Forums > Social Chat > split-time butterfly?!

Login/Join to Participate

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
okay, i use a lot of this trick in my stuff, and i thought everyone did, but it doesn't seem to be in the poi lessons thing. (Malcolm? should it be?)i'll try to describe it, does anyone else use it, and what tricks do you do with it?The basic split-time butterfly is exactly that. A normal butterfly in front of you, but when one poi is up - the other is down.The beauty of it is that its incredibly fluidic, and there are lots of options, and its relatively easy too!!!i love to turn in circles doing it - each time you turn (bout 90 deg. or so) they go from being forwards to backwards - AND you can just spin in a circle, constantly switching from forwards to back, switching your direction of turn, going over your head or behind your back. Okay, its not the most visually stunning trick in the world but its great for when youre in, that 'special place'. :Phope my description doesnt both suck, and blow. and i hope some of you try it if you havn't already.finally, a big fat apology if i've blatently missed this trick being described elsewhere. in which case... "move along please, theres nothing to see here... " grin

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Hey i use the split time butterfly loads in my performances. To the untrained eye it looks exactly like the thread the needle. I use it as a move to rest my muscles and catch my breath b4 I go off on a mad one again. I videoed it the other week using black light and commet poi & it looked like two dolphins leaping in and out of the sea. Trully beautiful. The thing is a lot of us are so busy trying to learn the advanced moves that we forget the simple moves and how wonderful they look. I am the worst culprit for this and often my boyfriend has to remind me how the simple things are just as effective as the complicated (he's only just beginning poi). One love Thistlefirepixie.

Are we nearly there yet?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Try this one--A split-time up-and-out butterfly. Alternate front low, back low, front high, back above the head (you really have to reach up and back) and then work your way backwards through those positions. One hand follows the other. Looks nice and sinuous.------------------Adam Rice :: www.fire-gear.com

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy