Forums > Social Discussion > Fire Poi, is it used too much?

Login/Join to Participate

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I dont like watching fire poi, I guess I just think its overused alot of the time, I rarly see tail or flag (or any other tpyes I havnt heard of yet) poi its mainly fire and glow. Perhaps Im just getting show to fire all the time when I do a search on the web I could be just missing out on seeing the other types, or is that everyone elses experiance, is fire too popular? Its not only the fact I think its overused you often only get to focus on the fire and I prefere to see the performer and there hand movments as much as I like to see the poi spin, with fire (and glow to a lesser extent) Its ahrd to notice anything esle other than the poi wicks burning, and I prefere to see both performer and poi moving not just the poi.

No offense to anyone who uses fire itsa telent I'll never have I know that (and will never try because I dont wanna risk it lol)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Fire is a treat.

I spend all my time spinning socks and flags (not tails though, they get severely in the way). I love my fire poi though. The sound of them rushing by your head literally inches from your ear is amazing! Plus I think the danger adds to the fun (even though it really isnt that dangerous at all). Imagine skateboarding if you knew you'd never bail. Where would the fun be in that?

A lot of the time I spin in the dark too. Clubs, parties, parks at night, etc.
It gets a bit boring if you cant see what you are doing.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I mainly spin with tail poi, despite someone a few weeks ago calling them fake poi mad
Occasionly I spin with electroglo poi, but only when I feel like something differant, mainly I use tail poi... but don't expect to see me out and about with them... I only spin in the quietness of my street frown

~Leah~GOLD Member
addict
584 posts

Posted:
I usally spin with my hot pink tail poi. I still love my fire, but most of the time I'm just to lazy to get every thing ready for the fire! I like to be safe which means the damp towel, safety person ect. eek

Never hold your farts in! They travel up your spine, go into your brain and that's where shitty idea's come from.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Different communities emphasize different poi. If you're seeing too much fire, try places like London. If your sick of socks, try Burningman. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
May I suggest taking a trip down under, I'm from the wonderful "Land of the long white cloud" (eg NZ) where we have the traditional Maori poi which look wondeful & totally different to the fire poi. It's absolutely amazing to see "concert" put on by the local marae. Incedentally, that's where mt original interest in poi came from.

Are you up for it?
wink;)

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Everyone around here's all about the tails. I was quite miffed when somebody made fun of my socks (heartheart), but she was quickly silenced by a nice hyperloop combination.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
i love my flags to bits...in fact aimee and i seem to have a bit of a flag fetish going on.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Around here it's mostly socks and tails with fire for special at Moonfest when the moon is often so bright you can see the fire AND the spinner!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Frederick the RecklessBRONZE Member
Troupe Leader and founder, Fire and Steel
241 posts

Posted:
personally, i think poi is the most overdone fire prop in general... when people ask if i ust them, i say,"no... everyone else uses them for me." truth of the matter, sad though it is: whenever i go to the portland firejam, i see poi used nearly 50 to 1 versus every other prop combined. i think this is largely due to the fact that it's too easy a prop. (my 12 year-old son figured poi out in an afternoon, and in 4 hours was pulling off moves with his flag poi that i have seen people with years of experience still having trouble with... and he had no teacher.) i long for the day when the fire performance community plays all the props equally, so there's some variety for a change. (when the only variety i get at a firejam is that some moron ties his head up with his own poi, this is just sad.)

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Well in Brighton I find fire poi are the lesser-used fire-props. its all about staff and juggling down here (fire-wize). But as far as non-fire props go, there are loads of poiers around, especially on the beach, and all different kinds, flags,sock,long-tail,short-tail,baton,mouse,stars,furry etc. I myself play with my flags, batons,socks or tails 90% of the time,fire is just a treat on a pleasant evening (you just cant beat the sound, the feeling or the smell of parrafin). It's been said before, it all depends on where you go.Too much? pah!

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
In the US on the whole, absolutely, to an absurd degree where fire is a goal and where people become falsely pretentious and forget to enjoy poi for the lovely art that it is all on it's own.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
Fredrick the Reckless---- whille i agree that there are far more poi spinners then anything else, i also think that poi brings alot of people to other fire arts, because poi is fairly easy to start with it introdces people in the the world of juggling and fire arts, as people become skilled with poi they often branch into using other toys

Lyra

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
In my spinning group, Im pretty much the best one. When we're out practicing and night falls, everyone wants me to spin fire. Its pretty much forced and its annoying. I can have just as much fun, if not more, spinning socks or tails but when I say "I dont feel like it right now" I get teased by them saying "Oh yeah, youre too good to spin fire for us now huh?" The only time I really like spinning fire is when Im performing or when Im really in the mood. Other than that, Id rather spin socks.

I know some people who ONLY want to spin fire. I think its stupid and a cry for attention. IMO - if you cant enjoy spinning without the fire, you shouldnt be spinning.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I spin staff mainly, and I love fire. There's none of the "I just want to use fire because it makes me look cool" in my thoughts at all. There's generally no-one around when I do fire anyway, so I'm impressing no-one. (My safety has seen it all before) For me, the fire makes it so much easier to get into the groove of staffing. I enjoy the flames, and enjoy the sound.

I think people who don't try fire at least once are missing out on a whole new world, but it's their decision. I enjoy spinning without fire, but really only when I'm trying to learn new moves or it's daylight.

What's your basis for saying "if you cant enjoy spinning without the fire, you shouldnt be spinning."? Isn't that like saying:

"If you can't enjoy skating without the jumps, you shouldn't be skating."

???

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

241 posts

Posted:
while poi SOMETIMES leads to other types of performance, i know too many people who learn poi, then rest on their laurels, not brave enough, or too egotistical, or for whatever reason not willing, to learn any other prop. these people are the reason poi outnumbers everything else 50 to 1. i can't for the life of me understand why once you learn one prop, you wouldn't want to learn more.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Poi has introduced me to staff and diablo. However, I don't think that I could ever stop poi because I have "become good enough". I enjoy poi because of the unending challanges and little succeses of developing my ability.

So, IMHO, if people decide to stick to one form and not go into anything else, I respect that. It is about your attitude to the art you do AND the arts that other people do.

Vareity is cool though. I've only seen 1 person doing diablo, and 1 playing with devil sticks. this is a novelty here in Cape Town biggrin

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I'm not getting the whole debate... I mean, of course, as a performer, if you see people doing firepoi and not much else, you get bored. But to the audience I don't think it matters that much if someone spins poi or a staff or clubs.
And as long as people enjoy spinning fire, why on earth do some of you feel you have to criticise them for it? I like spinning with and without fire, currently more without given that my wrist isn't working as it should, and I'd probably keep burning myself, but I'd never tell someone off for using no fire or for using fire unless they're careless.
I can understand why people are drawn to fire, and if they choose poi and not another toy, fine. Would you tell someone off for using percussions in music just because nearly every band does? You're having a go at people for doing what they feel good about - if they're not willing to learn or perform with another toy, why do you care? Not everyone has time, money, patience and talent to be really good at five (or even one!) disciplines and buy or make the props necessary.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Another part of the popularity of poi (and staff) is that the fire versions of poi and staff work well.

Given a good degree of skill developed with unlit poi/staff, it's a fairly straightforward transition to fire chains/fire staff and, to an average audience, fairly skillful spinning looks good.

Contrast this with fire juggling, where one can develop a high level of club skills, yet juggling fire in the dark is not such an easy transition because you have to deal with the fact that you can't see the handles, plus you're throwing and catching.

To look as impressive to the average audience as a fairly skilled spinner, you're going to have to develop very high fire juggling skills.

Fire diabalo has it's issues (dangerously hot metal and string invisibility), as does fire devil-stick (slipperiness due to fuel on stick).

Of all the available tools, poi and staff translate most readily to fire use.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

I'm not getting the whole debate...

You're telling me.

I think this thread sums up, for me, all that is bad about this community. We should be here to share ideas and meet others, not point fingers at people who choose to do something differently.

devil

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

241 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

if you see people doing firepoi and not much else, you get bored. But to the audience I don't think it matters that much if someone spins poi or a staff or clubs.

in portland, the AUDIENCES are burnt out on poi. (BAD PUN NOT INTENDED) NOT just the dancers. and i'm not having a go at anyone. if i were, i'd be much harsher in my choice of words. the fact of the matter is, in portland there are too many poi users, not enough variety. the audience kinda views it now as, "well, they are doing poi again...hey, what's on tv?" if there were more balance, then poi wouldn't be old hat. there would be that spicy thing called variety everyone likes so much, and audiences wouldn't get bored to tears before they saw someone using--- oh- egad! a staff! how innovative! and no, i'm not being a jerk, just stating the audience's reactions where i spin.

Frederick the Reckless,
Troupe Leader,
Fire and Steel

Josie-PosieBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
I am fairly new to poi (2-3 months) and i am just getting to the stage when my friends - who are not spinners go ohhhhhhh when i do stuff. I love using tail poi, flags and now glow poi. I would like fire some day but not until i'm not not dangerous anymore. I think the aspiration to fire is because it marks a point when you can say "yeah i'm getting kinda good at this". The other thing that attracts people to poi is you can be come compitent reasonably quickly but there is so much to expreiment with you could just keep going forever. Where as juggleing is a bit like throw throw drop and back to the begining. Also being hit by a tenis ball is not as painful as being smacked on the top of the head by a huge lump of wood!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol, hey dont point fingers and start ranting. People have views on fire poi and no ones slagged anyone off or anything yet. You would know if they did they would be useing insults and much harsher language. Calm down children or I will have to bang your heads together!

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I love all my fire props.

No, actually I just love fire. Really, I find it fascinating. (I'm sure I've said that i'm a massive science geek before). Something wich looks like it has form but is in fact just an illusion caused by the dispersion of energy. It makes brilliant photo's too, not just with poi (or other props).

I blame all those 'matches, matches, never touch' talks at school.
Well, that and my A-Level chemistry teacher who loved to show us what happened when you burn things. (if only i could find my work on coloured flames). Ok, those two and being in cub scouts when I was a kid. (this is turning into a 'what did romans ever do for us?' moment tongue )

In fact - poi are the only props that I have a 'non-fire' variant of.

Right I'll stop sounding like a pyromaniac now.
I think I'm just missing my regular fire spins while I have no-one to do them with frown

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh dear, speaking of never play with matches, you seen that cartoon they show during the daytime when the kids are at school. With the firefly who picks up a match and burns his wing while hes flying in the air playing with matches and he ends up burning down the bug city?

Its so lame and funny in a childish sort of way, the only thing you can pretty much accidently set on fire with a match is like single sheets of newspaper and then you can like blow out the flames with your nostril breath lol

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I've just started poi recently but up until about six months ago I'd never seen fire poi. I'd seen plenty of socks and flags and various other fire props. I don't think they are over used but I think it depends on where you are. I can't wait till I think I'm good enough to try fire. I want to be able to do a routine to Nightwish - Slaying the Dreamer without hitting myself.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
firetwirling is well wicked,
and was compelling enough for you to join this forum and post on this thread.

how grateful am I that in this life i had the chance to know what firetwirling feels like*

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
I know what you mean about not seeing the full extent of the tricks with fire poi, but the fire realy makes up for that. when i practise my staff at the beach during the day most people are facinated by the techniques and the skillfullness of all the different moves, its all good. at night you attract a different sort of crowd, when they see the fire, usualy from a distance, they are curious and come over to have a look. but most wouldnt notice in the slightest all of the tricky hand movements, they mainly enjoy the throws and burnoffs, just cause average people have never seen or heard of fire arts so when they see it its just "oooo fire!!", not bagin em out or anything, just how it is. its just wat people see.

but if you ask almost any performer that spins/juggles fire, its almost always about the rush of spinning fire, not the crowds. i know i'd much preffer to be in a complete trance while spinning fire by my self than to have people watch your every move.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
im with pyro monkey on this

i dont spin for the audience - most of the time i avoid it - i dont mind being watched but when i spin i tend to blank out everything else

if the audience is bored with fire poi well thats their problem but i know i wont be

i spin other stuff during the day and LEDs or UV stuff at night if i dont have the time for fire

but theres nothing wrong with doing something you enjoy

back