Forums > Social Discussion > Is Testing on Animals Acceptible?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
I am interested in everyones opinion as to whether they agree or

disagree with testing new drugs or products on animals before

they are released on to the market.If you do not agree how else

would you make sure they were safe and if you do agree please

tell me why...thanks

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
eeeeeeeek!!! hug for Tom, hope your instant Karma aka kidney stone is going to get much better soon!!!

Thanks Matt and Jeff redface

Dave, I understand your point now, though I disagree smile I don't really think the testing date matters that much, and if you do go for animal-tested substances to help you because you must, you might as well go for the one that helps you most.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
Hey TOm, my mum can sympathise a bit, she's now got to go in for gall stones frown

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

SugarCoatedHellmember
33 posts

Posted:
 Written by: spiralx

Written by: FireTom

Why do we have to find a cure for deseases anyways? If a body is "weak", falls ill - why not let it die and natures selective force kick in?

Morality? Decency? A wish not to lose loved ones to the vagaries of nature? You might as well say why wear clothes? rolleyes

I understand the want to keep loved ones alive, but through all these arguments, I still cant see the justification for the horrible things we do to other creatures to make it so. Nature is where we come from, and where we will return. it seems silly {to me} to fight so strongly against it. morality and decency? that is the last argument I thought Id here for animal testing. and why wear clothes? it started to keep us warm, now its to cover our bodies. not really practical as it use to be.
It seems to be a pretty common belif in this argument that a human life is worth more than many little critters. Though we are animals all the same. who are we to judge?

There are no witholding taxes on the wages of sin.
~ It ain't a sin to crack a few laws, just don't break them. ~
~ I lost my reputation young, and never missed it. ~
~ She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success, wrong by wrong. ~

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
I don't think anyone using a computer has any right to criticise something for not being natural.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Clothes are still necessary for a number of reasons (other than just looks) as humans have EVOLVED and lost their fur, therefore protection against numerous influences. I can't take this one serious.

"Keeping" loved ones is no argument in this entire discussion. If you're talking about "LOVE" as I understand it, you do not need to "keep" anyone. If your love depends on them being around, then you should questino into the nature of your emotion.

I find it completely selfish not to let someone die who's time has come JUST because WE can't let go.

Working in a retirement home I had quite a number of "inmates" who really wanted to die, but society wouldn't let them.

As to contribute to the entire discussion and title of the thread:

The only reason why I can somewhat cope with the mere fact of animal testing and "usage" of animals is the fact that mankind at least takes some responsability towards "the animal kingdom".

@jeff: just look at computers as a cross breed of a drum and stone plates with words chiseled in and you'll not have so many problems in still regarding it "natural"... wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SugarCoatedHellmember
33 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Clothes are still necessary for a number of reasons (other than just looks) as humans have EVOLVED and lost their fur, therefore protection against numerous influences. I can't take this one serious.

The only reason why I can somewhat cope with the mere fact of animal testing and "usage" of animals is the fact that mankind at least takes some responsability towards "the animal kingdom".

Nessecity? Clothes are not the only option. If thats the only reason you cant take it seriously...thats just !!!!!!

and jeff, i dont think using a computer has much to do with any of this. I didnt buy it, dont pay for it, and dont repair it. It just lives near me.

Some one said something about natural medicine not being enough. For every ailment, there is an herb to help. Just because its natural doesn't mean its not as strong. THIS is why I'm against animal testing. In my opinion, its not nessicary. The only arguments I've read for it, is because we want to keep people alive or improve their way of life. We have the means to do so, naturally.

QOUTE The only reason why I can somewhat cope with the mere fact of animal testing and "usage" of animals is the fact that mankind at least takes some responsability towards "the animal kingdom". QUOTE

WHAT!? Please explain...

There are no witholding taxes on the wages of sin.
~ It ain't a sin to crack a few laws, just don't break them. ~
~ I lost my reputation young, and never missed it. ~
~ She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success, wrong by wrong. ~

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sugar

Clothes are not the only option

As...?

