Forums > Social Chat > Games to play with kids

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So there are all sorts of games that people would play with me when I was a kid.

Bad Bird

One of the most inventive was one that my uncle came up with. He would fold his hand to look like the head of a bird (fingers out flat with thumb against them) and then point it at me. Then it would turn around and point at him while he pretended not to notice...then he'd notice and turn it back at me. And then it would turn back at him. And then he'd push it back at me. And this would go on until he'd get really angry at his hand and smack it. And then he'd make up with his hand (the hand would kiss his cheek) and he'd pat it and it would point at me. This game could gleefully occupy me for a good ten minutes when drawn out properly.

Don't Smile!

One that I use with sick kids to see how sick they really are is I fix them with a serious look and say: "Now, I want you to listen to me. This is very important, OK? You listening? Ok. I want to make sure I have your attention because this is so important. You must. Not. Smile. Whatever you do, you musn't smile, OK? No smiling. At all. Got it?"

Generally after about 30 seconds of this a kid is struggling to hold a straight face and then the giggles begin. Failing that, I might try a few funny faces. And if a kid doesn't smile, then I'm very concerned about how sick he is.

The Coin-In-Ear Trick

'nuff said biggrin

The Hair

This is a brilliant little pantomime taught me by a friend of the family who was a professor of physics at some university in Denmark.

You start by pretending to pull a *very* long hair out of your scalp (repeated tugs and hand-over-hand are usually necessary).

You then stuff the "hair" in your ear...and then pull it out the other ear, sliding it back and forth. Then you stuff it back in and pull one end out your nose. And you continue to play this game with any available facial orifice until bored.

What fun games did people play with you?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FacelessjokerBRONZE Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Wow wee the hair one is cool.

I was going to start a thread like this coz i needed some ideas for entertaining kids and making them smile while I take a pic. Wanting to do studio stuff as a career mean ill prolly do kids most.

My dad used to run after me round the house pretending to be a gorilla. When he caught me he`d turn me upside down or tickle me etc etc.
My grandad would poke his faulse teeth out of his mouth too, which at 5 is fantasic! biggrin

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
ok this is kinda sad but the kids i work with love it seen as i cant remeber what i played when i was little
Whats in the box
Ya bung a load of things in a box then ya have to sing the song((they moan if ya dont))
then ya describe whats in the box and they have to guess what it is
as a side note a yellow elephant confuses them no end.
But they played this for a good quater of an hour and requested it again after that.

Tell me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Involve me and I understand

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I used to pretend there was a fly on my nose, cross my eyes to look at it, smack myself in the face to get rid of it, but it flys away (the fly being my index and thumb together) and make the buzzing noise and all... do a couple rounds of the nose bit, and start getting upset, and the such. Seems to make a couple girls I baby sat giggle a bunch!

Little kids like a lot of funny mime things, I think.

Or try teaching them pig latin, so you can play and pretend its your secret language!

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
My old headmaster in primary school actually DID dress up in a gorilla suit and spent about half an hour hiding in the trees on the edge of the playground, growling occassionally.

Of course if he tried it now, he'd probably get sued...

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I just remember a song that we sung when I was a little tacka.

"Hi, my name is Joe, and I work in a button factory and I have house.....and one kid. One day my boss said to me he said 'Jooee?! Are you busy?'. I said 'No'. He said then press this button with your left hand' (poke the air)

"Hi, my name is Joe, and I work in a button factory and I have house.....and two kids. One day my boss said to me he said 'Jooee?! Are you busy?'. I said 'No'. He said then press this button with your right hand'

left foot, right foot, head, tongue.

....."Hi, my name is Joe, and I work in a button factory and I have house.....6 kids. One day my boss said to me he said 'Jooee?! Are you busy?'. I said 'YES!' and everyone falls down.

One day I'll sing the tune for you all.

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
We still do that one as part of warm ups sometimes. But then Edinburgh people are slightly mad!

I remember my mum telling us 'eat your broccoli, it'll put hairs on your chest'. Hated broccoli for years. The same thing also applied to spinach.

We also had 'if you keep playing with it, it'll fall off'. But I don't think that one really applied to me!

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
In a housefull of boys my littlest is still worried about my lack of willieness. Maybe it did fall off.

We play "who stole the cookie from the cookie jar"
Starts with someone singing "who stole the cookie from the cookie jar"
"was it you"..points to someone
"who me couldnt be" starts again,
We play it in the car and parts of the car play as well. wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
My mum told me to go play on the M3 with all the cars *worried smile*
Maybe due to the stress i often caused

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
We used to play a game called red rover but the school banned it for the amount of injuries we got.
You have two teams. Each team holds hands as tight as they can and then calls red rover red rover send ((insert name from opposite team)) straight over. That person then runs as fast and hard as they can at a set of hands and tries to break trough them. If they dont manage there caught and join that team and if they do manage ((and arent injured)) they go back to their team

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
yay roarfire smile that song is the best biggrin always funny when youve been drinking. as for red rover i still think british bulldogs better - then again thats been banned too :'(

one of the best games i play with kids is catapulting them around the bouncy castle

smile it (AKA tag) is always a favorite - and snake each person holds onto the person in front like a conga line then you run as fast as you can and see how many people fall over (that one got banned too)

back

SDLWSILVER Member
326 posts

Posted:
another favourites mob mob
but it gets called so many things
somebody is on it and they count on a post and everybody goes off to hide that person when they reach a certain number goes to look for them if they spot them they run back to the post and go mob mob ((name)) and that person runs and tries to get to the post as well. Also if the person away from the post ya can creep from were ya hididng and run to the pole ya then go 1,2,3 release myself or 1,2,3 release everybody if theres somebody caught