Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
In the interest of furthering diplomacy, I thought it'd be fun to look at some of the moves our Poi brothers and sisters have been inovating and seeing how, or even IF they could be incorporated into glowstick moves.

It'd also be interesting to see what moves have difficulty transferring the other way. I remember giggling like a spaz at my London folks trying to see who had the best sock or fire isolations. They were ALL pretty good.

Then again, it's nice to see moves like "Comb-overs" making such a smooth transition to glowsticks pioneered by our own diplomat TheBovrilMonkey.

NYC has been talking a bunch of crap about 'gumbys' without actually putting the time and energy into actually getting it done.

I think that it would be important to document what we've done on film as there seems to be some debate as to the authenticty of claims.

Poicopaths, can you give us some things to try that are specifically Poi?

And Glowstick kids, can you do them?

[Disclaimer: We're talking about a SPECIFIC move or skill that would be common to the Poi vocabulary. NOT can you do my 15 minute routine while I'm reciting pi to the 100th digit.]

I call isolated airwrap gumbys. I'll work on them tomorrow if it's sunny with my cone poi. I know I'll have to buy nothing but I'm on the case. And if you don't know what gumbys are, Durbs a do.

wink

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Challenge 1:

a long arm/full arm extension, split time windmill.

turn it if you like fellas?

Jo. smile

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
ubblol you know... UCOF.. its hard to tell sometimes when you are being serious..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think you killed it.

I was being serious.

frown

and silly at the same time...

smile

Genuine answers please.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
my 'challenge' was serious.

?

ubblol

Jo. wink

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I know.

I was thinking that no one would want to post after Rev, as I couldnt work out if he was for or against this, and they probably didnt want to make themseslves look silly if they chose the wrong one.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
I'm always up for looking silly, what's wrong with 'choo?

biggrin mymy, it's 6 am, how does time fly.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'll post this here, since I don't really know any glowstick moves or at least I didn't until yesterday.

Ok, following recent discussions on this site, I made myself a set of glowstring substitutes and tossed them in the toy box I take to work. They fit right in beside the staffs, juggling balls, bong, and footbags and I spun them like poi. I found I could do most everything I could do with poi,,, with glowsticks, but,,,,,I don't want to.

They're way to light, I like the weight of poi.

On the other hand, I found myself working on wrap combinations, something I've left woefully underexplored with poi for the same reason,,I don't want to. Yep, the tools lend themselves to the techniques. I never would have spent a whole day practicing wraps with poi, I would have called quits when the first bruises started to appear but with the glowsticks, hey, no pain, well, except for the 500 times I cracked myself in the knuckles, but that'll stop with practice,,,I hope.

I've replaced my newly downloaded inspirational poi video with a couple of Kael's which I'll watch a few times a day and I plan on studying this style exclusively for the next couple of weeks. I'm expecting it will do some good things for my poi technique.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I found 4bTTN actually a bit harder with glowsticks. You need to move your hands more. I got it a while ago but I remember that what I was doing for poi wasn't enough to get the glowsticks not to tangle.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm having trouble with anything longarm. My antispin flowers are total crap and for some strange reason I have trouble figuring out what direction I'm spinning in.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Agreed. It took me nearly a weeks time from learning flowers and antispin on my poi to getting it decent with glowsticks.

When the weight is that light as a glowstick, you can't try to feel the poi anymore but have to think/imagine where it is, and trust in yourself.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

When the weight is that light as a glowstick, you can't try to feel the poi anymore but have to think/imagine where it is, and trust in yourself.

Thanks Obie Won. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
No problem my young pad-a-wan wink

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
i'd love to see a 5 or 6 beat butterfly (ttn) done with glosticks, you would have to move your arms increadibly quick. I've not seen clean stalls done with glosticks cos of their light weight, you get a slight wing at the end whereas a sock can be stopped dead.

One thing that doen't work well with socks is Tracers, cos the material sticks to your arm whilst a string slides past, or cuts in wink

but i still see no difference between glostringing and poi so i don't quite get the question, i don't think there are any limitations with any weight poi. Except terminal velocity i guess. Just depends how long you want to spend practicing with 1 toy when it's easier to make a new set of poi for some other purpose. Like if i wanna practice loads of wraps i stick something light on a bit of string. If i wanna wibble then i get my socks out, if i wanna set something on fire i get my rope wicks out.

I would however love to make a set that cater for all my needs, but I've never managed to.

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well, i know that exits from airwraps and orbitals can be forced with glowsticks whereas they tend to just cause knots with heavier poi if you don't know the exact state of your tangle before you try and exit.

mind games that utilise tension on strings to start movements are uncommon with heavier poi - e.g. a catch that starts moving upwards upon release.

anyone considered if contact poi is possible with a glowstick on a shoelace?

i reckon you'd have trouble doing propellers...

mind you, this is something that i can't do with any of my poi either as my 'handles' are not weighted at all (i don't even use handles - just shoelaces).

throws tend to end in disaster too smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
contact poi is very doable if you have handles... What we call having a glowstick on each end of the string so you're holding one like a handle.

