Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I just got done writing a big, huge paper on obesity (55 references!).

I wanted to share just one paragraph that I think falls among maybe the top 10 most interesting paragraphs I've ever written in my life.

Quote:

Other biologic factors have been implicated in the pathogenesis of obesity. One interesting hypothesis put forward by Dhurandhar et al postulates that the epidemic of obesity affecting Western nations may be infectious in nature. Four viruses are known to cause obesity in animals. One of these, adenovirus 36, has been shown to induce obesity when injected in chickens, mice, and monkeys. Antibodies to this virus are significantly more prevalent in obese human subjects than in lean patients.(24,25,26) If more evidence could be gathered in support of this controversial theory, it is conceivable that immunization against these agents could help prevent obesity in humans.

(24) Dhurandhar NV, Israel BA, Kolesar JM, et al. “Increased adiposity in animals due to a human virus.” Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000. 24:989-96.

(25) Dhurandhar NV, Kulkarni P, Ajinkya SM, et al. “Effect of adenovirus infection on adiposity in chicken.” Vet Microbiol 1992. 31:101-7.

(26) Dhurandhar NV, Kulkarni PR, Ajinkya SM, et al. “Association of adenovirus infection with human obesity.” Obes Res. 1997. 5:464-9

A "fat virus," eh? Controversial, hard-to-believe, and scary as hell. But those references I quoted are pretty damned convincing. eek

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

bubblishisFalse Eyelash
346 posts

Posted:
Way to lose the man boobs Dentrassi. And there's always room for more topless spinners. rolleyes

I'm not fat but the last few weeks...months?....I sure have been feeling like I am. It sucks. And nothing seems to help - diet, exercise..... It's a yucky way to feel. Poop.

All the freaky people make the beauty of the world.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

i used to be technically overweight, but ive recently got into an exercise habit, and have reduced my food intake to a third of what it was. im 21, and was eating the same as a 16 yr old still - now ive stopped growing [i hope!], i really didnt need to eat as much.
i now have muscle definition on my abs!! manboobs are no longer! yay for pecs!
im comfortable about spinning with my shirt off!!

anyway, ill stop feeling vain now....

Pictures? Pleeez? ubblove ubbangel biggrin ubbrollsmile

-Mike

carbon_blackmember
38 posts

Posted:
hahaha im afraid to spin without a top on. the whole man boobie tummy jiggle syndrom kicks in. i only do it for my girl freind. she likes my chubby bits lol. im slowly working it all off though. and id like to say spining for like 4 months has made my shoulders all beefy looking and muscley. so im happy. god bless the person who created poi.

Friday night is FIRE night...

Life ain't life without atleast cheating death atleast once a day.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
kissto lightning

oh behave! spank

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Blue light hunterGOLD Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
well me and my partner fall into both ends of the spectrum. i would be hard pressed to lose 10-15% body mass (which i should get off my a*se and do) as it would take forever but i spose it's a good idea, long term. my boyfriend eats like a trojan but dosn't gain weight. Now if there is a possibly bug for obesity (teamed in my case with just liking to be laid back) could he have something similar?? for his lack of weight gain?? eek I am a believer that vitimin c is a good cure for loads of stuff by the way if anyones got a cold or anything. It's just a case of getting enough of it down your throat.!! Maybe the doc's could give their opinion on this ?? beerchug

There are three rules about the monkey in the cage. The first is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage”. The second is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage!!!”
The third is not to feed him after midnight or ever get him wet......

Narr(*) (*) .. for the gnor ;)
2,568 posts

Posted:
in that last post by Blue..i am not goona comment on one of the sentences ... i'll end up lowering the tone even lower than lightnings desparate attempt at getting nuddie pics tongue

*runs off trying to contain giggles*

she who sees from up high smiles

Patrick badger king: *they better hope there's never a jihad on stupidity*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

kissto lightning

oh behave! spank

NO!!! I want eye candy, darnit! ubblol

-Mike

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Quote:

like a trojan...
(teamed in my case with just liking to be laid back)...
It's just a case of getting enough of it down your throat.!! Maybe the doc's could give their opinion on this ?? beerchug

Opinions Mike? tongue tongue tongue spank spank spank

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

I am a believer that vitimin c is a good cure for loads of stuff by the way if anyones got a cold or anything. It's just a case of getting enough of it down your throat.!! Maybe the doc's could give their opinion on this ?? beerchug

Well, the evidence for this is controversial, but I recommend vitamin C to my patients because it can't hurt. Unless they have a history of kidney stones. And I do warn patients taking high doses of Vitamin C to stay well hydrated.

-Mike

Blue light hunterGOLD Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
oh behave!!!!! You people! Well what started off as an innocent comment..... think i'll leave now... ubblol

There are three rules about the monkey in the cage. The first is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage”. The second is “we do not speak about the monkey in the cage!!!”
The third is not to feed him after midnight or ever get him wet......

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There is no such thing as an "innocent" comment on this board, Hunter...

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
i feel like some icecream.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi, the kind of ice cream that makes you obese or the kind that burns calories? tongue wink ubblol eek spank ubbangel

-Mike

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

There is no such thing as an "innocent" comment on this board, Hunter...

Quote:

i feel like some icecream.

surely that explains itself.... wink ubblol hug

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
There is a routers story about leptin levels during early years affecting the body in a long term way, and they even refer to the "set weight" mentioned earlier in this thread.

I seem to be one of these people with a set weight, no matter how much or little I eat, no matter how much or little I excercize. The weight seems to redistribute itself a bit depending on the conditions, but the overall weight stays just about the same.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
If you believe that you can't change something about yourself, then you will be proven right.

Belief is crucial.

Raph

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I like my weight, so I'll just keep on beleiving!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'm one of those people as well, and am rather happy that I've been the same weight (give or take 4 pounds) for the past 14 years.

I think it is also interesting to note that obese people (or even people with a small weight problem) view eating differently than someone in my position. They see it as a luxury to be able to eat 3 meals a day, and what they want at those meals. Some are even envious of people that can eat snacks without harm (gaining weight). Where as to me, eating is a chore. It is something that I must do, not that I have a choice to do. If I don't eat 3+ meals a day, then I will pass-out. I always have to think about my next meal, and where I will be when it becomes time for food. I also have to keep a ready supply of snacks on hand because I can't go the 4 hours between breakfast and lunch (or lunch and dinner) without something to keep away the hunger and the faint feelings. VERY ANNOYING!!!

ok, rant over, thanks for listening. Just thought I'd show that it isn't all peachy keen on the other side either. hug

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
Looks like medical schools in the states are finally starting to see that obesity needs to be addressed. Duke is setting up an obesity course

Page: