Forums > Social Discussion > Thoughts on a scientific origin for poi obsession

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
My poi addiction has always intrigued me and over the years I have thought about it a lot.

I've always come to the conclusion that it is founded on my extremely 'scientific' mind.

Has anyone else considered the origins of their addiction and thought of this explaination?

Any other theories?

Jo. smile weavesmiley

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
its all about sex, jo.
wink

and glowey things in your case.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
"its all about sex, jo"

Rob, again you reinforce your genius biggrin

And it can't be based on a scientific mind. I know nothing about science... but like my literature and arts.

However, I'm not outstandingly good at poi either... so nevermind tongue

Getting to the other side smile

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Well.. I think it looks and feels nice, which is why I started it and why I continue to do it.. Sorry to be so simple smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
anyone who's ever seen vixen, midian, loki's gf amy or most of the lovely ladies on here spin will understand the term 'poiagra'...

hell it almost manages to make ME look sexy!
EDITED_BY: Sniper (1109186149)

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Jo combines sex with glowys?

O.o

I feel it's just a simple love. I don't know how else to put it into words.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
I've been wondering about this one in [Old link] for a while now, [Old link] about the more scientific end of it in fact.

Ummm sex is definitely not part of MY theory, I personally feel that swinging things around at high speed (especially flaming things!) is NOT the sort of thing that should be combined with that unless the participants are seriously into self-flagellation.... wasn't there a self-harm thread floating around here the other day? That discussion should go over there...
wink

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
hmmm

as soon i started to learn staff i went on a serious 'learning how things work' binge

being inerested in the mechanics is definatly a huge influence.

it also puts me in 'that place' where i dont need the mechanics anymore. im not sure which is more addictive or more satisfying.

and i like the fire

and the sex... wait... sex?

theres sex too?

Love is the law.

_pOp_BRONZE Member
Playing OldSchool Poi
593 posts

Posted:
there is a girl called gnarly cranium (self-acclaimed newbie) who started a thread called [Old link] . in that first post she describes that she's not good at it yet, but is trying to explain why this thing called poi has completely taken over her mind. one of the conclusions is that it is like Yoga, or religion.
it is a beautyful post that might look well in the big Poi-recrutement flyer. go read it.

meditate eRic.

I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

Spanknewbie
8 posts

Posted:
It's all about the fire...fire and the photos, my digital camera never used to leave my hand, now i have this struggle between poi and camera, but ive taken some amazing pics, just check my website...

www.queenhanna.com

especially...

https://www.queenhanna.com/gallery/firepoi1/DSCN4883
which you gotta love!

Spank x

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
sex... poi.... both always on the mind!..

dreams of jennifer steel tonight... that way i get both.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Pk - ubblol

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
PK
Written by:

jennifer steel

Isn't that the p*wn st*r who... eek biggrin ubblol

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
yup it is...

I have always believed that my poi addiction comes from the implant in my brain from the aliens. ubbloco its true I tells ya

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I've noticed that most people in my science course at my old uni did play instruments or arts. Here at juggling there seem to be LOTS of computer students. So maybe it's just some kind of balance for people with a very scientific mind?

My real theory however is juggling, poi etc are for people who still have a bit of a child's attitude or are pyromaniacs wink The bit about the not-being-completely-grown-up correlates nicely with scientists if you see how many of them are Trekkies or roleplayers, too!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
i'm of the opinion that spinning somehow has an affect on our body's electromagnetic field or 'luminous energy field' or 'aura'

i like to think of my energy field being stimulated by the constant motion of chains or sticks (with or without fire) swinging by.

peace

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
I agree with Rob :-)

spaceySILVER Member
mischeivious pixie
291 posts

Posted:
I like to think that my poi obsession is about balance.
like the way the earth orbits the sun and the moon orbits the earth....or weather and seasons are all a cycle or circle...even our hormones (especially if female) go in cycles.
when spinning poi i find that i find a bit of inner peace and when finished im relaxed and happy and feel more balanced.....a bit deep i know but hey what can ya say....
...oh yeah it could be about sex too!!!! wink

"I dont want no fatty bumbum, i want a lean mean shagging machine" anon

"I'm sweet and wholesome with a little bit of filth thrown in"

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Gnarly CraniumSILVER Member
186 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

instruments... arts... computer students... pyromaniacs... Trekkies or roleplayers, too!

....Guilty as charged, all of the above..... redface

I personally though do not believe that artistic and scientific endeavers contradict each other in any way. Math can create beauty, (I bet the paths of any poi move could be basically defined by a few fairly simple equations, and a computer could generate some of those spiffy trail-patterns we see in photos) and understanding science takes imagination. I loved my physics classes. Course I'm a total sci-fi/fantasy freak-- and in all things, you gotta know the rules before you can break them well... which is to say, you can't write or truly appreciate a story about something fantastical unless you have some clue how the world already works, or the setting you come up with will seem shallow and awkward.

I am an artist, but I love best to work in the computer, since there's that lovely invention known as the Undo button, and the possibilities for experimentation and control of the medium is almost endless. It's just annoying that there's really technical stuff (like programming! aaaaagh!!) involved.

"Ours is not to question The Head; it is enough to revel in the ubiquitous inanity of The Head, the unwanted proximity of The Head, the unrelenting HellPresence of The Head, indeed the very UNYIELDING IRRELEVANCE of The Head!" --Revelation X

Fear-TineSILVER Member
enthusiast
227 posts

Posted:
i love biomechanics and physics and its fun to know whats going on especialy when i say gyroscope on fire recently.

but at the same time my body does stuff i couldnt consiously figure out using science. the Reason im addicted though is, its the door to my world and as soon as i start spinning I step into a place just for me.

My head is full of sex anyway so its hard to separate anything i ever do from that smile

Grow old but never grow up

The Real Fryed FishGod's illgitament son
1,489 posts

Posted:
<---------fun, pure and simple fun

i was taking everything WAY to serious till i learned poi, now life is just more fun........

You can't avoid pain by fencing yourself from it.
Some times you need the help of others more than anything else
But you have to let them close enough to help......
People want to be needed, I found that out too

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Anyone who hasn't already should check out 'Spherculism's 'poibot'

It is amazing and prooves we are really very, very close to having the maths of spinning 'derived'. Good learning tool for all too as I'm sure it will show you stuff you can't do (bloody jedi... wink

Jo.
EDITED_BY: Jo (1109257824)

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
OMG who much did that dream turn in to a wet one.

Dragon want a lend of this dream dude?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
When I took up staff and poi, I stopped playing computer games.

Nuff said.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i stopped watching tv. not that i watched much in the first place.
and stopped playing pootah games.
and having a life outside of playing.
smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
i just spent the last sixteen hours on a computer game

easy known, im injured and cant spin...

too true

Love is the law.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
16 hours? eek

What game was it?
And will you get better soon? hug

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
fable for xbox. im not even a gamer...

on the road to recovery

the incredible thing is i've never spent so much time spinning in my head. and when i do pick up my stick, the things i was imagining i could do..., work!!! this is a new dvelopment and lots of fun.

it showed me that im finally understanding some of the fundamentals about the stick and its relationship with my physical self.

Love is the law.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Fable IS an addicting game... I'll grant you that.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
If not a bit long.

I am addicted to poi cos i enjoy doing it. basic stuff. Mayb there is a deeper thing than that, but i havn't figured it out yet...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Mayb there is a deeper thing than that, but i havn't figured it out yet...

It will come. Some call it Enlightenment, some just the key to the Universe . . . basic stuff. . .

wave

hug

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

Page: