Pa-li-tchistranger
22 posts

Posted:
wov, I saw some Wu-Shu exhibition on video with single chain.......nice, cool......I have been inspirated......is anybody here who is trying this style with fire?

.:full power:.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I take it youre talking about rope dart type stuff? If so I know Durbs does a bit of this with fire.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Or, if you're talking about Chain Whip, I also do that smile

Was thinking about doing it with fire, it would like pretty cool - BUT my form involves several stances where the chain is resting for a while on your arm, so fire down the entire length wouldn't really be possible.

I was thinking of having some sort of one-handled skipping rope (or just long fire rope poi - same thing) and doing some chain whip form, but realised I wouldn't leave with much in the way of an arm smile

I do a bit of chain whip in my rope dart, but I think all the body wraps get hidden in the darkness if it's just the end on fire.

But skipping on your arse is definitely the way forward smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
i love the way the chain moves, and can stay seperated real easy. Everything about it is awsome, most of all the way moves cross over from staff and poi. U can do almost all moves form both styles, depending on the weight, thickness and type of links you use. Though swining a huge thick piece of long chain can be dangerous. eek

Id recomend rope with weights to beginners. Its not the same thing though.

Throws and 1 handed stuff are also in the mix, but i have no idea about contact moves. Durbs what length,links, and weight do u prefer. And do u cross over alot of contact stuff? Or does that require a heavy chain thats not effective enough? umm

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mine's 11-section medium weight, although as I'm short I hold 3 sections in my hand and make it a 9 section - if I ever get round to it I'll just cut 2 off smile

The light-weight one I found was uncontrollably light and I hurt myself more than I did when using the heavy one which is just scary wink

Don't do any contact stuff with it - mostly out of fear.

I'm working on a lot of the er "jumpy" moves; arse skipping, dives and the like, but it's slow progree with me at the moment...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude