mrlogicnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
devil: I never have come to this sight before but i have been doing fire poiand glow stick poi off and on for the last 4 yrs.I just found out how to do the one handed butterfly and I am willing to share with anyone who needs some help

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
Natty innit. I just started and it's been the second trick I learnt. Are you doing it by moving your hands up and down while doing regular butterfly before passing one to the other?

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
Hi mrlogic!

yesterday I just started to try out the one handed butterfly and I even got so far that I sometimes managed to swop from a two handed one to the passing over into one hand and then sometimes even several rotations before I wanted to pass it back into two hands but latest then my poi fell or flew away in weird directions.

and how do I get the poi to continue to rotate when I hold them in one hand? I mean I even managed to do so, but actually to me it seemed more like happening by chance than on purpose!???

still getting better but advice is always welcome!!! biggrin

hug

tina

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
the best way to keep them spinning is just to move your hand vertically in same beat as the poi. if you move it sideways youäll get a split-time butterfly.

good luck

ps. anybody knows a nice way to get into onehand butterfly starting with both poi in same hand?

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

SebPenguin of Mass Destruction and Tricky Bugger to the court of Claire the Askew
643 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure it's possible without putting one into your other hgand in between, though I do aknow a girl who does a neat trick with the poi heads seperate swinging them around herself with the one hand.

Chucks nuns
Property of mynci and blu_valley, and proud of it.

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
Thx DiscO wink

ok, yesterday I actually managed to do the butterfly avec one hand quite properly. I just have to work more on the part when I pass it back into two hands.

But now......

......I think I got it! bounce bounce

@DiscO: dont you think it should work the same way as when you want to keep it spinning: move your hands vertically up and down until youv got enough "speed" - keep distance between the poi in your hands and move... biggrin

hug

tina ubbangel

- Ho Sa -

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
biggrin

I got the one hand butterfly sorted ages ago.... pass back into both hands as well.

Now im wondering if there is a way of moving the butterfly behind your head and infront again...

Any ideas? when i try, the poi's planes always mess up, and i hit myself in the ass (this may just be cos its too big wink ), or the small of my back confused
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1116698816)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
practice wink
it does work. At the moment im working on taking it behind the opposite shoulder.

PoiElfBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
Ditto. I'm just getting the hang of taking the poi behing my head when doing 1 handed bf. It works somethimes, but best when I shut my eyes (lol).

"Mmm... I'm sure I had a tail this moring, now I've got legs!"

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
I like doing one handed poi stuff... I can do the 1 handed bf behind my back and im aslo learning a 1 handed 2bt weave.

You dont really see too much 1handed stuff much nowadays so it's a pretty good skill type to try

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
Hey Epsilon Kias!

One handed 2bt weave I tried out as well, sometimes it works sometimes less and I just hit my ass or head, but in the end it worked - similar to meteors!

which other one handed figures do you like??

tina

- Ho Sa -

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Oh, I would like to add few more:

BF > BTB BF

One handed BF in the front. Than when Poi Heads are going down, jum
over to get BF behind the back. :] :R

BF > WEAVE

One handed BF and than wrap one Poi somewhere (hand, leg) into
Weave,

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

PsyriSILVER Member
artisan
1,576 posts

Posted:
one handed btf was a piece of peepee for me lol... remember those clackers you'd get when u were a kid? Well its kinda like that, keep the up n down motion...

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
"ps. anybody knows a nice way to get into onehand butterfly starting with both poi in same hand?"

Yeah, kind of difficult to describe though, currently working on getting two lots of one handed butterfly(s) going starting with two sets of stationary poi in both hands, it's getting there, I can generally do all of the above listed moves etc

mark

minimaniacThe Ladiees Man
360 posts

Posted:
i can do it,just not sure how to explain it!

i have one poi on my little finger and the other on the index. using a back hand serve movement i flick the poi furthest away anti clock-wise if using my right hand, but you need to just flick that one poi.
once the first poi is travelling to parallel to the ground you need to flick your wrist down and clock-wise to get the other poi moving in the clock-wise direction.

i will try and get a small video for you if you like?

I'm going to leave the army and run away to the circus

if not i will just become a MI5 agent !!!

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Yeah, thanks, thats the one 'minimaniac',

mark

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i think i've seen it in the SFS christmas-vid, but it's too dark to see the details. so: i'd LOVE to have a clip on it biggrin

it's you friend!

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
yeah, someone does it about three quarters of the way through the battlesbridge video (sfs). bit showy for my liking though, he needs to learn to flow a bit.

i think what he does is this (described for the right hand):

one poi on little finger, one on index with palm facing upwards and fingers pointing to the left. now swing the poi on your index finger 180 degrees anti-clockwise. when doing this don't make little pendulum movements first just go straight into it, and try and ignore the movement of the other poi as much as possible. hopefully the movement of your hand to flick the index finger poi around, will spin up the other poi 90 degrees anticlockwise.

now your hand is facing downwards and the poi are making a straight line parallel to the ground. at this point flick your wrist up while turning your hand palm upwards (to push the poi apart) and the poi will start spinning in opposite directions.

to stop the poi hitting each other and keep them going you need to move your hand up and down slightly while turning it. practice the movement first without the poi: hand facing downwards, then move it up slightly and turn it upwards, then move it down and face it downwards. repeat until bored. then try it with the poi.

don't do it too quickly. don't stretch your arm right out, instead try and keep it in a relaxed position with your elbow at your side. don't move your wrist in circles but keep it moving vertically. do smooth movements with your wrist and keep it relaxed.

there are other ways of starting and maintaining it but i reckon the above is the easiest and most effective.

some tricks are detailed in other posts such as [Old link].

a tutorial video will one day magically appear on sfs showing the start and some tricks, but probably not before the end of the summer.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Id like to add somethin I was thinking yesterday:

BF PARADOX:

Ok, you have directions , like forward or backward BF right,
but when its onehaned, there is no direction. You can get from
one handed BF into forward or bacward one just to choose
which Poi to take from the hand.

And dirrection of one handed BF is?

POI THEO(R)IST

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
i've thought about that too.... if you do a forward BF and cross your hands, you've got backwards...

but if you hold one hand above the other, instead of at the sides of eachother.... which direction is it going in? (same problem as above)

it's you friend!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Oppossite direction could be, but which one there are two.

POI THEO(R)IST

Satsamember
45 posts

Posted:
Why is it when i do one handed butterfly i end up facing the opposite direction?
some kind of strange spinny round on spot thing happens and i just can't stop!
please someone help

( sobs quietly in corner whilst rocking back and forth gently)

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Marco > I know two ways to start one handed

a) Stop Poi verticaly then slowly ttart Oppossite Pendulums into One Handed.

b) Poi lay on the ground like meteors in line. Then you catch handles and pick OH BF up smile

POI THEO(R)IST

mrlogicnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hey you figure out how to do it behind your head then back again tell me please.I have been trying to find a way to do the figure 8 put them in one hand on your upper and lower fingers then pull it aprt behind my back ive done it 3 or 4 time with out hitting my self it looks awsome with glowsticks but i want fire ubbrollsmile