Page:
SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
A quick search turned up nothing...

at 8 AM some offshore telemarketer called me, waking me up begging for money. It's now 9:47. And I haven't slept more than 45 minutes at a stretch since Sunday.

So, umm, anyone got a good cure for insomnia that doesn't involve booze, drugs, or puns on ones "dogs" being tired?

Socks

Edit add : 9:53 AM, and ANOTHER telemarketer called. Answered the phone "You have 20 seconds to improve my mood." They didn't even talk to me, they hung up. Cranky puppies have no humor on the phone....

EDITED_BY: Socks (1110902409)

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

Dressed in BlackBRONZE Member
A Fire Inside
191 posts

Posted:
how about trying to get into a 'sleep' frame of mind before you go to bed? start thinking about going to sleep perhaps an hour before bed, and then i'd go with what everyone says about focusing on something...whether it's an anchor or sheep or making a story....when you start to fall asleep the story turns into a bit of a daydream then you'll be asleep in no time! good luck!

::: I LiKe pLeAsUrE sPiKeD wItH pAiN - MuSiC iS mY aErOpLaNe :::

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
boys, boys.. you are getting me all flustered! this is a family board.. now how am I going to get to sleep.. oh yeah.. wink got a good image too now thanks..

I 've always had problems drifting off.. so over the years I've ome up with my own patented method.. now this is goig to sound really strange.. close your eyes and *feel your socket* - don't touch or anything, just become aware.. feel how your eye feels, round the orbit, the muscles, become aware of any tension. I've got to the stage where I can feel the top of my eyelid, the way it curves at the top of my eyeball... right ok now here it is.. I try to bring down my inner eyelids. it's a sort of mind thing that I guess keeps my mind from thinking about other stuff. If i think too hard about the inner eyelids they stay right up there with tension.. if I relax and allow the inner eyelids to droop I'm on my way.. but think about it too much and they zip straight back up there and flap about like blinds in a cartoon and I have to start again.. couple that with breathing.. good innn.. bad out.. good innn.. bad out - deep breaths where you actually breathe out for longer than you breathe in.. you expel more toxins out of your blood stream that way, concentrate on breathing also.. a good pattern for starters is in for 3 hold for 2 and out for 4... nice and smoothly, nicely does it, nice and gental, feel your self relax and sink deeper into the pillow/ covers, feel yourself fall... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

another good method is working from the feet up.. scruntch up your toes as hard as you can and hold for 3 to 5 seconds.. then the calf muscles, knees.. work up till you get to the face.. screw it up feel the tension all melt away and feel yourself lighter.. much lighter.. coulple with the good inn.. bad outt breathing I like to imagine colours.. so pink good... green bad.. breath in an out coloured mist.. works for me.. but then again people say I'm strange. wink
EDITED_BY: Stix* (1111004165)

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Star_in_the_skynewbie
8 posts

Posted:
I know that the scent of cellary seed knocks me right out. It's strong when you don't want to sleep, but when you are the least bit tired, you'll be out light the proverbial light.

You can't run away forever, but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start.....

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
One of the worst things you can do with suffering insomnia is sit infront of your computer.

There are studies which indicate that the interrelation between the frequency of the computer screen and your brain's alpha rhythms invokes the flight or fright response, i.e too much adrenaline floating around, but due to the static nature of the activity your body gets confused. Bright lights/computer screens inhibit your body's ability to release melatonin, which is your natural in-built sedative. Before you ask me for evidence of this, I can provide none at this point.

From a naturopathic point of view, when your body is constantly releasing too much adrenaline, your adrenal glands get tired and eventually go on strike. You feel lethargic much of the time and will probably have dark circles/lines under your eyes. You need zinc. Zinc absorption can be hindered by too much dairy food in your diet.

Amino acids such as 5htp are good for regulating sleeping patterns, mood and appetite. Another natural thing you can take is melatonin pills (see above for melatonin).

How's your caffeine intake? I know that I am quite sensitive to caffeine and restrict my consumption of coffee etc to before lunchtime. Double decaf soy cappuccino beyond midday for me!

https://www.wellman.org.au/sleep.html
<- some advice on sleeping problems.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
o yeah - another trick:

when you're eyes are closed, look down into your heart area and focus the energy there. This takes the energy away from your brain/crown, which is where you're directing it when you're eyes roll back (which is what naturally happens when you close your eyes for sleep), and reduces the propensity to think think think. My naturopath taught me this trick years ago, and it really works.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Amino acids such as 5htp are good for regulating sleeping patterns, mood and appetite. Another natural thing you can take is melatonin pills (see above for melatonin).

I personally like Valerian.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
yeah - Valerian is okay. A bit too subtle for some though.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Milk....mmmmm sleepyness...too...much...milk...*head hits keyboard* iohjugfiosdhuhpugfkfaLFlkjlkg

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

funky_hatseating apples with chopsticks can be rather difficult
167 posts

Posted:
go for a random run around the block... get your body really exhausted then i usually got to sleep reallly quickly...
i heard somewhere that to have a proper good nights sleep you need to be exhausted in both your body and your mind... i rekon thats probably true.
I can usually sleep quite well, but alot of my friends have insomnia. one surgests listening to music in headphones that is really familiar to you, to help relax you.

