Forums > Social Chat > poi makes you look cool

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
chuk_u_farliemember
9 posts

Posted:
poi makes us all look cool... especially the fire poi. this alone is a good enough reason to make poi mandatory in school education.

however, if everyone did poi would this then mean poi was not cool, cos surely part of the fun/cool is the fact that you can do something that someone else cant?

damn ive confused myself again... more headaches with pictures..... eek

think of the senoritas!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Nothing could make me cool..not even fire poi I am afraid....

..nerdy I can do.....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Nothing could make me cool..not even fire poi I am afraid....

..nerdy I can do.....

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol
I love nerds ubblove

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
depends what looking cool means.

poi spun badly makes no one look cool in my eyes.

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
thnx for beeing the only one making sense:)) g-d damn ppl flirtting lol
but where u popping with this idea of making poi mandatory in schools thats gay cus then itll be more than mainstream and it would have to be an essential skill which it is not so good luck with the undertaking of this: ubbrollsmile

it must be green

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
No, a beard like this makes you look cool.

Non-Https Image Link

chuk_u_farliemember
9 posts

Posted:
does something being mainstream make it less cool? only if not being in the mainstream is cool i spose....

but hell... everybody i know likes cheese and monkeys... thus they must be mainstream! yet as we all know cheese and minkeys are cool as hell (especially when combined with marmite.

p.s, all hail the beard.

think of the senoritas!

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
that beard is particularly tremendous.
people's definitions of 'cool' vary a lot.. i admit, but hate the fact, that it is not as cool as it used to be to listen to certain bands that i still like, just because they are all mainstream now and not underground and unheard of. there you go.
poi is plain cool and always will be though! ubblol everybody knows this!

ben - aren't you in new york?! what are you doing you nutter??? say hi to alix for me and spoon feed her marmite before you leave tongue

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

ugoAgogoBRONZE Member
112 posts

Posted:
thats a funky beard,
bet he has to wear a beard hat when he spins so he doesnt set his chin on fire, that would look cool

*imagins wat a beard hat would actually look like*

IF (and this is a BIG "if") poi were a school class lesson, it would probably be the best lesson ever. and the youngsters would learn nu newskool tricks which would make everyones brains brake open, then there would be the poi olympics, the highland poi, extreme poi.. . . . Argggghhhh it would turn it into telivised, t-shirt print mainstream madness

i dont like much but i like that umm

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. . . . . . . . . . . . . ZAP

pengwinoBRONZE Member
suitable for vegetarians
300 posts

Posted:
my friend works at a school in north carolina where they teach them circus skills! i've yet to find out if they teach poi though... eek ubblol

animals who are not penguins can only wish they were

chuk_u_farliemember
9 posts

Posted:
nortyh carolina is a strange place and as such by circus skills they probably mean cow juggling and tabacco chewing.

damn me im funny.

also, i would like to propose that beard growing become an olympic sport.

think of the senoritas!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Quote:

this idea of making poi mandatory in schools thats gay

really? i hadnt seen that link before confused

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

chuk_u_farliemember
9 posts

Posted:
only if they make you wear pink
and lovely ribbons in your hair
and if you prance merrily around the room
and if all of a sudden poi in school became synonymous with boy love. yes?

think of the senoritas!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Quote:

my friend works at a school in north carolina where they teach them circus skills!

theres a circus school in a town about 6 hours away from where i live, the flying fruit flies. when i was little i used to want to move there just so i could go to that school!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by chuk_u_farlie
only if they make you wear pink
and lovely ribbons in your hair
and if you prance merrily around the room

So that's where my school went wrong... *Smacks head...* ubblol tongue ubblol

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
When my friend was in [high or elementary] school, he got to take a class on contact juggling as a gym elective. That's pretty cool.

E pluribus unum, baby.

StebbinsBRONZE Member
10th degree spoon weilder
171 posts

Posted:
I make poi look cool baby cool

but ya i do get a rush when i see a crowd of people who are diggin my stuff... it's kinda funny too because i normally have this fear of being the center of attention.

-Beeaaatch please, I'm the macaroni with the cheese.
-This message will self destruct in 10 seconds.