I used to focus on it but now I'm taking a break.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ah, but is double ended glowstringing not a different beast to glowsticking in general?

surely having a stick on both ends makes big differences to what is possible with mindgames, freehand stuff would look very different and all of a sudden throws would be possible...?

there was a bit of a move towards using double ended glowstick poi here for a while (with colour changing throws and wraps being the flavour of the month).

i realise (like me) kael, that you do not wish to impose boundaries on what you play with and the techniques you learn to spin.

and this is exactly what i was getting at when we were all discussing glowstringing - if the tool is changable, then to people with an open attitude to spinning arts, is just another poi set-up?

i reckon my sock poi would be just as tricky to do contact or throw combos with.

i defy anyone to do even a beat of propeller with an aerotech in a net.

kael - what led glowsticks do you use?

did you buy them and if so, how hardy are they and how long do batteries last you?

cheers,

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

ah, but is double ended glowstringing not a different beast to glowsticking in general?

surely having a stick on both ends makes big differences to what is possible with mindgames, freehand stuff would look very different and all of a sudden throws would be possible...?

there was a bit of a move towards using double ended glowstick poi here for a while (with colour changing throws and wraps being the flavour of the month).

It's odd, but with the tossing and mindgames the handles feels more like freehand glowsticking than regular old glowstringing. Oh, and isolations look smashing wink

Yes, having 2 glowsticks in each hand feels kind of odd, but the American East Coast freehanders have been coming up with dancing ideas for 4 glowsticks. Tutting seems to work especially well. I'd like to incorporate more funk dance styles along with my poi but my dancing blows like... well yeah. ubblol

And yes, the colorswitching wraps/throws and contact moves are fun. I'll get back into it once I clean up my work with 2 glowsticks. wink

Enough to focus on as is.

:edit- the LED glowsticks I use are made for me by friends. They come in various designs, from photons (LED mini-flashlights) at the ends of glowsticks to LED curcuits with flip and button switches.
EDITED_BY: KaelGotRice (1113233996)

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: KaelGotRice

:edit- the LED glowsticks I use are made for me by friends. They come in various designs, from photons (LED mini-flashlights) at the ends of glowsticks to LED curcuits with flip and button switches.

damn.

where's jo with those bloody illuminati then - i need new toy dammit!

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah... just like fire poi, all the cool kids make their own LED toys.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
just like all the cool contact jugglers make their own acrylics...?

and all the cool dancers make their own hips.

no, hold on... confused

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AdrillfSILVER Member
112 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

The small mention of handles came up, here's a link.

missegyptology: I'm gonna be a terrorist when I grow up anyway

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Colioli

ah, but is double ended glowstringing not a different beast to glowsticking in general

Ah...but is poi with weighted handles not a different beast to poi in general? wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm also finding buzzsaw planes hard to control with my new uberlights. It's not so bad on the vertical plane, but when I turn it horizontal I get some very "interesting" results. Was it just a trick of the light,,or did I see curved planes? this sounds impossible to but maybe it had something to do with wobble factor in my spinning.

One thing I did find was spinning the buzzsaw in two planes. one horizontal one vertical. I did this unintentionally ( sloppiness, distraction,,excuses, excuses ) but I sure had fun with it. When viewed in a mirror it didn't look all that impressive, just a cross, but when viewed from MY perspective,,,woooooooo,,,,spacey.

I found I could do this with full length strings, just above and in front of, my forehead..does this pattern have a name??

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Written by: spherculist

I've not seen clean stalls done with glosticks cos of their light weight, you get a slight wing at the end whereas a sock can be stopped dead.

I'll try to film that tonight with my stix.

We are defined by the choices we make

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
i expect this is classed as something else but using two sock poi tied together opens up loads of things using them as a single poi combined at the knot is fun as is trying to use them as s staff type thing contact throws and general throws and wraps are much more interesting as well :P

back

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
matt-

the 5bt ttn is no biggie.. and I think toxic has a clip somewhere of him doing the 6bt ttn.. personally, that's not one I ever got into much..

stalls are really easy... if you can control your sticks.. most people spin glowsticks fast.. whihc fine, whatever floats your boat.. but then you end up with too much momentum to fully execute proper timing on some of these things.. regardless, the upward stall is a pain.. but I find that to be true of any of the poi types.. gravity being a bigger censored than me...

UCOF- sorry I iddnt mean to kill your thread... apparently it got resurrected so things aren't that bad..

general- I have to say the hardest things that I've learned with glowsticks are the antispin moves.. and anything else that uses a variable isolation (moves where you are constantly changing the degre of isolation throughout the move)..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunceepoos

ah, but is double ended glowstringing not a different beast to glowsticking in general

Ah...but is poi with weighted handles not a different beast to poi in general? wink

indeed it is smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

Written by: Dunceepoos

indeed it is smile

stout - search for 'atom' or 'atomic' and you should get some of what you're looking for.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
cheeky link

https://www.glowsticking.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5332&st=0

New movements and ideas from the NorCal kids at gs.c.

wink

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
So those are atoms, thanks smile the mysteries of another thread I didn't understand cleared up.

Page: