NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
you really learn liquid just by watching videos? ???
i mean im getting videos... iguess i can learn but dunno i mean there is noone that can tell me if im doing right or wrong ;p

i mean there arent basic move or something like poi???!?!? thats what i need a guide or something! can you help ?

[ 13 April 2002, 15:55: Message edited by: NightShade1 ]

Dance like if noone were watching you

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Liquid hasn't been around as long as some other dance styles. Liquid has been traced back maybe only 20 years or so (whereas popping has been around for maybe 60 years), so there is no foundation of moves. There's this group called the Liquid Pop Collective who are trying to create a vocabulary and foundation for the dance. If you buy the vid you'll learn some phat stuff. So far the only ground work you can start from are

Flow
Rails
Contours
Builds
Splits

The only advice i can give a beginner is watch other people doing it, watch the videos then you'll understand the gist of it. Then you start making up your own flow.

I have like maybe 60 or 70 videos on people doing liquid, if you have a fast connection i'll send you some of the good ones.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Well to tell ya the truth i dont have a fast conn..
but it would help me a lot If you tol dme where to find vidoes of for example like on homeofpoi...

likea weave and a video of it or a butterfly and a video of it
i mean i dont know what the heck are flow rails contours... :/

hey other question how you learn this?
im really trying to learn all this dancing stuff... i have been really interested in these kind of tihng since i learn poi thing heheh

And no im not being lazy i have been really trying to find and find but idont get nothing i just get bunch of videos of ppl liquiding... i dont get the name of th moves or nothing

And well ihave been trying to watch and imitate what they do ... i kinda think im doing it but dunno ;p i don tthink thats the correct way to leanr.. im learning it like dunno maybe im not doing it right

[ 13 April 2002, 17:24: Message edited by: NightShade1 ]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Here's the trailer for the Liquid pop collective vid

https://www.lpclabs.com/images/lpc_trailer.zip

I TOTALLY recommend this video for anyone who wants to learn liquid.

This is the link for the first trailer for the vid
https://www.videos.houseofrave.com/LiquidPop(www.HouseOfRave.com).mpeg

As for liquid vids i recommend seeing

https://www.videos.houseofrave.com/EricLiquid(www.HouseOfRave.com).wmv

This is Eric of the Liquid Pop collective in an early video make sure you download this one. It's a shorter version of a bigger vid. If you like what you see, get icq and i'll send you over the bigger version.

https://www.videos.houseofrave.com/Liquid%20Raving(www.HouseOfRave.com).AVI

another one from Eric, make sure you download this one too.

https://www.videos.houseofrave.com/Liquid%20at%20club(www.HouseOfRave.com).mpg

Eric again, not as good as the first two but still worth a look.

those are the one's i recommend but there more advance stuff.

go to

https://www.houseofrave.com/index/videos.htm

and you'll find some beginner one's also

Hope that helps.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
well i would get in yer icq if you authorized me
i guess we will talk much faster these forum...
(edith)
i got most of those vid of house of rave i just miss the trailer one tho...(edith)
and ah yeah... as far i saw if i wanna learn well i gotta buy a video or something :/
oh man i hope its on kazza LOL i just got 4 bucks on my wallet....

and almost forgot THANKS FOR ALL YER HELP here and in poi when i needed i really apreciate it

[ 13 April 2002, 17:46: Message edited by: NightShade1 ]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
sorry - who's Edith?

I'm trying to learn liquid by watching videos/people and then (embarassingly) praticing infront of a mirror. Seems to be paying off a bit methinks.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
LOL durb im doing the same... =)
man its kinda werid you looking yerself in a mirror doinng thatlol....i hope to be good soon...i mean i havent saw ppl dancing that i will be the second one..i just have seen one... one time..

phunky how much tookyou to learn liquid?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
i'm at 8 months at liquid now and about 5 months popping.

I'm not going to tell everyone how good i think i am because unlike poi there are a million of dancer's that are better than you.

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
wow, interesting post... i'm also really intersted in popping and liquid, i just love the way it looks, it's incredible all the things you can make with your body just by practicing (is there ANYTHING you can't do???). but i also get frustrated very easily, i started with popping some months ago and still can't do anything right, could be because i don't practice enough.. i would love to do the glides well, they look SOOOO great!
durbs and nightshade: well, it seems that there are 3 of us looking really stupid in front of a mirror sometimes.... just hope no neighbour is watching (embarrasing...)
so, just wanted to share this..
peace
SaBBaS

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
we all start out that way. Just keep on practicing. I used to be pretty shy when i busted out my liquid and popping but now i'm not afraid to go in a middle of a cirlce and just dance.

Another thing that will excell your dancing is complements. Have you guys ever been high on compliments? lol. I went to this one party last week and about no less than 30 people came up to me that night and said they've never seen dancing like that before/ or that was the sickest dancing they've ever seen. I thought i was superman that night and i was sober So make sure you get out and practice infront of people too.

One of the reasons why i started spinning was because the attention it would attract (shitty reason i know). Dancing will get you more attention than fire spinning ever will, when your competant enough that is... and if you can do both well than it's that much better

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hey Nightshade, have you checked out Shaddup and Dance?

They used to have a lot of named move descriptions, videos and stuff. I haven't been to the site for ages, and unfortunately it appears to be mostly down at present (ie. the forum appears to be working), but bookmark it, as it's worth a look and should be fully functioning soon. Anyhow, check it out. Cheers

[ 14 April 2002, 12:19: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Also check out www.mrwiggleshiphop.net. The personal website of one of the worlds best poppers. There are some vids there, not liquid but if you wanna see what popping looks like then by all means check it out. Also, the forum has the biggest userbase of "O.G"'s of popping so if you ask a question (not liquid) they'll answer it quite well.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Actually an even better site with many move vids is

style2ouf

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
phunky is right...
i stop being shy of showing up what i know of poi... but after many ppl said i dance really cool and all the shit... i start like hey im good... and i dont care dancing in a big circle of persons =)
i even dont care acting i a show or nothing i just do it... and its fine... i just dance like noone were watching me =)

and umm phunky i tried style 2 page.. but the only video they got of liquid its the one you gave me!
sent me more that one was great man.. im wathing it over and over and trying to get the move in a mirror... omg thats sad... LOL icant bealive im doing that

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
hey durb and sabass get those videos of eric those that phunky said... he is fucking good as far i saw
i dont know too much of liquid but comparing those videos to others i got he totally ownz them :/

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
You won't find better liquid vids than of Eric.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hey, dumb question maybe but what should i play the videos with, they won't work on my computer! a friend of mine played one for me and it's wicked but... anything i use to play videos (realplayer, real one, windows media player) all says they can't handle the format....

help?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
It should work with windows media player. I think you might have to download a newer version.