roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
For those of you who don't know. 'Schoolies' is officially a week long (but everyone stays for longer) celebration in various places around Aus (mainly QLD, Lorne in VIC) that graduated year 12 students go to to get drunk and score.

Now I don't speak from experience here as I didn't go, I could have but I didn't want to. I'm glad I didn't. I keep hearing about all the attacks and I begin to wonder if it's all really worth it?

A lot of my friends are leaving to go within the next couple of days and I can't help but worry a little. Especially when in past years (and this year) there have been older men ('toolies') preying on girls

Have any Aussies here been to Schoolies? Feel free to completely disagree with me but I just don't think it's worth all the money people spend on flights, accommodation and alcohol going to one MASSIVE party in another state of the country full of drugs, binge drinking and various sexual/physical assaults.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I am in 2 very different mind about it. One, is with you; the assaults and insanity that goes on is not healthy.

However.

Me and my friend were talking about it the other day and we think that the media play is up terribly. The media have pretty much always hated young people and I think they really get stuck into them at Schoolies. Reasoning? Put that many adults in the same place, and similar stuff would happen. I was reading some statistics about arrests for public drinking over the weekend, made to look like Schoolies was so bad; but the figures were less than half the weekend's total and I believe that if you put a bunch of 30-somethings in the same sort of thing, they'd have the same amount of arrests as the Schoolies.

So as I'm getting kicked of the computer by my dad, them's my 2-cents. Partially Devil's Advocate, but I do actually believe that that many adults wouldn't be angels either.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I went to Schoolies (Surfers Paradise) at the end of 1995. The day we left Sydney was my 18th birthday.

Now, I guess you could say I was already somewhat street smart at that time in my life... I'd been there, done that and knew what situations are best to avoid. My friends and I had loads of fun, did a couple of typical Schoolies Week things (boat cruise, theme restaurant, drink copious amounts of alcohol etc)... However, we were already "alternative" so didn't really mix with the masses.

Schoolies seems a lot more different now, 10 years down the track ( O MY GOD! I'm OLD! wink ) however I think any smart individual should be able to cope. Be intuitive - as a female, don't go off with several unknown males, as a male - don't ogle/fondle another guy's girlfriend and be smart about testosterone fuelled situations.... Be aware of your alcohol limitations, and create some ground rules with your friends "no matter what, don't let me go home with anyone..." etc.

Be smart.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
My perception is that it's no longer a bunch of people celebrating the end of their school life, but a ritual getting wasted exercise. Having the displeasure of driving through Airlie a couple of days ago and having a couple of drunk people (at 6 am!) throw themselves in front of my car, plus seeing some young women comatose by the side of the road doesn't do it any favours in my mind.

Airlie is bad at any time of the year, but usually not *that* bad.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I think any smart individual should be able to cope. Be intuitive - as a female, don't go off with several unknown males, as a male - don't ogle/fondle another guy's girlfriend and be smart about testosterone fuelled situations.... Be aware of your alcohol limitations, and create some ground rules with your friends "no matter what, don't let me go home with anyone..." etc.

Unfortunately, it seems as though not everyone is that smart. Alcohol can do such terrible things and it makes me sad hearing about it frown

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yes, but is the existence of stupid people to ruin things for others?

well, in some ways, yes, but just because some people are stupid doesn't mean everyone shouldn't be able to do things... nanny states are... *hangs head, walks out of room*

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

twistedfirestartermember
53 posts

Posted:
hey.
I went to schoolies last year, it was a smaller even on magnetic island, there were a few hundred others there though. I had a great time, it really depends on what you do while your there. I drank and had a great time, I didn't see any problems over there really. Except me spraining my ankle, lol. I think it's what you make it...just like anything else. I agree media do tend to twist stories for the worse...I suggest you go with brilliant friends who will look at for you as you would them. That makes for a good time. smile

~*~peace and trust takes years to build, yet takes only seconds to shatter~*~

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
One of my friends brothers is currently in Torquay at schoolies.

Im not allowed to do schoolies next year, but Im thinking about going bush with some friends or something just to chill out. But I dont know...

As for what I think about schoolies, I think going away with mates after exams is a great idea to unwind, but the stuff that is associated with schoolies isnt a great idea. Maybe go elsewhere if you want to get away, and not go to the big party spots, or wait a few weeks until schoolies is pretty much over. Also, I do believe that the media blows things out of the water, I know they do it with outdoor rec stuff, and they will do the same with schoolies.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
This all sounds to me just like a club 18 to 30 holliday. Meh go ahead and go, just watch out for yourself, all those bad things could happen anywhere in any town drinking in any bar/club or at any large party.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

poitasticnewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Im 16, havnt been YET but here we go.

The media does play it up, the redfern riots seemed all big and horable, but if you describe the size it would be: one street with about 25 guys on each end.

Yet the media said something along the lines of: the streets were filled with violence today as the city of redfern erupted into a riot.triggered by the death of a child of the comunity, the hate was chaneled into violence that will scar the streets forever.

I asked someone at redfern what it was like and they lived down the street and didnt even notice it was hapening.

now, the worst news reports ive heard about schoolies were something along the lines of: There were a number of arests of toolies (in a nutshel)

I mean common, what else3 can i say?

If ther are any poi spinners out there in the sydney area and wana meet up, e-mail meh at benpietershawke(at)bigpond(dot)com

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i met a group of people that had come down to tassie for shoolies instead of big spots on the mainland to avoid all the problems, such as toolies. they seemed to still have a good time, plus i had a good laugh at their drunk antic!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Apparently there were five reported sexual assaults from the weekend in WA. I am sure many more girls have not came forward and regret decisions made under the influence.
I wonder if there are many predators looking for boys to pick up as well when they are paraletic with drink, and if the boys would report it if it did happen.
My friend was assualted by two men in a toilet when he was 17 and it traumatised his developement emotionally and physically.

Written by:

Police shocked by leavers' sex attacks
Police are investigating five sex attacks during this year's schoolies' celebrations in the South-West, including three possible rapes, and warn that young people are increasingly putting themselves at risk by treating sex as a sport

From The West Australian

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
I didn't even go i just got really drunk at a after party thing and just moved on.

The problem with schoolie's is accually not the grand 12 . It's all these other loser's (not their age or grade) trying to pick up the young girls.

It's scary the things you don't hear about like last year 4 kids aphixated on their own vomit .

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

BumfroIts a bum with an afro...
223 posts

Posted:
I got back last week from skoolies up at surfers paradise and i had the best week of my life.

Got very drunk, met lots of cool people, everyone i met was friendly and just having a good time, i didnt hear much bad stuff, but there are older toolies there, but again i didnt hear about much bad stuff.

There is alot of drugs there, but there are not the huge bashings that people say. There are alot of police there to keep watch.

Ive seen more violence and bad sh!t happen at a local party then a week at skoolies.

Racism is a weapon of mass destruction