Forums > Social Chat > Medium Distance Relationships

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
Has anyone on here developed a "Medium Distance Relationship" with anyone before?

I'm asking because I recently... recently being saturday the 24th started dating a girl who lives the Valley for any of you in nova scotia, I live in Halifax. Regardless of your experiences with it I'm not going to give up, because I think she's more then worth the wait, the drive, and the distance.

I suppose my real quesiton is really... how taxing is it on a relationship?

also keep in mind that our parents are totally for it, so they allow us to stay over at one another's place on the weekends after swim meets and things. Also she only lives an hour away if I drive a little over the speed limit. LoL ^.^

"By the pricking of my thumbs
Something wicked this way comes"
-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
an hour away!!! Thats next door by irish standards. sounds like your sweet on the lucky girl too. go for it and dont doubt yourself. smile

Love is the law.

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
lol, she's hardly next door... I tried that one once... it didn't turn out very well at all

lmao ^_^;;

I don't doubt myself too terribly... just... I don't want anything to go wrong too soon cause that would suck a lot

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
my last serious relationship began as a long distance relationship.

i was living in ireland, he was in the netherlands. it was never a strain, but neither of us were jealous or possessive types so it suited us quite well. we eventually got together, and although we're no longer with each other, it did last almost 10 years.

so yeh, i'd say go for it. if you want something bad enough it'll happen, that's my approach. an hour is nothing, it takes me an hour and a half to get home from work and that's only 5 miles away!

furthermore, isn't it better to have given it a shot, than regretting not even trying? go for it, just take things easy at the start.

carpe diem and all that jazz......

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
lol, so it would seem

10 years... HOLY CRAP... man my longest relationship was... my longest relationship wasn't even a year lmao

thanks

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
yeh, but i am probably just a teenie weenie bit older than you wink

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
lol ya think? considering if you just broke up with him like today, I would have been 7 when you started dating that guy
lmao

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
that makes me exactly twice your age ubblol

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Ya, go for it! biggrin
An hour? An hour's nothing!

Spitfire and I spent our first 5 months being 4hrs drive (to and from airports) and a 10hr flight away from each other.
It was hard, but we worked through it, and actually spent quite a lot of time with each other.
It's only recently we've managed to live in the same place for a while... and the struggle's not over yet.

IMO it's more than worth it. If it works out for, that hour on the road will fade into insignificance.
And as faberge said- isn't it better to have given it a shot, than regretting not even trying?

Good luck with it. hug

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Indeed...an hour is NOTHING.

As Faberge said, and Mand requoted...isn't it better to give it a shot rather than be left wondering "what if?"

GO FOR IT. From what you've said....she's worth it....so take the plunge!

hug

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
Hey! Like mentioned many times in this thread... at least you live in the same country... An hour's not that bad really (and goes pretty quickly when you're on the way to meet her *anticipation, don't ya love it!*) biggrin

A couple of really good friends of mine shuttled between two countries when they first started. Now they've decided to stay in one country. They've been together for six years now and still as in love as the day I introduced them to each other... wink

The distance may actually work to your advantage because then you make a conscious effort. Go for it! Good luck...

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
My brother dated a girl from the Valley. Somewhere in Kings, I think. Did it work? No. It turned into a MSN relationship! BUT you have a car (big huge grey van, really) so you can see her more than my bro saw his girl. So, I don't think it'd turn out like my bro and his ex. Now they don't talk ubbangel lol!

Oh, and you biatch, when are you not working at the same time I am not working? like I said before, we gotta got for another spin.

~ Bobo

PS... OH MAN!!! I jsut remembered how much room was in your van! I'll find you a matress, and truly make it a love shack! We can do that brake thing that makes it bounce, and put speakers on the outside, that blare "Love Shack" by the B-52s. Admit it, it would be bloody amazing!
EDITED_BY: OrangeBobo (1091035788)

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya an hour is not bad at all. it can definately be done.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
One hour is nothing . Why you even asking this question if you really like this girl ?.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

MeleSILVER Member
A perth girl gone walkabout...
396 posts

Posted:
ditto

And why not make use of that hour by picking up some language cd's or something... if you are going to be in the car alot, learn a language while driving, or pick up some funky tunes and sing at the top of your lungs, or grab a book on cd - It doesn't have to be an hour wasted driving... could turn it into useful "me" time. ubbrollsmile

Good luck! Aint love grand! ubblove

*sigh*

I smile because i have no idea whats going on!! biggrin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Mele has a great point. I had a clinic a half hour away that I had to drive to every morning, so I listened to symphonies.

And the iTunes music store has books on MP3 cheap.

Besides, you just said that she's worth the wait, the drive, and the distance. So what's the question again? tongue
EDITED_BY: There is no 'e' in 'Lightning' (1091079659)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
I was more looking for your guys' experiences with distance relationships to see what I can learn from your experiences so I don't fail... not because I'm looking for a reason to run away lol ^.^ I probably could have worded the initial post a little bit better I suppose...

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Guy here smile

Slightly different in that I was already going out with Mrs Durbs before I went to uni in Southampton (she was still in G'ford) which was also an hour away.

It was hard/weird at first, but we have these great things called telephones! wink Also, you'll find the time you spend together is more special as it's just that much more effort to see them smile

6 years down the line - things are still going well - She's now at Oxford Uni and I'm in Guildford (about 1.5 hours away) and we're still solid as one of those really hard things made of stone.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Me and GeorgeB lived 110 miles apart when we started seeing each other, it was kinda a jaunt but worth it. You don't notice after a while as it becomes a normal journey.
We travelled 3 hours by train each way most weekends for over a year before we moved in together, the hardest decision was which town to live in once we decided to be together permenantly!

Advice time....

.....alternate journeys, one weekend go there, the other let her come to you. It has to be a two way thing or you'll get pissed off and so probably will she. Every so often have a weekend off and make sure you spend it with your mates, they're just as important remember, yours and hers.

Occaisional posted items of effection are great, love letters, little presents etc. Not to often or you lose the element of surprise but do them.

Be realistic, if you can't afford to travel don't go. Save it for the next weekend.

Call her whenever you want to, don't worry about it being every day or anything, it's healthy to have time apart gathering thoughts and doing stuff, especially in the early stages. If you're truthful and honest she'll know it's not you ignoring her for two days it's just you living your life. Same vise-versa

Thats all for now, most important thing is be realistic through it all. Be honest with yourself and with her and all will be good, and remember, have lots of fun making up lost time between visits wink smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Frodo and I live about 150 odd miles away from each other so we'll see each other for a couple of days when hes in cornwall then have a week, maybe two apart. It does make the time we spend together more memorable and more special.

Telephones are wonderful things! Use them lots! biggrin

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
yeah, an hour's nothing man and it means you both get some space from each other which is often good to have until things get more serious... smile

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Bug has a good point. Don't forget your mates. After all, relationships come and go, but friends should always be there.

And dub? Your avatar is scaring me. eek *runs and hides behind TeenWolf* tongue

-Mike

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
telephones, internet, telephones. they're important. the guy i'm kinda seeing now...he and i were together for a few years, and some of that was spent long distance (400 miles apart). now we're 800 miles apart, and rarely get to see each other at all. we talk every day, many times during the day when we can. and we sit online and play card games on yahoo or online pool. just so that we can spend time with each other. those little things are important when you can't see them every day.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Or, you could just steal her away in your van. God know's it's big enough. Did I mention your van is ungodly huge?

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Wow, look at the size of the van on that boy! ubbangel

-Mike

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
No Lightning, you have *no* idea. There's a ECHO in the van, it's that big. No joke.

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
du fehlst hier

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
All the better for... Right. Family board. ubbangel

-Mike

-TeenWolf-member
42 posts

Posted:
lmao, yeah... the van is pretty damn big, I set the speakers up the other day to fill it... that was a difficult task, but it echoed, and vibrated once I got the sub postitioned properly!

-Macbeth Act4 Scene1

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
Written by: There is no 'e' in 'Lightning'

And dub? Your avatar is scaring me. eek *runs and hides behind TeenWolf* tongue

scary? umm you mean you don't think he's cute? he's not dangerous anyway, he just likes chomping to da music... ubbangel

*chomp*

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
TW, I think that Bob Marley is good make-out music. Not too cheesy, but not too fast or hyper. Good rhythm. And it lends a nice, tropical feel to the whole thing. Just avoid "No woman no cry." biggrin

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dub, it's not that I don't think he's cute...I'm just afraid of what he might chomp! eek

tongue

-Mike

Page: