Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Split Time Anti-Spin Butterfly Buzzsaw.Flower

Login/Join to Participate

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Heres another nice lil anti-spin maneuver that changes things up a bit and gets you away from the usual circular spinning.

First you need to get rather fluent with the regular two beat split time butterfly flower:

- Do a split time butterfly buzzsaw facing wall plane on your right side. Have your right poi doing reverse, left doing forward.

- As your poi start their outward rotation extend your arms into an extended split time butterfly with your right arm going high and left arm going low. Then go directly into a split butterfly buzzsaw on your left side.

- Now go back to the right side in the same fashion but this time your right arm will go low while your left goes high.

This alone is a very nice move when done with no extra beats. Now for the tricky part.

To do this in ant-spin youre going to reverse the way your arms extend when transitioning. Start the split butterfly buzzsaw as stated above on the right side, then transition your right arm low and your left arm high to the left side. Vice verce to go back to the right. Get this so your arms dont ever stop moving and youll come out with a pattern looking something like this:
,__,
)__(

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Analemmaenthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Written by:

Split Time Anti-Spin Butterfly Buzzsaw.Flower

peace biggrin

My Hint: Play more with Atomics and all these will unravel weavesmiley

(Do my posts sound the same confused)

To learn - read. To know - write. To master - teach . . .

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Heheh, that sounds like arashi wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I think this one might even be beyond Arashi lol. I can do this move and I still dont see how that hint helps hehe.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
yaaaAAAAAaaaaaawn... tongue

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
What's that arashi? Easier in trinity you say?

*runs off giggling and hides*

wink

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
^^ haha. you'll never live down naming a move after a matrix character.

you can get this much at least to 'unravel' fine without ever touching a 90-degree 'atomic' if you know how to weave with butterfly inversions. I think I described this just this weekend in the 'inversions' thread, but the way tenticle and I do it makes the top two points the same so that it's a triangle instead of a square. and I found that it has to be anti-spun if you cross the arms.

if you do know more about atomics (which I don't, really), you'll find that's what happens when you uncross this and try to make it a 2 beat move (instead of 3 or 4). one beat normal, one beat inverted, but still side to side, left to right. the planes bow out toward 90 degrees harder than I can pull them back to wall-plane. I think it can be done, though, just not very quickly.

-- dut

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Holy crap!, I mean Wow,,,,I read the original post, understood it, grabbed my poi, went outside, and did it. Ok, I'll be honest, there was quite a bit of try it, run back inside,,,,reread, go back outside, but I pulled it off. But.....what I can't help wondering is,,,why the anti-spin? Does this look any different that doing it without the anti-spin? Than doing it the easier way ?

As an aside, I don't mean to hijack your thread but lately I've been trying to figure out how to take the buzzsaw and make a big circle with it. Say, first on the right side of my body, then down low, then on the left side, then up high before returning back to the right side. I've seen this done in a video, I think it was one of Oli's but I don't have it on this computer. And what I was wondering is,,,,should I be working on this in the regular buzzsaw,,,or the butterfly buzzsaw ? It seems that the regular buzzsaw gives me six small circles in my big circle whereas the butterfly buzzsaw version gives me eight

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Stout,

The difference between the anti-spin and normal version of this move is quite big. You get a totally different pattern. The pattern you get while anti-spinning should look something like a square with concave walls whereas the regular st butterfly buzzsaw flower just looks like two circles inside a larger circle.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
So that's what that diagram meant, gotcha. That's one big problem with not having a video camera, I can't film myself to see the differences. Of course seeing someone else do them live would be even better.

Thanks....David

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah, mirrors and shadows also work for watching yourself do stuff.

Im glad you were able to learn it through my description though. I usually hate trying to decipher text descriptions of moves so I really try to break it down as simple as possible when I write them.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
how you described it was really good, icon.
yay!

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Doood if you take out the anti spin then you are left with a huge range of old skool moves.

Just been reworking on these myself (minus antispin) and there are some awsome outside flowers that you can connect to buzzsaw flowers and flip 1 poi fig 8 to mix them from weave to butterfly.

Outsides as in weave wall plane. Bloddy awsome fun. Horozontal buzzsaw butterfly flowers eek Think im finding myself smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
HORIZONTAL BUZZSAW butterfly flowers?? Thats gotta be impossible... Non buzzsaw ones are only really possible with hand swaps as far as I can tell... Buzzsaws would disable hand swaps?

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nick taught me this move a few weeks back smile

i can do the normal version but the antispin one goes wonky after about four or five cycles at the moment.

its a goodun' and that was a truly great description of it mr icon.

i think it might be on nick's poi studio video...

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
hey Stout, think Nick will be here with Dan next weekend, ya free? He would show you I am sure...

I can do the buzz saw circle thing, but the antispin stuff throws me, would have to see it to even conceptualize properly... Sounds interesting tho...
~a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."