Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I lost a patient today. Sick little girl, 1.5 months old. Probably had some sort of metabolic disorder...and she just stopped breathing.

The problem is she stopped breathing just after I'd stopped dicking with her oxygen.

Everyone tells me it's not my fault...but I'm not convinced. The fact that the attending praised me on my appropriate response to the situation made me feel a lot better. I was prepared to resign my position as a student. But I'm devastated.

I will never forget the sight of that mother holding her dead baby girl in her arms and sobbing. It will be etched into my memory forever. I just stood there and said "I'm so sorry." She nodded...and then after a few more seconds...I left.

And then I went to cry.

And I still can't get the nagging feeling out of my head that I somehow caused it.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
you're in a career that is very full on emotionally, mentally and physically. you're also in a very responsible position. seeing how much this affected you gives an indication of how passionate you are about helping people. it's natural to feel that you could have done more, or whatever. it certainly takes a very strong and special person to enter into a feild like yours. i'm so sorry that you had to go through this. hug

SocksBRONZE Member
Arf! Can I have a biscut?
288 posts

Posted:
We meet people as we journy through life, and each teaches us something. The lessons we learn from them we carry for time. hug hug hug

Socks

I'm weird. Just work through that and we'll all be fine.

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater suggest that he wear a tail." - Fran Lebowitz

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
Lightning - you are stronger than I am. I couldn't choose a profession where I have to watch shildren die - even if it were my job to stop them - especially if that were so - I would see every death as a personal failure and find a way to blame myslef for it.

Sort of like you have I guess. Try your hardest not to do that, because, as Skulkly says, we need more doctor's like you. Don't let coincidence get you down, even though I know how easy it is to find fault for yourself in such things.

hug

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Dr Mike,

The first time, i stumbled across HOP i remember reading a post from somebody who was struggling to deal with a family members illness. You jumped in straight away and did all you could, answering questions, PM'ing advice. I remember thinking that if i ever needed a straight forward answer to something like that i would ask you and i don't even know you. Your caring, patient nature on-line seems ideally suited to medicine and i think medicine would suffer a great loss if you were to leave. Keep at it. Believe in your ability and keep trying to save those lives - even if sometimes they don't want to be saved.

Keep smiling and stay strong

hughughug

Gayle.....!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hugs to you Mike! . Not an easy job when you experience such sadness - focus on the fact that you are making a positive contribution, there will be a lot more people who wouldn't live without the knowledge you have acquired / are acquiring and your hard work. If you need support to get through this - consider availing of counselling available to you through hospital.

Warm Hugs, tea and sympathy
Kat

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
hey mike... that's really tough man, but the fact that you care so much show's what a great doctor you are and will be. skully and NYC are both right, don't give up but use this to make you stronger and know that you can always find support here. if it wasn't for caring people like you what chance would anyone have... keep on giving man but remember to take care of yourself too... smile

hug hug2 hug hug2 hug

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
Think of the lifes you've helped and saved though, i'm sure they out way this! Although it doesn't make it any better on you, but it might help looking at it from that perspective.
My thoughts for the girl and her family.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Mike, you have already answered yourself with your own wisdom: some people are indeed destined for short sharp lives. Some people are neurologically devastated, intestinally impaired... too sick to be here one way or another. I worked in palliative care for 6 years and loved friend's babies as they passed through briefly. And one of the things I have come to admire most is a professional who can do their utter best, with heart and fine attention to detail (including the paperwork.. that is the collective memory of many situations). Whilst remembering that ultimately it is NOT their business who lives and dies, and when. And with the grace to accept and express the shock and pain and sometimes rage that this work visits on us.
NYC is on the money about the instant support network too.... including us! hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Welp, this happened back in February.

And I've lost a few more since then.

And I still get up to go to work every day excited to do my job.

In the end, I can't save them all. But when I can't save them, I can keep them comfortable, I can keep them calm, and I can console and support the families.

In the end, if I can look in the mirror and say "I did everything I could and everything I should," then you can sleep well that night and wake proud to be a doctor.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Well Said! hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
and again

ditto

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I agree, your a good doc mike smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ah well, that'll teach me to read the dates on threads!
May well be another of those great synchronicities in this popping up again just now though.... for someone reading...or writing.....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
MASSIVE HUGS!!!!
you poor thing....
-covers you in hugs and love and happy smiling thoughts that make you feel good-
-even more hugs-
hughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughughug

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
Its good to see you happy again, and understanding these things much better.

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

I cried lots reading through all this... sharing you feelings at the time and how many supportive and wise words came from everyone in reply

massive hugs and loads of love hug hug2 hug

glad you got passed that difficault piriod

...also reminds me how lovely and supportive this forum is grouphug

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

partypSILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
i agree with moon pixie...
i'm new on here but you've obviously got a lot of love coming from these people lightning...
glad things are in perspective for you now smile

NadishomeLiving life to the full!
177 posts

Posted:
Hey

Big big big huggles Soc, hug

Life is short!
So lets leave a mark,
for people to remember!

Page: