Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Skates + Poi = Tha Bomb Diggety

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Back in the day, about 7th through 9th grades, I used to roller skate. Not with roller blades but with quad speed skates. My friends would laugh at me cuz I couldnt skate fast. I always lost any race I would get in and had many accidents while attempting to skate fast. It just wasnt my style. I was a more dancey skater interested more in the shuffling/figure skating stuff and was fairly good at it. Anyway, after a while I out grew my rather expensive and nice rollerskates and stopped doing it. I found poi a few years later at the age of 20 and have taken to it in much the same way as I did with my skating. Over the past year and a half Ive progressed further than I even imagined with poi. And now, this year for christmas, I got a new pair of roller skates...

...And now, I just got back from my first poi/skate session and I gotta say, it was FUN. First off, I tried my new skates out for the first time. I was surprised by how fast I picked everything back up after about 6 years of not doing it. In fact, I really think Ive somehow gotten better through non-practice. After I got my backwards skating and turning down I picked up my poi and started spinnin. Again, surprisingly enough, it was much easier than I anticipated it to be. I felt I could almost spin my poi freely while I was skating, as if I werent wearing them at all. Transitioning moves, turning and all that jazz was really no problem. The skates add such a nice fluid touch to everything because figure/shuffle skating is something of a dance form alone. You can do things like skate backwards but make it look like youre walking forwards (like a moonwalk) while doing an iso buzzsaw or something. Or even do splits while skating and do some between the leg stuff. Theres tons of really nice skating move/poi move combos and they go really well together IMO.

Hopefully sometime in the next few months I can get some video footage of what I can do. I really think more people should get into skate/poi because I think theres a bunch of untouched potential in it.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

ISMELLSMOKEnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I put on some new wheels which are wider and softer but I found the original wheels alright too.

My Mum swears that when she was wee, she went on her rollerboots so much that the wheels turned triangle!! Hahahaha!!

! Demanding the impossible !

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
hehe, i did that to the stoppers on my old ones!

but the wheels?? how did she get anywhere? ubblol

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
You dont really need to go all out when buying skates. You could just buy a cheap pair and theyll probably work fine. Of course, if you wanted to do professional stuff and be really good, youll need better equipment... But if youre just lookin for some to have fun with, buy whichever fits your budget and style best.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Hah, I just found this awesome old school skate video. Doesnt have anything too crazy in it but it is definately a great vid. It even features people skating while juggling and hoola hooping. Perhaps something to hold yall over till my vid gets made smile

https://www.cora.org/Funk%20PhenomenonWMF.wmv

I wish i had speakers that worked on my computer frown

Great idea with the skates though! ubbrollsmile

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Hey! I've done roller-poi before... at Burning Man and a few Burning Man parties. The "Black Rock Roller Disco" is run by D Miles, the same guy that runs that cora.org web site. I found it easier to do while skating backwards, and the turns/transitions are a pain if you're going fast. I personally prefer the in-lines because that's what I'm used to, but I guess the quads might be better for doing slower, dancier movements without looking like a hockey skater.

A lot of the old school roller disco stuff still goes on... I know I saw a bunch of skaters in... was it Regent's Park? when I was in London, and I know there are still regular skate gatherings on weekends in SF and LA.

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah... the first thing my Mom said when she saw me spin fire was "Can you do that on ice skates?" My little sister was a figure skater.

Page: