Forums > Social Chat > To all the shy newbies out there

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Hey, this is just a short one because I can see how this crazy good board grows and how impressive it could look from the outside...

I mean, about a year ago, there were less than 400 members and I was so damn impressed. and then in time I felt more comfortable, got in touch with some of the most amazing people ever and now I feel at home really... crazy amount of new and beautiful people every week, so much energy and silliness and light ...

but precisely for that reason, I can imagine how, despite the warmth and kindness and fun that wonderful people like Cantus, Dibs, Thistle, Kyrian, Ros and many otehrs put in welcoming new comers in the introduction threads or elsewhere...yep, I can imagine how intimidating HOP could seem at first.

And so here is a little message for you all who just discovered HOP.
I am sure it is obvious that this place is warm, tolerant and fun. It is run by a fantastic man called Malcolm, moderated by Pele ,CHarles and Josh with talent (much respect and love to you )and it is taken care of by all of us with love and smiles and sillliness. .

And it does look like everyone knows everyone, some people living miles away claim to be family (and they are in their souls ... much love to my family here ), private jokes, nutella or marmite fetish and all that ... but it is very open and don't feel shy, we're all so excited when someone new's coming here.

I actually am no old timer here and it is not really my role to say that, I know . i was just suddenly putting myself in the place of a newbie arriving on HOP. I also remember reading some new people writing how "we all know eachother so well" that they hope they can "fit in" ... I guess all I meant is that this is a warm , cosy and big house and everyone's more than welcome !!!!

shine on
Cassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CarreySILVER Member
180 posts

Posted:

Nice one Danae.
C

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
You're Gorgeous Cass!

Welcome everyone!

Come in, sit down and it will not be long before someone is offering you sandwiches and tea....

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Sorry if some of our silliness seems a bit overpowering. Our references to each other are not meant to be intimidating but they may give the impression of closed groups which is definitely not the case. It's just idle banter. Reading Cass's post made me realize some of the things I say might make people feel excluded or make me seem unaproachable. It's not meant to Please feel welcomed and loved accordingly *hugs*

I still feel like a newbie here even though I 'know' some of the people. I love to meet all the new people too. Don't feel intimidated or shy - We all want to get to know you and find out about you and chat to you and things. And nobody needs to worry about not fitting in - be yourselves and you'll be greeted with love and friendliness from all corners of the world.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

4,224 posts

Posted:
I don't think any of us should apologize, especially not a beautiful soul like you, Ros

I also really don't think we should change anything... just telling the new comers how welcome they are and how, not so long ago we also posted our first post wondering if we'd fit in

we all do ... HOP is big enough to fit the whole universe...
shall we have a barbecue (FYI, i'm the Barbecue fairy among other things )...

shall we ?

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
quote:
Hey, this is just a short one because I can see how this crazy good board grows and how impressive it could look from the outside... - Cassandra
lol, total word count: 346. lol, short, lol, sorry don't mean to be rude, rofl. short.

Anyway, Just to try and get some of the newbies (lol, like I'm not a newbie) to pop into this thread and say hi.

I only started spinning at the end of May and joined the DB's here on the 7th of june or thereabouts(?) and all the people here are really lovely and nice, don't be nervous about posting or being flamed(that just doesn't happen, unless there's a really good reason).

This place sort of just reminds me of a massive outdoor festival, you can wander around and say hi to everyone, and they'll help if that's what you need, make you laugh, cringe (in a good way ), blah blah, sentance, words, more words and finally somewhere a point, perhaps.

oh, dear I seem to have lost the ability to make sense again, I'm going to find some cheese.

p.s. Cassandra (you'll probably not remember this but..), I never said if I like marmite or not. sorry but I do but I also LOVE nutella

I wonder what nutella is like in coffee? anyone?

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

4,224 posts

Posted:
LOL... OK ... that was not as short as I wanted it to be or thought it would be. i just wanted to make sure I word things correctly

Ok ... anyway ...
Sub... counting my words ? got some free time lately ?

shine on
Cassandra

Anselmmember
28 posts

Posted:
If Sub's got half a brain, then sub went and plugged your thing into a word document and hit "word count". But then that's what I would have done, sub may be differant.

Anselm

BTW, I'm a newbie here too. Only signed up in may. But I've been spinning for nigh on three years now, all told, and seriously spinning fire for a year and a half.
And yet I know almost no other spinners... Damn this town and all the borring yuppies in it!

A

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
nah, copied and pasted into word and used the word count thing'um wotsit.

however I have been at work all day and haven't done anything, except some poi.

what a beautiful day

be happy everyone

[ 09 July 2002, 03:50: Message edited by: sub ]

*But you're so tired...*

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Cass you're such an angel
Always making other people feel welcome and comfortable.
I've not been on here long either, but already my family and friends are growing and I have all the HoPers to thank for that...

*feels like she's giving her first oscar speech, so decides to be quiet - but if I ever get one, you'll all be in it! *

This place is nothing but liberating. You will all settle in no time.

Now where's that tea?? No milk for me please...

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
You lately we've been forgetting the whole newbie/trampoline tradition.

Just thought i'd mention it. carry on.

Meh

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
speaking as somewhat of a newbie here, and after pondering whether or not I should be familiar with this abreviation, I just can't seem to put it together..... What do you all mean when you say lol??? love of life? Light one long???? I just don't know!!! please enlighten me.... thanx - I'd like to understand the lingo

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
i may have been gone for a while but i know im back at Home(of poi) when i see a nice long meaningful post from Cassandra

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Personally when I write lol I mean laughing out loud, can't speak for everone though maybe they've got some weird code I don't know about lol

Are we nearly there yet?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I came on this board really sometime in...what...April? May? I was registered for some time before that, but I was never here. And yet I had no problem jumping in the fray. Then again, that's my nature, I'm socially inept, so that makes me essentially fearless.

I find this board to be like getting ina warm bath. I feel comfy here, and I genuinely like most all of the people on this board. It's just too bad that I don't seem to live near most of you.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Sub...Nutella is GREAT in coffee.... But I think nutella is yum in just about anything.... exept maybe marmite....

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

jazzmember
30 posts

Posted:
cass thats sooo nice of u!
i joined a couple of days ago and was kinda feelin overwhelmed by all the people here but i have felt really welcomed, its cool i never go online to chat but this is daym good!!

thanx future world peacemaker!!!

i like baboons- they have nice arse

carrotsintheskyBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
hey everyone, never been on the site before and am v v bad at all things twirly, but there's definately a fuzzy warmthness going on
well done on your super-friendly web site

Cazzarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys that's lovely of you Cass to start this thread! I'm kind of new myself but I do try to involve myself by adding to threads and maybe posting some heehee but I also love to read the posts and the threads!! Thanks for making people feel welcome as sometimes I do git a bit lost!
* boy is it dark in here or what??? .......someone find the light..the light you idiot*
Once again Cass turns the light on for us losties! ((((((((((HUG)))))))))
hehe but really I love being part of HOP!
Peace to you all
love
cazzar

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
I like it here too, but I still don't know what your meaning to lol is???

Cazzarmember
53 posts

Posted:
Dulce,
I think it means LAUGH OUT LOUD... so if like maybe there's something funny then they'll post laugh out loud to make the person reading know that they were laughing!!
like...a man walked into a bar...the other one ducked.... you would then type lol..of course the joke has to be funny and not lame haha!
hmmmmmm * turns off light..to hide in darkness*

carrotsintheskyBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
hurrah - somebody as inept at net speak as me!!! yay!! is anybody still around?
could do with a big cup of hot chocolate...mnnnn...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i've got some carrots... right here... tho you may not like it as it's american and apparently american chocolate is "minging"...

you can haev some lollies tho

and hullo!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
gotcha! thanks cazzar and thistle! Makes much more sense now...

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
dam you guys are sweet!!! *big hugs*
Not been doing poi for long (6 weeks or so) but have been going to this website regually ever since starting, really helpful, sweet, kind, huggy people!!!
twirl like you have never twirlled before!!!
luv 2 ya all
Lyd's:p

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

4,224 posts

Posted:
I spent teh night making crepes for everyone ::puts a big plate on the table:: there you go, my darlings

::looks at Ros very seriously:: don't you pull out that marmite I see in your pocket

And as for the abbreviations... at first they drove me crazy and nothing made sense to me.
So yes,
LOL (laughing out Loud) but other variations might be :
ROFL (rolling on the floor laughing )
IMO (in my opinion)
OMG (oh my god)...

one totally needs a dictionnary at first ...
or just feel free to ask

hugs, smiles and silliness
shine on
Cassandra

[ 09 July 2002, 20:36: Message edited by: Cassandra ]

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:

thanks .:*Moon Pixie*:. I'll have to try that soon, perhaps today, mmm, coffee, nutella, mmm.

dulce, yeah lol means l(augh) o(ut) l(oud), rofl is roll on floor laughing. I tend to use them when i laugh at myself (perhaps I should type 'lam' then?) whilst I read what I've just written. I laugh at myself quite often, usualy when I percieve myself as having been a little 'sad' (not unhappy sad) or 'worth (it)' (say 'worth' with heavy sarcasm) it's all bad humour from when I was younger.

......that was close I was starting to write an essay on 'lol' and it's uses,...*phew*....lol

and now I've edited it and sent it partially off on a different track, it's TOO EARLY I haven't even finished my first coffee yet

[ 09 July 2002, 20:53: Message edited by: sub ]

*But you're so tired...*

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
*chuckle* You're so right that this board can feel a little overwhelming, and it's very sweet of you to think of it, Cass.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I think the Trampline is being fixed at the moment. There was a nasty incident of some over zealous bouncing and a couple of the springs broke - I've managed to organise a temporary Trampette for a short time though so Newbie bouncing can still continue.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Eccamember
7 posts
Location: A long time ago in a galaxy far, fare way. (Victor...

Posted:
I learned of this magical place by whatchin over the shoulder of the great ARSN.

Someday I will be the most Powerfull Jedi Ever...

4,224 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HOP, Ecca

So tell us the truth ... how is Arsn's shoulder in real life ?

shine on
cassandra

Page: