Forums > Social Chat > The concept of distance...

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Today the boy insists that kansas is far away from michigan. I say "No, its not, I can get there in a day!"
He bursts out laughing. And tells me he can get to germany in a day. ergo, germany is not far away smile
But its really weird how different people think different things are far and close... i mean my mum communtes 85 miles one way often enough... I never think anything about going to places within about half an hour/an hour from where i am by whatever means of transportation....
going four/five hours to somewhere and staying two nights is common practice, one night is acceptable in this case, driving 7 or 8 hours and staying two nights is cool too.... I've gone 3/4 hours for day trips before ^_^

So.... whats "far" and whats "close"?

and should i have put this in discussion/?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Might be nice in discussion, but whatever...

Speaking of this, we went on a group expedition to Vienna last night (a three hour drive) for an exhibition opening, left at 4pm arrived at 8 (traffic) stayed 'til 2am, got back at 6am.... i didn't drive but given that i feel completely dead this morning, it seems like an excessively long trip.

But where i am at the moment, everything would be considered quite far in comparison to where i live in the UK, because it involves getting in a car to go there, but then that's normal, so it's actually not considered to be so far...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Ironically enough, I can get to Australia in a day biggrin

Well, 24 hours... Does that mean that Australia is close? ubbangel

For me, "close" is probably anywhere within about 1.5 hours journey.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i tend to prefer to measure distances using distances rather than the time required to get there... wink

'close' means i can walk/cycle there or get a short cab/bus ride.

'local' means its drivable and is within london or the north-east home counties.

'miles away' covers everything else.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

1,643 posts

Posted:
yeah, this is also my usual measure of distance when in the UK although i don't drive, so 'local' has to be easily train or bus-able. biggrin

but then i can easily get a train or bus also to an airport and a plane to slovenia, so it's not quite miles away...

austrailia is because i wouldn't want to spend 24 hours on a plane just for a weekend, for example...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
it'll 'only' be 19 hours london-sydney soon...

still doesn't make it close though.

*goes back to work on the teleporter*

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
But cole, i notice you used neither distances nor times to measure our own distances... tongue

and see if i say how far it is thats only helpful if we know how i'm getting there, i.e 5 miles is a bit of a walk and a less than ten minute drive....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

1,643 posts

Posted:
but also, for me, it depends on more than just distance, if it's going to take me, three different buses to get there, then it counts as further, if it costs a lot, it's also further, if i can't walk a nice route and have to go along a main road with all the traffic, it's dire and counts as too far....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ubblol

i don't actually take things like that into account as "distance" but only in whether i will go, altho a worse route makes it seem longer yes, and if it actually makes it longer than it counts. cost just makes things more annoying-
i should start counting comfort tho- i was knackered after the trip to england, well, knackered on it more like. I still can't belive I actually made the flight to manc- even if my luggage missed tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Kyri, I think the same way you do. That's partially because I live an hours drive from all my friends, and also partially because in live in TX which is freaking huge and takes days to just drive out of.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
'Close' is just round the corner to about half an hours walk, or within the boundaries of edinburgh.
'not too far' is from there to about an hours' drive. e.g. my work is not too far, cos it takes me about an hour to drive there.
'a bit of a hike' is from about 2 - 4 hours drive.
anything further is 'bloody miles away'!

Having said that I think nothing of driving to tewkesbury (8.5 hour there, 6.5 back - work that one out!) to sit in a baking hot field for 2 days watching a bunch of nutters in armour beat each other up and complain about being too hot (yes, well, you are wearing padding, chainmail and plate armour in blazing sunshine you fool)
Coming back from Falmouth was a bit of a bugger it must be said. Got home about 2am. Very long drive that one.

I think the perspective on distance is also related to the mode of transport. What is 'a long way' when you're walking seems like hardly any distance when driving. And places seem further away when travelling by deathly slow bus than by train. Convenience is also a factor. If there's no station for example, it's going to seem further away.

Perhaps there should be an equation involving these factors, who's good at maths? ubblol

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
*wishes the earth were flat like thought in old times, so he could fold the landscape like origami and be right with his girlfriend in Pennslyvania.

That is all. hug

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

thegreatBJWoman! Not gay Man!
332 posts

Posted:
yea well for some people hull to scunthorpe is too far... em... possibly shouldnt ahve said that... but i'll post it anyway

I AM NOT A GAY MAN!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
time and space are all relative, if somewhere takes ages to get to it's a long way simple as.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ravehead, no offense sweetie, but your post could benefit from enough sentence structure to be comprehensible....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
non taken...........i think............i don't know actually........hmmmmmmmmm *thinks*

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I cycled 50 miles to Brighton at 1am cos i was bored and wanted to see the sea

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
That's a good idea Pyrowill...

I drove 450 miles because I wanted to meet other people from HoP rolleyes

When's Fal 5? ubbangel

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
oooh will's suddenly jumped up a few more coolness levels in my book.....

smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
As some of you know I used to drive 100 miles (about 2 hours) about 3 times a week to see my ex. and that was to stay the night and about 4 of company.
and think nothing about a 250 mile drive (as long as i can afford the fuel)
If i have the time to spare it's cool. but I consider france a long way away and cornwall close....but in reality it's closer and cheaper for me to get to france (don't fancy it tho)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
30 minutes is about my max. Then it's a trip.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura