Forums > Social Discussion > Please Help Me With My Research...

Login/Join to Participate

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

I am currently researching the role of Environmental Education within schools and could do with your help. Therefore, if you could take the time to answer these questions for me then you’d be doing me a huge favour. To answer it would help even further if you copy and paste the following into a word document, answer the questions and then cut and paste into a reply. Its school experience I want to know about - so if you’re currently at school or you have some recollection of what you did at school then that's what I want to here about.

Thanking all you kind lovely people in advance

hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

Stoo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In which subjects have you come across environmental issues?

How and in which topic were environmental issues raised in these subjects?

In which subjects have you come across issues concerning sustainable development?

How and in which topic were issues concerning sustainable development raised in these subjects?

Any other comments?

>What do you think about the state of the Earth?
>I'm optimistic.
>So why do you look so sad?
>I'm not sure that my optimism is justified.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:

In which subjects have you come across environmental issues? R.E, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Engineering, Geography….near enough every subject.

Science subjects:-the laws
Geography:-self explanatory
R.E:-complicated to explain

In which subjects have you come across issues concerning sustainable development? Geography, production, selling ploy

How and in which topic were issues concerning sustainable development raised in these subjects?
Others in paper manufacturing

Any other comments?

HavokistBRONZE Member

2,530 posts

Posted:

In which subjects have you come across environmental issues? Geography, History slightly, Art slightly, Chemstry slightly, Biology slightly

Sciences - problems that may be caused by pouring certain chemicals away down the sink
Art - problems that may be caused by pouring certain things like glazes and oxides down the sink
History - wasn't much to do with current enviromental problems, more to do with the problems of the past and what they caused
Geography - well, it's geography... (sorry for being vague)

In which subjects have you come across issues concerning sustainable development?
Geography
Possibly R.S./R.& P.

Geography - same as before
Religion and Phylosophy - problems with certain things being effected by morality

Any other comments?

We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, On whom the pale moon gleams;
We are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:

Pretty much everything seems to have environmental implications to some degree or other, but specifically, I work with Chemicals.

With regards to my job, there are many issues and legislation to do with how we store chemicals, how things are handled, fume control and disposal of waste.

fuels, world development.

fuels - the limited resources that we have on the planet are being used at an ever increasing rate. Oil, for example, being used as a fuel for producyion of electricity, running vehicles, and production of plastics etc.
World development - as the world continues to develop, the resources that are available are being stretched further than ever before, China, for example is quickly becoming an industrial giant, and is consuming vast resources.

I hope this is helpful. smile

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hi Gelfling! What is "sustainable development"? I suppose I may have heard about it in school in Germany, but I don't know what it means!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:

Chemistry - the chemical processes which affect our enviroment
Geography - the long term effect on the enviroment (e.g. global warming)
Biology - The decline of species

I think that I said that already...?

CDT

Renewable energy sources, enviromentally friendly / efficient building practises (e.g. wood houses, proper insulation)

Any other comments?
Thinking back its hard to think of a single subject in which we didn't touch on enviromental concerns.
English - write an essay on...
History - climate changes...
Biology - effect on plant life...
Sports - effects on the human body (I did lots of sports and as a GCSE)
About the only subject we didn't do it in was maths!

What are you aiming to do with your research.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Gelfling,

I’m with Bridgit.

It would be nice if you could define “sustainability”.

Thanks

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Stone and Birgit = just state that you've not come across that expression before - familiarity of terms is one of things I am interested in - thanks biggrin

>I'm optimistic.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Gelfling, apologies if you thought I hadn’t come across sustainability before, quite the conrtary, it’s a much debated issue. I was interested in how you defined sustainability. Seems a fair question.

smile
EDITED_BY: Stone (1113558978)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
If I tell you then I'd be biasing my results wink - I'm interested in where you've come across the term within school – I’ll happily tell you my views once I finish assignment – deal?

>I'm optimistic.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Gelfling,

I didn’t learn about sustainability till way after high school, so I’m out of your research. I’m not sure I see how defining the terms you use would bias your results. But I don’t mind waiting for you to finish, and we can talk about sustainability later. good luck.

cheers smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:

Edinburgh, school was in Germany (Stuttgart area)

biology
chemistry
German
English
French
geography
maths/physics

there was also a club about the environment and protecting it for 10-13-year-olds after school which was quite popular

biology:
water quality
species becoming extinct
biological niches and how they disappear
eutrophy of water

chemistry
eutrophy of water (again...)
radiation
what certain chemicals do to the environment
dioxins, PCBs etc
water shortages
cars and catalysers
sewage-treatment plants
hydrogen-powered cars
car exhausts, what they contain and maximum allowed values
pros and cons of fertilisers
recycling
ozone layer

German
poetry and books with criticism about nuclear power plants

English
don't remember, but we did learn all the vocabulary so it must've been there...

French
woodfires

geography
rain forests
solar power
bio-gas
deforestation (in general)
ovverfishing

maths/physics
radioactive isotopes and half-times with applications on how long it takes radioactive waste to get harmless

history
nuclear bombs

I am not sure about the meaning of it, but probably in a few...

see above...

Any other comments?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chemistry, Biology, R.S, Geography

R.S - Class Discussion about ethics of enviromentalism
Chem, Bio, Geog - Part of the Syllabus

shrug Dunno

shrug Dunno

Any other comments?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

darkpoetBRONZE Member
Irish
525 posts

Posted:

Texas

Biology, however None have a good focus...just acceptance that there is a problem...nothing more

Brief glance at how pollutants effect things like the water tables etc..

None

Any other comments?

Jesus saves sinners and redeems them for cash and
prizes

Co-Founder of Keepers of Light

Educate yourself about the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:

In which subjects have you come across environmental issues? Chem, biology to a certain degree, and geography

Chemistry - the formation of toxic and substances and their disposal, the incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons, and the formation of NOxs and their effect on the environment, global warming and the ozone layer.
Biology - biodegradeable substances (only briefly), food chains and the build up of substances such as DDT which damage secondary+ consumers, eutrophy of water, different types of fertilisers and their positive and negative effects on the environment
Geography - (its been a long time since I’ve done any) polar ice caps melting

Don’t know what that means! sorry

teehee and again….no idea sorry!

Any other comments?
Biiiiiig love
hug

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:

In which subjects have you come across environmental issues? geography (GCSE), Biology (GCSE), Physics (GCSE)

How and in which topic were environmental issues raised in these subjects? Geo : part of my exams was a descions making excercise on waste management, other sections of human geo. biology - pollution and how its spreads. PHysics - renewable energy

In which subjects have you come across issues concerning sustainable development? geography - overseas aid renweable energy

How and in which topic were issues concerning sustainable development raised in these subjects? part of human geo

Any other comments?

back

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Afraid I can't remember much from my school days, been wiped out by subsequent events, but would you be interested in a teachers viewpoint?

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Have a whole different questionaire for teachers smile - but gotta go teach myself now. Cheers.

>I'm optimistic.

ShuBRONZE Member
Retro Fyre Wizzard
538 posts

Posted:

Geography
Economics
Biology

Geography
through disscussion on population & urbanisation

Economics
discussion of environmental laws and regulations which effect business practice

Biology
erm...
in general...
most discussions had some bearing on environmental issues

never discussed, but if i pursued geography further and i'm sure university economics sustainable developement would certainly be a hot topic

not discussed

Comments
erm...
i worked for an environmental education centre for some time, and there was often discussion of incorporating sustainible developement issues into the programmes, but nothing happened with it while i was there. However there are many recourses on sustaible developement on the net. you should google search the subject, also if you check out the south african government (or africa in general) websites, there is alot there on sustainible developement issues.
try THIS

Regards hug

Shu
(Ice-E FyreStorm - Group Manager & Performer)

You know those people your parentals warned you about?... I'M ONE OF THEM! ubbloco
Yes, i do bite!!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:

In which subjects have you come across environmental issues? Geography, Religious Education, Sociology. An open university short course on climate change

The effects of industry + urbanisation etc.. on the environment. Climate change/global warming and how it has affected, and will affect the planet i.e. melting polar icecaps, changes in weather patterns etc . The ozone layer problem.

Geography

Any other comments?
Sorry, I can’t remember much. I hope this helps

eSC.dA3m0nnewbie
13 posts

Posted:

In which subjects have you come across environmental issues? Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Engineering, Geography….

Science subjects:-the laws

In which subjects have you come across issues concerning sustainable development? Geography

~^^Everyone has the right to be stupid, but your abusing the privaledge^^~

GelflingBRONZE Member
Watcher of 80s cartoons
665 posts

Posted:
Well I finished the assignment. Thanks for all your help hug

The findings were interesting. Using the results from these questions and other sources it was found that there is no significant difference between male and females regarding how they were taught about environmental issues.

There is a significant difference between under 18s when compared to over 18s i.e. over 18s were taught about environmental issues using a more pro-active method of teaching compared to student currently in education, the upshot is that over 18s can remember more of their school experience of environmental education when compared to those still in education.

There is no significant difference between the effectiveness of environmental education in the UK when compared to the rest of the world. However, this data is skewed by the results from the US. By analysing country by country the US has the least effective method of teaching about the environment the UK and various other countries are in the middle and Germany, Canada, Sweden and others employ the most effective methods of teaching about the environment. These trends echo other educational trends, such as effectiveness of science teaching worldwide and they also echo the environmental policies of the countries within this study.

>I'm optimistic.