Forums > Help! > i'm really lame at posting videos on computers.

Login/Join to Participate

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
hi.

i dont know what to do..

like.. i know that i dont have enough credit on HoP to post a video.. but.. i wonder.. is that the same thing as the whole "right click save as" scenario down in the video thread?

or is that something different?

um?

also:

it was an impromptu digital camera thing that lasted about 2.45. dont have any editing applications. but its 30 meg. for 2.45? that cant be right, surely.. whats up, i sure dont know..!

confused confused confused

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
sound about right

if you dont have enough hop space you'll need to get some web space to host it for you.

spymac (if you do a search there is fairly good instructions for getting it going) and other free hosts can do it.

you can then upload it using an ftp client like cuteftp, smart ftp, filezilla etc

Love is the law.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:

i'll try.
thanks for the word on the street, ado-p..
hug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
compress the video first. Download/install a codec pack and use a program like "bink and smacker" by rad video tools to change it to a better codec. You can find both, and instructions about their use on google

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
I'm one step lamer than you, shen. I don't even know whether I can post anything, much less how.

According to my gallery info, my credit is "1500.0kb file size limit" I tried to upload a pic, but it said it was in the wrong format. Can anyone tell me if this is enough file size for a picture, and if so, what format I need to put it in? I use photobucket to post pics to my blog - will that work here too?

Thanks muchly!!

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Generally, you want your photo in either .jpeg (.jpg) or .gif. .bmp works, but has little compression, so the photos are really large in file size for not much photo. 1500Kb, which is close enough to 1.5 meg, is plenty for photos. I have 1600x1200 (which is about the size of a 19" monitor running at top resolution) pics that are 500Kb, and 1280x968 (which is a little smaller than a 17" at high res) that are about 300k. both of those file sizes are unedited, so with cropping, resizing and changing compression, i've had it down to about 80k. I find a good size to have things at is about 800x600, which is big enough for detail, but not so big that they end up huge file sized. Thats just my personal feeling, tho. your mileage may differ.

Other than that, there's not really a great deal i can tell. If you can get your hands on a good photo editor (adobe photoshop, jasc paint shop pro), you can resize, adjust compression, stuff like that, to make the picture size bigger while keeping the file size small.

If not, ms paint (i think) can save stuff as a jpeg. not certain of that tho. and you can't change much.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

munkypunksGOLD Member
enthusiast, but not enthusiastic
367 posts

Posted:
Thanks, MiG! I have some sort of photoshop program that a friend gave me. I've always thought it would be cool; now I have a reason to learn to use it!

You can't fall off the floor, but sometimes you need a chair to reach the cookie jar.