spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I'm looking for advice here.

I sold several tickets to a festival. Some of these tickets went to people out of town. I gave the people out of time extra time to send in a check since they were farther away. Well, one of these people sent me a check that bounced.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what to do about that person. The festival is sold out. There are many people who would like to have tickets to it, but don't. I have this one person who has reserved a ticket, but has been negligent in paying for it. I don't even think he knows the check has bounced yet. Just so you know the history, this guy has bounced checks to some of my friends before. This particular check in question was actually from his mother's account, not his, so I was expecting it to be ok. oops!

Should I give this guy another chance, or should I let him know that I will be selling the ticket to some other person?

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Give him a time limit to send you a money order. If he doesn't get it to you in that time, sell his ticket.

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i think you should sell it to someone else. if this was the first time he had bounced a check, it would be a different story. but since he has routinely done this to your other friends as well, i think his first chance was good enough.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
ya what spitfire sounds good too. did you get charged for his bounced check? if so, make sure he pays you back for that too. hmmm, ok now i'm on the fence on this one. i think i'd still go with selling the ticket to someone else who wants it. but a money order also gives you a sure bet too.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
I'm being...generous considering the circumstances.

The money order option is what I'd offer to most folks. I suspect I know the person in question, and would be have tempted to be a total #@$^# about it and say tough. Though, I could be way off base too.

The objective side of me, though, wins out...

I'd give him ten days to get a money order to you...so if you don't get a money order by the 29th, sell the ticket. That or perhaps go through pay pal.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
If I let him get a money order, it will definitely be for the ticket price plus the $5 my bank charged me. I just can't decide whether I should be nice or not. He supposedly got a new job last week, so he should techinically have the money now.

But, I also think it is lousy to send a check to someone you know and have that check bounce. Isn't it usually easier/nicer to let the person know before they cash it?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You can be nice and still be firm.

Tell him he's got 24 hours to get you the money. He screwed up by bouncing the check in the first place.

You shouldn't have to run around cashing his money orders. Tell him to overnight cash and be sure to put insurance plus the 5 bucks penalty on it.

He's already made your life inconvenient enough. It's not that tough to balance a checkbook.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SpitFireGOLD Member
2,723 posts

Posted:
NYC has an even better option, given the circumstances and past behavior.

spritieSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,014 posts

Posted:
I have resolution on this issue now. The person in question is overnighting me a money order for $45 more than he owes me for the ticket and the $5 the bank charged me for his bounced check. Thanks for the ideas there guys.

I told him he only had to pay me what he owes me, but he is determined to send me more anyway. I'm guessing he sees that as his punishment for bouncing a check in the first place.

So, now my question is how does someone learn not to bounce checks? Bouncing them obviously runs in this persons family as I know he has bounced several before and his mother bounced one to me as well. Will just giving the people you bounce checks to more money to compensate for their time and effort work? Is there something else that maybe they could do to learn not to? I get the impression that balanacing the checkbook isn't really the problem. He would write a check even if he knew he couldn't cover it.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Well speaking for my mom...This probably isn't this guys situation.

My mom would write checks in hopes that the money from paychecks would make it in the account before the check was cashed.

She knew she was taking a risk, but to keep our utilities from being turned off, especially in the summer and winter, she would write them a check. Either ask them to hold off on cashing/depositing it til a certain time when the money should be in our account. Sometimes the money was there, other times there wouldn't be enough. Therefore the checks would bounce.

Of course like I said this was for utilities and not for personal pleasure like a ticket. He should get his priorities straight before writing a check. Do I really need this to survive, or can I live without it?

I try and be nice to people in financial situations. I guess because I've been there. But you do have to realize some people out there will never get it in their heads.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Another thing that this guy may have to deal with in the future is that after awhile of writing "hot checks" people could turn whatever he owes over to a collection agency and if they don't recieve the money that court action may be taken.

My mom almost got in trouble with the law for writing so many "hot checks".

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Should I give this guy another chance, or should I let him know that I will be selling the ticket to some other person?

Nope. He's had plenty of chances.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura