Forums > Social Chat > "Severe Burns".....something that maybe you should know

Login/Join to Participate

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I thought this was useful advice for everyone who spins fire, so as most folks come here I thought I'd post it here but I'll go post it in other forums too.

A friend of ours recently burnt himself by going to bed with a candle on and rolling his duvet onto it. He burnt his hands quite badly and required hostpital treatment. When he arrived at the Accident & Emergency (ER) department they needed to transfer him to the burns unit to get proper treatment so they got two plastic bags, filled them with PARAFFIN, tied them around his hands and transfered him. Aparently it's brilliant for keeping the wounds moist, it protects them from any negative environmental influence which all contributes to aiding the the healing process.

So should you accidentally get a really bad burn while spinning, try to soak it in your paraffin until you get to the hospital. If hospitals use it, I'd say it must be pretty safe and tried & tested, although I'm not sure what is/if theres a maximum time limit is to have them soaked for.

Perhaps an airtight plastic bag/binliner or two should be part of everyones fire kit?

Safe spinning guys weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm. I think the hospitals would use really clean, refined stuff though... rather than the dirty, not-very-refined stuff we dunk our wicks in biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I agree with FP, as they would have the purest available, while we use the dyed stuff, plus extra toxins etc.

Like using wine to clean a wound, rather than surgical spirit...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
agreed, but compared to no protection at all, open wounds/burst blisters drying and scarring on a two hour drive cross sountry to the nearest hospital? I know which I'd probably choose.

Besides, how 'dirty' is paraffin anyway?

Any medics (Mike? biggrin) out there who've had experience or knowledge of this?

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i think the best way to do it is after its been under water wrap it in cling film

this helps keep it moist - and is what ive been taught to do as a first aider :P

back

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
possibly even keeping a bandage/clean towel/something in a jar filled with really refined kero/paraffin, possibly even of the medical grade?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmm... this doesn't sound like a "Chat" topic at all.

I'd hate to see a topic this important be drowned out by daftness.

Am I using that word correctly?

smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

So should you accidentally get a really bad burn while spinning, try to soak it in your paraffin until you get to the hospital. If hospitals use it, I'd say it must be pretty safe and tried & tested, although I'm not sure what is/if theres a maximum time limit is to have them soaked for.

Rule #1. Do not ever believe any medical advice you get on an internet discussion board. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Absolutely. Always check out what you've heard for yourselves independantly so you can be sure it's true smile

I've changed the thread title now to suit too