Zyk0tiKnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,

I'm totally new here, infact i've only been poi'ing for... i dunno a day or so :P My girlfriend got me into it ;P

So yeah, I got the 3-beat weave in 10 mins or so of starting, but I messed up on a bit and as they were swinging round on my right hand side my poi went at an angle and I ducked and it went over my head. So now i include it on my 3 beat weave occasionally, my girlfriend saw it and said it looks awesome biggrin is it already a move or not?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Written by:

..swinging round on my right hand side my poi went at an angle and I ducked and it went over my head...
[/quite]

Windmill?
Can you describe it cleanly.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Zyk0tiKnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
heh, sorry, :P

Well it's like a 3 beat weave but when it comes around on my right side, my left poi makes a circle over my head. I'll try and get a video of it. If I can you'll have to excuse my poor technique, i've been doing it less than a day :P Though I have progressed pretty quick, tbh :P I can sometimes to a 4 beat and ONCE did a 5 beat-ish but it got wrong :P

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
it reminds me of my alternate 5 beat instead of 5-5 you do a 7-3

Zyk0tiKnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
i'd like to see that some time smile

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
sounds to me like it's a three beat weave, but you broke the plane.

Personally, i reckon you should build up slowly, and spend time getting everything right in the three beat before pushing to get 5bt and stuff. Learn your turns. Give yourself solid foundations that you can build on. No good getting a 7bt weave in a week if it looks poo and you can't spin three backwards...

Not having a go at you here, just something i've found works for me smile

*waits for someone to come in and tell us all that 'moves don't exist'*

Plus, there's differing definitions on what a move is. But you'll find one that works for you smile
EDITED_BY: MiG (1130738041)

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
rather think some clarification is needed before one starts deciding its a new move lol. So does the poi make a circle in the HORIZONTAL plane or does your HAND just go back behind you in some way? For instance, one of the quick variations i learned on the 3bt that i use when spinning sounds similar to what you are describing. do a 3bt normally, and as you are about to cross over (to the right in your case) the lead hand (left in this case, going to the right side) will back and over my head before coming down on my right side. kinda just changes the look of the circle a bit. I also typically do this in a reverse 3bt because i think it looks better this way. Do a 3bt reverse but as your FOLLOW hand is about to cross, put it behind your head and accross, so the poi cricle seems moved up and behind u.

anwyays, good job on getting the weave motion that fast, now lets see you get it BOTH directions and CLEAN with a turn.

there is always somewhere to go with poi, even if its the same moves just cleaned up!!

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Wicked, Does anyone wanna tell Zyk0tiK how deep the rabbit hole goes?

Probably best you find out on your own.

Have fun

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I am here to make an offical statement:
Moves do not exist.

How was that MiG? biggrin

Oh...and btw... Zyk0tik...the hole goes further than anything you have ever, or will ever see/ have seen. tongue

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
That did about right, Mr. UCOF jedi sir.

*spins no moves*

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
you people and your no moves... stop confusing the poor boy... there are moves.. its just that there is only one.. the same one we've all been working on.. its the move that never ends.. well.. at least until you hit yourself square in the ear..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
or nuts. or the eye (as i did at the CarnEvil party here this last saturday and now havea giant black eye to show for it)

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Zyk0tiKnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Hehe, no moves, eh? *shrugs*

Yeah I do verticle circles, I look at myself in the window and it looks really neat and tidy. I have worked out this new series I do, I do a 3 beat weave then when it comes round on my right side I keep my arms crossed, do another 2 circles with both poi on both sides of my body, then pull them back around and flip my left poi over my head and continue in a 3 beat. Looks hot smile also I do a weird 3 beat weave mixed up with a reach for the sun or whatever it's called. I'm learning pretty fast smile

I got all the basic "moves" wink down, and i'm just working on combinations of mixing them all together half way though other moves and stuff, i'm getting pretty good results smile Poi rocks <3

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
it sounds like a shoulder reel to me

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
yes, but can you do it backwards? and turn? Like the others say, theres no point learning 'all the moves' really fast when you skip the basics like those, you just end up making it harder for yourself in the long run if you don't get the early basic moves perfect.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Every move can be done foreward or backward with turn to left or right.
wink

POI THEO(R)IST

Zyk0tiKnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
Woo hoo! I was playing around, learned reverse 3-beat weave in approximately 10 seconds. My girlfriend was super impressed. Ended up teaching her it, too. Took her a lot longer though :P I am progressing super fast and i'm not doing messy spinning, I always make sure I do it until i've got it super clean. Yay!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
you can go the ball smile

POI THEO(R)IST

Libby_TuesdaySILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
Written by: UglyCowsOfFrance

I am here to make an offical statement:
Moves do not exist.

How was that MiG? biggrin

Oh...and btw... Zyk0tik...the hole goes further than anything you have ever, or will ever see/ have seen. tongue

Next thing we know, someone will be saying 'It's not the poi that spins, only yourself...' ubblol ubbloco

No poi can pierce my skintanium armour! (Though they can bruise it...)

"I don't really say quotable things..." - Linden Rathen

"Is this Flora special?" - Linden
"I dunno, ask it" - GothFrogette

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
weeelll...

If you did an extended stall with a forward flip, or maybe a funky pirouette...

"master"
--FSA

--Rougie

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Zyk0tiK - its not about how fast youre progressing, its about enjoying spinning and getting the moves down and every which way you can think of while keeping your planes. I thought i was progressing incredibly fast, learning all the hop lessons in a week but i realised i couldnt do half the moves as cleanly as i can now.

Dont move on from a move when you *think* you've got it cleanly, practice it for a while, make sure you can spin it for at least 10 mins without hitting yourself or even coming close and not losing your rhythm. As people have said, learn all the turns and transitions before moving onto 5 beats and silly moves like that.

Also when people begin spinning, they tend to just stand stock still and do trick after trick without any kind of movement. Work on that before going onto more advanced moves, find your style and it will help your spinning so much and make everything flow and just look a hell of a lot better.

Beth x

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
If your enjoying it nothing else matters. What or how fast you learn or how good you spin.

My lack of moves and lack of style or ability to move my own body has been annoying me more than I was enjoying spinning so I'm hoping my brain will get back on track and stop caring so much.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
And don't forget that the most important thing as you progress is that you have built a solid foundation.

My mum told me a great little quote yesterday:

The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse eats the cheese ubblol

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol! mean but funny biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?