars is so much he has to take them all off the road how is having 20 more going to help !!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr anyone want to email him (all my email address have sent him/the site emails already) and pretend to be an investor and get his full name and address so they can go round for a look ubbangel

ezzBRONZE Member
moo..
1,899 posts

Posted:
I was going to do that but I got lost in it all..I still will if I start being able to read properly any time soon rolleyes

hug me!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
if you're really after him, you could have a look through some form of sydney's newspaper online, see if you can find anything about that couple that got married in one of his kombi's...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
hey ben, not sure if you have already performed a whois on the domain, but i went ahead and did it anyway.

sent a pm to you.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
You might want to try going directly to the credit card company since it certainly sounds like blatent fraud.. If you're lucky they'll make everything whole (on your side) again, and go after wherever the money was sent, who will make the credit card company whole and go after whoever accepted the payment..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hey joel tried it i dont think its the same guy as the carsonline site is an extension of an overseas company.

as for going to the credit card company basically what happened is the money went
lex-->mastercard-->3rd party-->bill

and without bills last name mastercard cant/wont do anything frown

he just sent lex a message saying hes payed another 150 (which hasnt showed up on her balence yet but that could just be a delay with the money going in) and that he will pay the rest tommorow

*fingers crossed* itll all be there tommorow night

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i have a friend who'll have connections in byron bay.

ill give him a call.

cheers, pete hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Aw no!! That sucks, I hope you manage to get it sorted guys hug

I presume Lex has taken the Kombi back yeah?

hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Hey! Dunc - I never actually got the van! He called me about a week before I was supposed to pick it up and said I couldn't have it! Thats when it all started...

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I'm just going to see what happens in the next two days (after the last text saying that some money has gone in today and some tomorrow). If not then I'll try a few of the suggestions...

hug hug to everyone...

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I miss you Lex..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I wonder what happened? Any luck with getting your money back, Lex?

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Yes would be very interested to see what happend.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i ment to post on this but forgot, after much pestering messaging etc lex managed to get all the money back smile

the moral of the story dont deal with ppl through the internet who u dont have easy of contact

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Great to hear that Lex got the money back. smile

enthusiast
205 posts

Posted:
Yer nice work Ben. Glad everything worked out. smile

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
did the bloke get a kicking??