SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
My cat managed to catch a big brown rat a day ago and brought it in the house. It obviously fought back as my cat has the scars to prove it. Well to cut a long story short the rat is now free inside my house, despite many attempts to get it out of the house it seems to want to stay.

It smells sooooooooooooo bad and I really want rid of it. I need to find somewhere that sells humane rat traps so I can catch it and then release it back out in the wild where it belongs. Anyone know where I can get one in the UK?

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
you can, i think, get cat/rodent/small wildlife traps, that basically act as cages.

_________

\--------|

-\-------|

_________|

(dodgy ascii art..

Ignore the -, they're only there cos this don't like lots of spaces)

You open it, put bait in, and put it somewhere. When the bait is taken, the lid closes, and voila, you have a solution.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
www.pestproducts.com/humane_live_traps

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
thank you for your replies.

I know what the traps look like. I just need to know where I can purchase one in the uk.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
https://www.trap-man.com/rat-trap-multi-catch-humane-rat-trap.htm
(this is UK, despite the fact it's .com)

https://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/rat_mouse_traps.htm#live_animal_cage_trap

https://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/rat_mouse_traps.htm#monarch

smile Good luck, and good on you for going humane. Worth noting, from The Vegan Soc. website, "CHECK TRAPS REGULARLY - at least every 6 hours, preferably more often, as mice may die in them if not promptly released." I know it's not a mouse, but there's no point trapping it humanely for it to suffocate slowly wink
EDITED_BY: nearly_all_gone (1127906602)

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
um if its any help my brother had a mouse problem a while ago and managed to pick up one of those cage things from the local hardware shop,so i would imagine if you've got a fairly big one near you,you could try that?sorry can't be of more help.

ooh and well done for doing it humanely,its good to see!x

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the links NAG. I particulally like the pic on one site ubblol

Non-Https Image Link

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

I particulally like the pic on one site ubblol

Non-Https Image Link

"Lemme out you bugger!" ubblol

Ah, I was tickled by the imprisoned Rat. That'll teach you, theiving sod! Just because I don't want to kill 'em doesn't mean I have to like 'em wink

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Oh I quite like my rat apart from the smell. If he wasn't so wiffy I would wait for him to get bored and leave.

Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
They freak me out... the tails, mainly... and since reading 1984 at the age of about 11 I've always had a Winston Smith-like dread of them wink

Thoreau

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I used to keep rats as pets (not the so smelly kind though). They have a very sweet tooth, so things like frosties (the cereal), would work well as bait.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Why ot let your cat catch it? Dont tell me you think letting animals do what animals do isnt humane?

I love rats tho myself, domesticated ones, wild MICE tho i also like, well ok I dont mind them at least. Theres one that lives in my room actualy, think it came in from the barn next door.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I honestly believe that the ones that instantly kill the rat are the most humane.

I've seen rats and mice literally die of fright when caught in "humane" traps. And they always come back, if you let them go.

The sticky ones are by far the worst.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Oh god, rat traps look so brutal.

Some you actually screw to the floor... most of em have countless spikes.

Eugh.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
eek
frown

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
the rat probably thinks he has gone to heaven and will try get caughht by the cat agin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
i used to have a humane mouse trap, which was made of plastic. my sister and i had a mouse in our house which just would not be caught by conventional mouse traps. it would eat the bait, but escape being squished.

after several weeks we tried the humane mouse trap, which neither of us had much faith in after the amount of times the mouse got away. however within a couple of hours of setting it, we had a little mousey caught in the trap.

the only problem then was that we had no idea what to do with it from there. we ended up freeing it in a park. apologies to anyone who lived near that park redface

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
The rat in my case appears to have got out of the house through the cat flap and scarpered all by itself. I'm just hoping it hasn't gone out to get re-enforcements so that it can come back and take over ubblol

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
My friend tried trapping "his" rat humanely. It was too smart though. Then one day one of the guys in his flat opened the fridge a bit too violently. They heard a sound, and realised he had squashed the rat dead between the fridge door and the wall. shrug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
humane rat trap?? open a window, set up a small catapult, loat it with cheese and hide patiently biggrin

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey skuls, much respect to you for going out of your way to avoid causing undue suffering.
might i suggest that now would be a good time to set about further minimising the appeal for rats to stay: putting food away, clearing scraps, not letting Jon mark his territory...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok an update

Sadly the rat did not get free by itself. It did infact die. It is now smelling very very bad. I can't get the smelly lil bugger out either as it is wedged between the wall and a very expensive kitchen cabinet. I am now armed with a grabber from work and HOPE that this evening I will be able to pull it out before I throw up. I never knew that dead rats could smell soooooo bad. It is vile!

Bender hun, the rat was only in my house because my cat caught it down by the canal and brought it home. It was a BIG rat and my cat got bitten by it once he had pulled it into the house through the cat flap. After that my cat was too scared of it to go after it. I think it died because it had nothing to eat and maybe because of the shock of being trapped in a house with a crazy woman and a wimp of a cat ubblol

Thanks for all the advice. Fingers crossed I can get it with the grabber.