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
Quote:

ubblol oh man. i think that would be unfair! because -most- chicks wouldnt be able to enter! eek

the idea of teaching poi in school isnt as silly as you think. i live in new zealand. part of our culter is maori, and thats where poi comes from. we can do maori culter in school and part of that is sometimes learning poi. tho its not really the kind of thing that we would do with fire poi and the like. alot of it is with short poi, and with that you do patters and rythoms, and hit your hands and your sholders and change dirctions and things like that. (any one form new zealand; would you agree with that?) but still. we can do poi in school. nah nah tongue

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
hmmm.... I wonder if I could convince a random dance teacher to let me spin poi as an independant study style class..... it would be better than taking some weird theatre class wink

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Picture this: You're spinning like you've never spun before. You have an audience who have never seen poi let alone fireballs whirling fast and furious. You feel so good that anything is possible, even that behind-the-back five beat buzzsaw and backflip combo...

...which goes horribly wrong and suddenly you're shrieking like a girl with your hair on fire.

cool.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I have done a few poi classes in schools and the kids love it.....they can all do it because its esay to do something..

the long ribbons make anything look pretty and the excercise make them all happy. I am expanding my resouces to take flags as well next time so that will be fun..

I take a horde of practice poi the first session then the next one they all make one each then go spin ......and now all the kids know me!!!!

And it great hearing what has happened to the poi after when the dog/cat/ferret eats them... and i still think there is a huge untapped market for teaching poi in schools and also for the elderly to encourage flexibility.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
we teach in most of the schools around edinburgh.... juggling, poi, staff, CJ, stiltwalking...and a smidgeon of devilstick and diabolo(would be more, but we're all pretty pants at these...)

and tour the highland schools with pretty much the same..

and approximately 20% of the kids say "Cool. [censored], let me on those stilts"
and about 10% say " yer nae gettin' me anywhere near those freaks"
and the rest are pretty indifferent

ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PheonnexxBRONZE Member
89 posts

Posted:
Poi in schools could be one of those small interesting groups in schools, and when i go to uni next year if there isnt a poi/fire poi spinning group around i am gonna start one.

At the mo i think i am the only one in the school (there could be sum i dont know that are around) that spin poi and its great satisfaction people watching me, although I have gained the reputation of being a 'circus freak'

Burn !

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
so to make a short mid thread summary, we have

poi should not be mainsteram, and that doing this would make you gay, as would being dressin in pink with oink ribbons in ur hair, and prancing around at school!

the guy in teh pic has one wickedly cool beird! and that it should be an olymic sport,

we also knwo that denrassi has teh best avatar *shakes hand at den...DAM YOU BOY!*

also we have a lil confusion, but im working on that to summise that to,

have i missed anythig?

Step (el-nombrie)

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Quote:

ubblol oh man. i think that would be unfair! because -most- chicks wouldnt be able to enter! eek

U AINT BEEN TO MY PART OF THE WORLD THEN!

some old grannies over my way with more facial hair than teh beirded lady at teh circus!

Step (el-nombrie)

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
I don't believe my friends think I'm any cooler than I am just because I swing fire. I don't feel any cooler cause I swing fire either. If people who don't know me think I'm cooler cause I swing fire then I don't pick up on it... confused

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

chuk_u_farliemember
9 posts

Posted:
i might be auwful shallow but i love the attention i get from spinning fire poi... but then again i am male and as such have a large ego to stroke / nurse...

furthermore, i also have a beard... but not as big the "olympic" beard we all saw earlier, so i ask you all: is there some sort of 'beard volume versus penis size' graph that would be worthwhile plotting?

think of the senoritas!

headspintotalmember
80 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Poi in schools could be one of those small interesting groups in schools, and when i go to uni next year if there isnt a poi/fire poi spinning group around i am gonna start one.

Come to Sussex Uni if only for the circus skills club. Maybe ill see you there! ubbloco

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
beard volume versus what about the penis??? volume? length?
Personally I don't think you could compare the olympic style beard we saw earlier much to a penis, as they don't curl in that way, though I'm sure many a female dreams that they do.

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
If by cool you mean hot, and by hot you mean from the fire, then I'd think that this backwards kid doesn't know the difference between a bumble bee and a penny, because that's what we used to call pennies back in the 70's, I used to go down to the shop with 17 bumble bee's and I was able to buy me fourteen dackadacks, dackadacks being suger lollies and still have enough to catch a ride home on the tack bang... Tack bangs weren't invited then which would explain why I had enough left over... and another thing what 's with all these kids now a days... with their pants, and their walking and their hooting... and.... *Falls asleep...*

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Deranged_Hedgehogmember
13 posts

Posted:
Errrm... confused

T]-[E DeR/-\NgEd ]-[eDgE]-[0G

Page: