GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
We want to do a body cast of a friend to use as a ships figurehead but cannot find good instructions on how to do it.
So far we heaps of petroleum jelly and gauze and plaster...

Can anyone help?? ubbidea

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Not entirely sure but would it be the same as most other castings? Something to go between the body and the plaster so you don't lose your skin, then plaster, then add lots of drying tie and patience, then cut it down the sides to get it off.

Have you asked your local hospital emergency dept? They'll probably have some great tips!

Good luck, don't forget to let us see the finished piccies! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

faery emBRONZE Member
fae
259 posts

Posted:
i had my torso plastered in the name of art once

i think one side we used vaseline and the other side cling film (glad wrap). can't really remember which was better, but the shower afterwards was pretty nasty both times. particularly trying to dissolve the plaster from my hairs.

it was all fun though, and the art teacher just let us go ahead with it, so i guess its not a problem really how you do it!?
EDITED_BY: faery em (1084874778)

warp children still smile the same

"when i left the mine i realised that the world was changing. or was it us who were changing?"

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Me show pictures.......suuuuureeeee.....

Good idea about emergency..I will give my freindly resident Dr a call..

Thanks guys hug hug

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
wor dof advice - shave as much hair off the areas to be cast as possible! only thing you leave is likely to have a significant amount pulled out as you take the cast off. for things like eyebrows that you want to keep, then glop on LOTS of PJ to those areas.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
Quote:

wor dof advice - shave as much hair off the areas to be cast as possible!

HeHeHe biggrin redface wink
Areas?
Ahem... ubblol

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i had my face plastered for an art project about ayear ago. i had to cover my face in vasaline, then put clingfilm over it and have it plastered. we used this material which i can never rememeber the name of. anyway its like cheese cloth dunked it plaster, then you just get it wet again and it goes soggy, and dries in like 2 mins.

Also you might want to research the artist antoney gormley (sp?) i did him as one of my influences for an art project. he did plaster casts of his body and stuff like that. For the final project i did an imitation cast of a body with no head and photographed him at the beach. smile

Aimz xxx
EDITED_BY: x_aimee_x (1084997847)

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
I did it with my hand once...and my aunt sliced my hand when she cut the cast off! So my advice-be reaaaaaaaaaaaly careful when ya take it off.

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I used to play with plaster in science class in elementary. We used it to make fossils and stuff.

I did see on the news many years ago of a woman who was doing a body cast of her torso for an art class. They forgot to put vaseline or cling wrap between her and the plaster. They had to call an ambulance and she was taken to the hospital. Good news is though...I don't think they will ever forget the vaseline next time ubblol

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, will give it a go today
fingers crossed
have bought LARGE tubs of petroleum jelly and will glad wrap any hairy bits that are being cast. biggrin

Is it the Truth?