Mankind is not only destroying this planet and killing animals... I hope you have not gained this impression. There are people out there preserving nature, hosting and caring for animals.

You have a pet? Someone of your family?

Ever heard of Greenpeace? Animal Rescue? List goes on...

As to herbal medicine: There are cases where herbals are just not even quite as effective as chemicals. I think both should co-exist, but the latter should minimise it's negative impact.

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

I don't think anyone using a computer has any right to criticise something for not being natural.

That seems to imply that to be "natural" we should live like animals. Of course, if we lived like animals we would have no problem killing other animals to advance our species.

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
clothes aren't neccessary? YAY! Let's all naked! *runs outside* *runs inside* A granny just died from the sight and I'm frozen and ok, sugar coated Hell, what alternatives to clothes are there?

To you who has been accessing my online accounts, changing my login details, locations and posting censored about me, realise, you are not worth revenge, you are not worth my attention, you are nothing, and that is all you ever will be.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: SugarCoatedHell

For every ailment, there is an herb to help.

I'd like to see you try and prove that one...

And the bit about not losing your loved ones includes not only terminally ill people or those wanting to die, but also people who want to live. I don't know why it keeps coming back to the ones that want to die or can't be saved by any type of medicine.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You are right, Birgit *bows with respect* and I was putting arguments as to suit my opinion... Owe you that one...

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Patriarch917

That seems to imply that to be "natural" we should live like animals. Of course, if we lived like animals we would have no problem killing other animals to advance our species.

Too true. Once again we have the naturalistic fallacy; that nature is good and kind and fluffy. The very fact that we have arguments over animal testing is as un-"natural" as you can get!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
Birgit if my argument had already been said in the first four pages of the thread i wouldnt be repeating it would i darlin

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: CrazyHippyChick

theres a very valid argument against why tests on animals for medical purposes are completly absurd but im too mad to go into it at the moment im going to come back and post when i can think and talk sensibly about the subject

Birgit if my argument had already been said in the first four pages of the thread i wouldnt be repeating it would i darlin

Given that you've still not actually made an argument 2 weeks after that post, it's kinda hard to tell wink All you've said so far is that you're against animal testing, and that has been said before...

Not all people read through months-old pages before posting anyways, and given your apparently "too mad to go into it" state of mind I thought I'd recommend it smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
yawns

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Any reasons for being so impolite?

(G.W. Dahlquist)

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
i dont do arguments i simply have an opinion.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
it does seem like that smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
its called passionate debating wink i cant work out how to link a site to my post

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
Name of page

errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
thanks i dont want to put up what i want to say without it i wanna give people summat to think about. xxx

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
oh, ok, well, I know my opinions on it all anyway and there has been a little too many repeated arguments really for me to have the interest. I like not being overrun by modified cattle and not dying from diseases when I was a baby smile

1,189 posts

Posted:

i dont do arguments i simply have an opinion.

Opinions are worthless, only facts matter.

(IMO smile)

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
jeff, your quote gives me scary images!..... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! *Sunbird runs away!*

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Good point Jeff smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

1,189 posts

Posted:
About opinions, or about Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principal? wink

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
What are "dymanics" anyways? wink

inactiveSILVER Member
old hand
722 posts

Posted:
principal

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
ha ha, i agree with Jeff too. especially when we're on the net and it's SO easy to post a link to back up what you're saying...

Written by:

theres a very valid argument against why tests on animals for medical purposes are completly absurd but im too mad to go into it at the moment im going to come back and post when i can think and talk sensibly about the subject

i for one would like to hear what it is...surely evidence like that would end the discussion once and for all? if you have such a good argument why not share it with us? smile

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Without meaning to be more rude than hippiechick herself, I think the "when I can think and talk sensibly about the subject" might be a limiting factor.

Can anyone tell I'm in a bad mood today? shrug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: ...