Forums > Videos > Home of Poi - Video Podcasts

Login/Join to Participate

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Three-quarters of the Mp3 market is dominated by the iPod, that's a lot of people with iPods and a lot more people downloading podcasts off iTunes. Imagine someone sitting across from you watching a fire twirling video performance that they just subscribed to off iTunes, then you realise it's your video!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I give to you the preview of Home of Poi - Video Podcasts What are Podcasts?

With the green light from Malcolm and waiting the approval of Apple to add it to the iTunes Music Library, the HoP Podcast is in it's final stages of development.

If you have subscribed to a podcast in iTunes before, you might not actually know that you are actually subscribing to a RSS feed.

Don't have an iPod?

You can subscribe to the RSS feed without iTunes on homeofpoi.com and download the latest videos and play them on any device of your choosing. All video will be converted to h.264 (MPEG-4 part 10) before they're uploaded to the feed, .wmv will not be supported.

The following image is how you would access the RSS feed from HoP (most browsers already support RSS and the next version of IE will allow you to click the icon in the address bar the same way):

https://idisk.mac.com/okeyes/Public/hoprss.png

Upon opening the RSS Feed from which you can subscribe to, view and download the best performance Videos from the HoP community.

https://idisk.mac.com/okeyes/Public/rssfeed.png

After subscribing to the Home of Poi - Video Podcast in iTunes:

https://idisk.mac.com/okeyes/Public/podcast.png

Special Thanks goes out to Malcolm and Bender for the use of his video for testing.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Cool. I don't understand all this but I think I like it... Will you be under the bridge on friday?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
It's funny you should mention that, I've been so busy the last couple of months that I haven’t made it down to circus nor under the bridge but I should be there this Friday. I think own Ben some money for Common Ground that I couldn't make it to.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
are podcasts similar to RSS feeds?
i use feed demon RSS agregator, it's immensely helpful for twarling the net for useful stuffskis...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: Dave Winer

Think how a desktop aggregator works. You subscribe to a set of feeds, and then can easily view the new stuff from all of the feeds together, or each feed separately.

Podcasting works the same way, with one exception. Instead of reading the new content on a computer screen, you watch the new content on an iPod or iPod-like device.

Think of your iPod as having a set of subscriptions that are checked regularly for updates. Today there are a limited number of programs available this way. The format used is RSS 2.0 with enclosures.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
This is all very exciting, been waiting for the technology to get here for a while.

Don't think i'd ever want an ipod tho, does this work on an sony PSP? Because those things have the sweetest screens and a fat processor. Plus i hear you'll be able to load linux onto them and use them as a tiny laptop smile

Count me in for making a load of videos smile

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

6,978 posts

Posted:
thanks matthew, i wondered about that!!
rss is such a time saver. i intend to add a feed to my site now that i've learnt XML (generated from ASP 3.0) I want to be able to track how slowly content is added to my site lol.

i wonder if ubbthreads have a plugin that creates an RSS feed that can HoP forum headlines or newest posts... t'would make the massive and growing amount of humanity-expression that much easier to skim thru.

plus a 'new/special products' rss feed would prevent my constant complaint of 'what? COL 2005 / stitched poi heads / flat handled innercores are out!??! and nobody sent me a card?! and Fiona Apple won't call me?!!'

mmm fiona..

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Written by: bender

i wonder if ubbthreads have a plugin that creates an RSS feed that can HoP forum headlines or newest posts... t'would make the massive and growing amount of humanity-expression that much easier to skim thru.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/feeds/help/index.php

6,978 posts

Posted:
GOLD! how could i have missed it all this time?!! thanks for the linkage mate!!
my agregator thanks you too.
that it is, if it had lips, a voicebox and a sentient mind...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Because it wasn't there before biggrin

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Wow, great idea, My iTunes is ready to download all the great content....

erm.....

Where is that coming from by the way? Are you mirroring HoP downloads? linking to them? what?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I download them and converted them to H.264 and placed them on my webspace with everything else.

You can click on the title or "read more" in the rss feed which links to the hop thread where that video was first posted and discussed. Clicking on the image of the video in the rss feed opens it in browser with the quicktime plug-in or starts to download it.

Should be good when all the browsers support rss like Mac's Safari browser.

****Latest News****

Podcast added to iTunes and is fully functional.

You can subscribe through iTunes with the link below:

Open Podcast in iTunes (Click Here)

I'll make a new post on how to submit or recommend videos, until then PM me with any performance you would like to be added.

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
there's only one up rght now...hmm.
i think loads of really great vids should be put up like...nick woolseys and burnt toast..

the only thing worth dying for is life itself