sweetybabesnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
wavehello

Hello just wanted to introduce myself. u will have to forgive me this is all very new to me, as poi is too. but i am very keen to learn. i'm at uni in swansea but live in oxford in the hols. Would really like a little help getting started. not sure i have the right poi or where to look to learn redface i have tried to follow the lessons on this website but i havent really been getting anywhere. so any advice would be a great help

Thanks

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
hay hay! another oxford lady! yay! well up for meeting up for a spin, might be able to teach you some stuff too...iv taught myself pretty much all i know, so dont know how good my teaching skills will be but i'll give it a go smile theres an oxford meet organised in south parks which you can check out here if you want so yeah,you should come along if you're around. Tell us more about u anyway smile Stroo x

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hiya and welcome sweetybabes. When I was starting out, I found the lessons really useful- however, it's helpful to be learning from someone else because you can get feedback on how you're going.

Try to hook up with your local spinners (you can tail stroo! wink) soon, but in the meantime, hi and welcome wave

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
y0! congratulations, because i anti-hate you!! heart heart heart

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

sweetybabesnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
frown
i'm not going to be able to meet the group on the 17th April, i have to go back to uni on the 16th frown but i will keep my eyes open about other dates. and will try my best to make it for the next one. Thanks for the help!!!

biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
welcome to hop

I live near Swansea. Mostly I go to Cardiff for meets because spinners seem a bit thin on the ground in Swansea. Maybe we can convert a few more huh?

There is a circus school in Swansea called Circus Eruption they always need volunteers to help out. Its an actively all inclusive program for children aged 11-19 to learn circus skills. The organizers are really friendly and will tell you that they learn as much as the children do. You don't need to have any circus skills yourself just be willing to give support and encourment to the group as a whole.

For the next month I'm a bit tied up with stuff but as soon as I have some spare time I'll send you a PM and maybe we can arrange to meet up. I'm not the best spinner in the world but I'll teach you anything I know.

Skully ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

DinkBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
hello sweetiebabes smile

im new too, to both hehe

im a gemini..go figure

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Hello and welcome to HoP!!

wave weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
heya smile welcome to HoP
*waves frantically*

back

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
aww that sucks sweetybabes, maybe next time:)

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

sweetybabesnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
yeah i would stay but i have some course work that i have to hand in first thing monday morning frown but will try and make the next one smile hopefully by then i might have gotten a bit better by then weavesmiley

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Hey sweetybabes , welcome to HoP I am also in wales but in Cardiff . . . only person I know who spins from swansea is skully, but there are a few of us in cardiff if you are ever over this direction . .

I started trying to leard those free lessons , took me forever to get the butterfly and even longer to get the weave . . . but since have managed to teach my friends the basic moves quite quickly. If you ever get the chance to meet up with some spinners you will learn so many cool tricks and have such a laugh...

Welcome to HoP and yeah for another Cymru based spinner....

sweetybabesnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
well thats the funny thing to my friends amazement i managed to pick up the butterfly and the weave within an hour of picking up the poi! i was just playing around, then something clicked and i asked a freind what move was i doing, he wasnt impressed that i had managed to do the weave when he had been trying to for months. i'm having problems with the atlernative butterfly and the mexicain wave. i think that my poi are to short, so think i should invest in some new ones. i have my own car so getting to cardiff isnt to much of a problem, i'll keep m eyes open for any meetings and mayb tag along

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Sound like a natural, you'll pick up those tricks soon enough, sounds like a timing issue rather than the poi being too short though longer poi would give you more time . . .

Was contemplating putting some advice on here for those tricks then read what I had written and it didn't make any sense .... best to see if you can make it to Non's leaving do . . . and I am sure there will be more than enough people willing to help you out

[Old link]

Also if you want to make new poi a long pair of socks and some red lentils are definitely the way forward . . . cheap too.... ubbrollsmile

dizzybintmember
26 posts

Posted:
I go to circus eruption, skully do you attend also? Hi newbie pm me if you need any more details

Luv Dizzybint

hi

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I was going to go but I'm having problems getting there so I couldn't volunteer. Its no good offering to be a helper if you can't get there every week ubblol

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

dizzybintmember
26 posts

Posted:
its great, i dont go every week

i just need to get to grips with the juggling clubs they are driving me mad!!!!!!!!!!!!

the uni have a circus night on fridays
EDITED_BY: dizzybint (1131055805)

hi