Forums > Videos > making things smaller (divX settings)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
right, more begging in the video forum from coleman redface

this time, i'd like some compression advice please ubbangel

have been playing around with some old (and some new) footage recently but every time i try rendering a movie (with a soundtrack), i can't seem to end up with a file any smaller than about 700mb.

i've seen some great videos around at a decent quality but with file sizes that are acceptable for net distribution.

if anyone that has produced a video and trudged through the quagmire that is video compression would be so kind as to give me a few tips on what settings i should be using then i might even release a video (i've only been threatening for about 2 years now wink)...

anyway, here are some details:

what i'm using: adobe premiere pro 1.5 & divx5.11
what i've got (well 'will have' if you want to split hairs): 7 minute edited video of firespinning (mostly black background) with music
what i want to do: render to an avi or mpeg, creating a file ~30-80mb in size
what i need: suggestions of how to set up divX to best compress this type of footage and which settings i should/can tweak to get better results
what i really would like to avoid: dropped frame rate, pixellation and interlacing
what would be the absolute ideal: an example of a video using the settings you described

if anyone's up for the challenge i'd be very grateful smile

thank-you ubbrollsmile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
hehe see bumped thread biggrin settings should be the same isnt premier up to 7 or something now? 1.5 sounds quite ..... vintage ?
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1109158298)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
premier pro ben.
not premier.
is the frame rate on cabaret saute to your liking? sorted the deinterlacing out too.
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cheers ben hug

i got all my project settings set just as you described smile

i was really looking for a more detailed description of how you set divx up.
divx has four compression profiles and they all just seem to create huge files, whichever one i choose - some of them make the video unwatchable as a bonus too confused

any tips on how to reduce video size and quality without going completely mad figuring it out? wink

and premiere pro 1.5 is like premiere v8 or something.

its confusing cos they added the word 'pro' and started counting again from the start.

link to the site - pm me and i'll send you a cd if you like (maybe even one with a video too eek)?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

is the frame rate on cabaret saute to your liking? sorted the deinterlacing out too.
R

you know what... i've never seen it redface

you threatened to send me a cd of it once but then uploaded it like the next day.

but i can't d/l it from work and my internet at home is so sketchy that we couldn't even email a photo to hels last night mad

your compression on 'how to' was great i thought (better than the 'spinage sesh' videos it seemed), although admittedly the footage on 'how to' is very different to the stuff i'm using at the moment - fire rather than daytime.

i'll obviously be asking the ninja for his advice on this too but i'd very much appreciate your daytime compression settings if you'd be so kind? hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
thats very weird it sounds like your outputting the file totally uncompressed

my version is using divx 5.2.1

when u export movie click settings then in the drop down box select video then click configure this should bring up the divx editable features try setting the bitrate to around 1000 kbps, ive got the encoding performance set to standard, this should give u an output size of around 7meg per minute try just outputing just a portion (click on a bit then go export clip) of your video with those settings to see if it gives u a better size (its much quicker than waiting for the whole thing to process)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
cole ill install prem pro this savo, and have a look for you if you like, im going to help lisa out as well cos i dont have it on my ltop at work

so its all good, ill send you an email hopfully this savo ok?

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cheers guys.

good tip on the clip export for testing all this out ben - that should save me a sh!tload of time!

another general tip i've been given is that i may want to consider rendering a high quality mpeg to start off with and then using virtualdub to encode and compress to my liking.

anyone prefer this method...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Andrews extra tip Divx will only compress the visual, not the audio, so use an mp3 compressor or something like microsoft adpcm for that (I guess its free as I have it).
Double compressing sound like a crazy idea.
Andrews other extra tip, make a 10 second clip and experiment on that lots to find a good solution.

Below worked for me, its not perfect its a good start, but that was divx3 I think, you can get better nowdays.
I retrospect I would have made the audio better - 16000Hz
And don't lower the frame rate, it looks pants
And i always reinstall divx 4 when I'm making videos!! i don't like 5
Total Duration: 0:01:39:23
Average Data Rate: 64.36KB per second
Image Size: 360 x 288
Pixel Depth: 24 bits
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.067 <---pal!!
Frame Rate: 25.00 fps

Audio: 8000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Video track 1:
Total duration is 0:01:39:23
Size is 5.43MB bytes (average frame = 2.54KB bytes)
There are 10 keyframes, 2488 delta frames.
Frame rate is 25.00 fps
Frame size is 360 x 288
Depth is 24 bits.
Compressor: 'DIV3', DivX® 5.1.1 Codec

Audio track 1:
Size is 799.00KB bytes
Rate is 8000 samples/sec, stereo
Sample size is 16 bits
Compatible compressor: MS-ADPCM
Compression ratio is 3.91:1

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
whos this andrew fella ubbangel

there should so be a faq to video making as a sticky on this forum ....

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
divx does compress audio.

confused

(mine certainly does)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
not on "how to" it didn't
Maybe 5 does?? I don't use 5

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
how to was before i was compressing. that were pk...
i'm on 5.2.1
cabaret saute is down to 8000hz from 44000
bloody deinterlacing still pissing me off tho
AND that bloke from fyrefli.
censored

rantranrantrant.
get my pm?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
thank-you to everyone for tips, advice and settings.

will attempt a few test renders tonight and report back tomorrow (if i can get access to the net).

grouphug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
rob i use tmpgenc https://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

to deinterlace all my stuff, very powerfull prog to use for free!

Step (el-nombrie)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
takes me about 1 minute to get vids compressed. i love my uberfast pootah.

tyhanks mech, i got it now.

smiles
R

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
right, i'm getting a 'can't load p3package.dll' any ideas?

R

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well, i'm no expert but i reckon you're missing a dll called 'p3package'...

*runsoff*

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
biyatch.

you're getting a serious punchhugging when i see you next.

*doofdoof*hug2*doofdoof*

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
you are mising a dll file from tmpgenc?

try downloading the file again, if not ill sned you a file tomorrow, so you can download my copy...

Step (el-nombrie)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmmhuh.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I use a prog called Dr. DivX to encode my vids with DivX. It has lots of good features including an option to manually set the size of the file (ie - if you want a 10MB video, just type in 10MB and it will come out that size) as well as audio compression settings. Has lots of other stuff as well. Worth the money (or time downloading) IMO.

What I do (to not only encode but also deinterlace) is Ill capture/edit the video all up in Adobe and export it as an MPEG in VCD format. This gets rid of the interlacing junk as well as makes the file smaller. Then Ill import that into Dr. DivX which will get the file to the exact size/quality I want it. Might be a round about way of doing things but Im self taught and it works for me smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Personally, I like XviD, which is an open source mpeg-4 codec and pretty cross-compatible with DivX5 (if someone has DivX codec installed, it'll play XviD and vice versa). For some reason I've had corruption issues if I try to compress directly from Premiere Pro 1.5 on my machine, so I found it worked best if I output as uncompressed video and then use VirtualDub.

Then import into VirtualDub. Change the audio to Full Processing and mp3 as the compression (there's several free mp3 codecs if you don't already have one). Then select XviD as the video compression.

You have two main options there, either single-pass or two-pass. If you have one continuous scene (or just want simplicity), single-pass is the easiest. A bitrate of around 1500 is nice for 640(720)x480 type video.

For two-pass, you select Pass 1 first and select what file size you want. Then you save the avi with "process later" checked. Then you change to Pass 2 and do the same thing. Then open the Job Control window and start it up. What that does is analyze the content of the video and spread out the compression where it is needed most.

If your video is DV, be sure you de-interlace or else you'll get weird comb type effects in places of high motion. You probably want to do this in Premiere if you're going to use text overlays or special effects. If you de-interlace after the video is done, it'll reduce the resolution of the text and make it look worse. I forget the exact method, but I think you can right-click each clip on the timeline and tell it to de-interlace it. Kind of a pain if you have a lot of clips, but seems to work well.

And yeah, tmpgenc is definitely the way to go for mpeg-1 compression. mpeg-1 is still more of a standard than divx or xvid, and so is probably the most compatible format, but not as efficient for compression.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
thank-you so much shawn biggrin hug biggrin

that is exactly what was happening to me and i was getting very frustrated that none of the changes i made seemed to make any difference - it didn't matter what compression i tried to use, premiere would horribly corrupt the video upon rendering.

i'm using divx at the moment but have heard from several people now that xvid is the better way to go.
your suggestions were perfect and as i already had virtualdub i managed to compress nice and quickly first go smile

will try multipass compression this weekend.

a couple more questions if anyone fancies a stab:

1. am i right in saying that if i have an avi and compress it using xvid that i should change the file extension from .avi to .mpeg or .mpeg4?

2. does virtualdub have a function to reduce video size or should i use premiere to reduce when i produce the uncompressed file?

video coming *real* soon biggrin

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
nice thread smile

i might actually manage to produce a video now.

Love is the law.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Help! u know me and tha search function are not goood friends wink

Anyway, i was wondering...i have a problem. I have an underground fire party video online and wanted to send it to the guy who's party it was. Problem is, i didnt realize he has OSX! :P mad And he cant view it frown

Do i need to convet it into quicktime? I HATE qtime with a vengance! I do not want to buy quicktime pro. Should i just convert into divx? Like Icon was saying with the Dr divx?

Thats what most of you Mac users use huh, divx? Unless you can tell me an eaiser way to change the file from .wmv into .mov without buying qtime pro. shrug

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
(I know it's a bit late but still)

I just checked a few video files with my iBook (OSX Panther installed with no video codec things added) and it doesn't like .avi files one bit, even with the ISO standard mpeg-4 that should be playable everywhere.

.mpeg files do work in quicktime though, so you should be OK encoding into an mpeg format, and your friend won't need to go installing codec packs (which i think cost money for macs).

If you can get Linux installed (or OpenBSD, it's a lot easier because of the excellent manuals) you can use the free command line mplayer/mencoder suite to transcode between pretty much any video and audio formats. Makes all the windows video software look crap. I tried tmpgenc / virtualdub / flask / gordian_knot / xmpeg / nandub and they all crash on files that mencoder just does, and a lot faster I might add. The best bit about Unix is it never crashes smile

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Cheers m8. The original file WAS .mpeg! Doh! censored I should be able to handle that. smile ty.

On the other hand dont you think that converting my OS to linux, just for a video, is a lil over kill wink ubblol biggrin thanks again

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
umm moja problem:

I have just edited my first REAL video in Premier Pro and as far as i can see it's looking pretty damn fine... it also just happens to be a poi video so this is not off topic biggrin... but i have attempted to compress it to mpeg format but this has made it look shitty and besides that it's still 47.7mb!! Now figuring i have a fast connection, it's just five minutes and there is unlimited webspace available, but it STILL will take 60 minutes to upload, then this is not so good for internet, nej? I don't think we have this DIVx programme, or at least i can't find it on this computer, unless it's attached to premiere?.... so is it reasonable to assume i should be able to get it smaller with premiere?.... can someone help?!?

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
NOn, please compress your audio stream too!

Dr Div-X will quickly compress your exported file into a lithe little div-x .avi file, even as a trail version.

If you have your heart set on exporting directly to div-x from Premiere (thus avoiding generational loss) then you'll have to download a div-x encoder codec.

most people only download the decoder for Div-x, as they only need to watch, not author div-x video.

if you wish to adopt this method, then download div-x 'create' bundle and follow the premiere export instructions at:

https://www.divx.com/divx/create/divxpro/guides/premiere.php

bill smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
k. another begging help thing, possibly not entirely divx related:

my camera records stuff as an mpg, at 25 fps, 640x480. for some unfathomable reason, when i try play it in windows media player, or edit it in win movie maker (v2), it only comes up as being about half the length it actually is (eg 4 sec. film becomes 1.3 seconds). Id doesn't screw up the framerate or anything, and it plays right through. The problem comes when i try save it from WMM, as it only saves the 1.3 seconds worth, and ditches the last half.

Any ideas, reasons, solutions, alternatives?

I have adobe premiere, but have similar troubles, except that messes with the framerate instead.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Page: