AvikusGOLD Member
9 posts

Posted:
Hi! I'm very new to poi and I want to really beginning training at this... so I was looking at the thing for sell of this syte ... should I buy myself the dvd that teach you the basic and those 2 string that comes with it?

Thanks!
Avi

Spacecow00xSILVER Member
170 posts

Posted:
i think its easier to make your own and then learn by using the how to tips on this site and various other sites

You've got the wings of a fallen angel
You offer peace if they praise your name
You live your life taking everything you can get
Look down, time to fly!

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
i have found that videos are more irritating than they are helpfull! and i'm not alone in this opinion!

there is certainly a purpose to them, but personally i prefer to DIY!

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
oooooh Shu.. thats not a nice thing to say.

There are some stunning videos out there. If not for learning how to spin, then for shear entertainment values. Check out te Pookas videos.

and Falmouth.

and anything by anyone with a large amount of posts. Excpet Cantus. Cos he doesnt do videos tongue

There are some *really* good videos out there. Just go look for them. smile

FlamingOberonGOLD Member
ohm mani padme hum
134 posts

Posted:
but the really good values are made for entertainment purposes, not for educational purposes. i think the vids that shu is referring to ar irritating are teh "how to" videos that cost exorbitant amounts of money but dontt each you anything all that exciting...

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
fair enough.

I agree, there are not enough good educational videos.

Just like there arent enough good free choclate cream eclairs.

smile

Yum.

GherkinGOLD Member
Inventor
117 posts

Posted:
You can pick up some of the basics from the Poi Lessons section of HomeOfPoi.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/1

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Sorry for the OTness but I gotta say it. I cant explain how much videos have impacted my skills. If it weren't for poi vids, I probably wouldnt be here right now. Some people are visual learners and some arent... For those of us who are, vids are the best teachers!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*wiggleshislilbum*

I was correct!

Yipee!

wink

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:
Written by: FlamingOberon

but the really good values are made for entertainment purposes, not for educational purposes. i think the vids that shu is referring to ar irritating are teh "how to" videos that cost exorbitant amounts of money but dontt each you anything all that exciting...

yip...
u nailed it there...
we got hold of a couple once...

we spent the rest of that month in hysterics over things like...
"did u get that? did u get that? okay we'll do it again, and again, and again? Goooood!"

soooo freaking anoying, it was more like a bad infomercial than educational!

i have many many vids for entertainment purposes, but for learning... i have not found anything that is of any real value to the newb.

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

Black GnosisBRONZE Member
27 posts

Posted:
my parents baught me that very set from this site, i was the COL 2 video and was inspired to try being more adventurous with the moves i knew, but the instructional stuff were things i already knew...give it a shot if you think its best, but trust me on this, buy yourself a new set of handles, the double loop nylon ones are a tad annoying to use [handles are on top of shopping list]

but if your one of those "monkey see monkey do" types then go for it, the lass in the video is very instructional and sines its a dvd and you wanna work on something just hit the repeat function or hit back when its on the next lesson...I learned my stuff myself but even i admit that it wouldnt hurt to learn from another regaurdless of how, the best way in my opinoin is to learn from another, cause then hey can focus on ya....oh and one last thing....if your planning on spinning inside, find a space thats larg enough for you to spin arms wide out....or beter yet just go outside, am i the only one who spins EVERYWHERE? hehehe[does it to bugger security now] ^^

Vidi, veni, visa....I came, I saw, I did a little shopping....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"the double loop nylon ones are a tad annoying to use"

Why?

confused