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
Well, I did a different method. I sleep-deprived myself, then around 1 AM (I don't know the hours awake) I finally collapsed.

Only to be woken up by a telemarketer at 8 AM. **growls**

I'll try some of the mentioned stuff, I already have some relaxation techniques that I know I can do. But sometimes, it doesn't work. But, I'll try some of the other things too...

Now I'm yawning. Weird.

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Yeah I used to do that a lot.
It was a normal thing for me to get 2 hours a night for over a year.. and it's taken me another year now to become non-insomniac.
I think I've fiiiinally done it smile.

frostyBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
does anyone know of any poi instructors in the dfw area in texas?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
*bump*
same problem...fraid of needles so no acupuncture...my city is not the best to go running around in the middle of the night and when i do take the dog out for the final run, i am exhausted but awake, ditto for the orgasm, tea makes me sick to my stomach, imagery i cannot focus on too long for, i have some sedation pills but their not working, lavender also makes me sick to my stomach, ginger-icky, i get cut off from caffiene on my drive home from work, but i need it to stay awake on the drive home, go to bed at 1030 each night and get up at 630 in the morning, lately, i can only get a few hours here and there
other the antihistamines...what else, no drugs, no alcohol

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
ive had insomnia for 5 years now, the last 5 months has been the worst, i cant sleep before 8am, ive tried sleeping tablets, excercise, i even went on a bender a few weeks back and stayued up 3 nights went to sleep at a normal time, had piss all sleep and still had insomnia. i guess to me its just one of those things that wont ever go away, i have to accept that i think.
thers no way i can afford any more treatment for it, accupuncture is out of the question, and even more sleeping pills are too much sometimes, i dont have omney lying around!

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't mind too much but my work is suffering...it is very detail orientated
and my relationship is too cause my boyfriend wants to go out and do stuff and i barely have enough energy to stand let alone go out and have fun

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
try sleeping in *complete* darkness... and I mean complete. block the gaps under the doors, black out your windows, everything... pitch black

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I can never sleep if I haven't been active enough during the day. I find exercise does the trick.

And I actually find that Doc and Flashy's cheeky suggestions seem to have the opposite affect on me. *shrug* I think I'm strange that way.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
I often have a lot of trouble sleeping, like last night, awake til 3:45 although I wouldn't truly call myself an insomniac.

I find that ear plugs help sometimes. Stops little noises from distracting me and creating the "what was that noise, I won't sleep til I figure out what that noise was" discussion in my head.
Ear plugs can of course make your ears very very sore. I put them only just in, so they just block out sounds but are likely to fall out in my sleep, so that I don't wakeup with sore ears.

If you want to get into the metaphysical side of things, this is from one of my books:

Insomnia: Falling asleep is an act of trust which demands the ability to let go of activity, and open oneself up to the unknown. Each time you fall asleep, you die a "minor death". Moreover, once asleep, things which were suppressed during the day rise up out of the unconscious during the night. People who have difficulty falling asleep will also have difficulty in dying too, for they are not willing or capable of letting go. End your day properly, and prepare yourself for the night. Do not think of the coming day, for it will take care of itself. Simply open yourself up to what is to come and get to know, and integrate the "dark" side of life.

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Mojojo, your insomnia definition with little deaths really scares me! I think I'll be an insomniac from today on eek

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
There's one thing that never fails for me, and that is censored Always works wink

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Reminds me of this quote

Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loathe them.

Edgar Allan Poe
US short story author, editor, & poet (1809 - 1849)

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
this is a nice little article about sleep smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
insomnia sucks. but acupuncture works amazingly well, i just cant afford it just now. also when you get into bed tonight and cant sleep, notice how tense your body is, usualy you dont notice but just think about it tonight, then relax from your toes to your nose and you should drop of maybe not sooner but for longer. also dont use your bed for ANYTHING but sex and sleep, and dont turn the light on if you get up to go to the bathroom.

and also buy some jigsaws, if you wake up in the night get up and go to another room, do the jigsaw till you feel tired and then go back to bed. ive never tried that one but i hear it works amazingly well.
EDITED_BY: pop_n_fresh (1145539107)

Just call me Pop.

RumpleSTmember
61 posts

Posted:
I found that if i have trouble sleeping, I imagine a huge staircase in front of me, going down as far as you can see, the setting for it can be anything you like, whatever makes you comfy, but as you walk down the steps, with each step you take, feel your body getting more and more relaxed, down and down and down, its really good for focusing on one thing instead of lots of crap flying around your head and keeping you awake. I call the "the stairway of relaxation" (oh how original dave) wink

Just though i'd say what works for me, good luck

Its a big ol mish mash!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It is 4:43 AM. I am bumping this thread.... for no apparent reason.

....eh...I'm sure.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
recently ive found listening to audiobooks really helps to get me to sleep

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Clary Sage essential oil really knocks me out, a few drops on my pillowcase.. zonk!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simta

recently ive found listening to audiobooks really helps to get me to sleep

ditto

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
What RumpleST is describing, that's hypnosis, innit. biggrin

nice one.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
I tend to get insomnia from worrying about things (I'm a bit of a worrier sometimes). My better half suggested oats avena sativa (herbal extract), and it totally did the trick. ubbrollsmile

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

Page: