MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm "home" safely. "Home" being Ann Arbor, which isn't really where the heart is (that's San Francisco), but whatever.

Just a general announcement for those who I saw in CA. Great to see you.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
MIKE!!! I didn't get to see you... hug hug hug
But welcome home biggrin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i've been wondering lots abut the definition of 'home' recently...

as in....

i've lived in lots and lots of places and some of them that i have called home definitely no longer are.
neither of my parents houses is "home"
and presently(well, when i get to edinburgh) i will be in a city i call 'home' but not a house i call 'home'.

what gives?

smileR

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
youre home-less............till you settle down and chose your home.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I wonder about this to. My parents have lived here for like 30 years, raised a family, been through a few career changes, made all kinds of friends etc.. but hey still don't consider it home.

Fire BunnySILVER Member
veteran
1,260 posts

Posted:
iv lived in this house my whole life. i still live at home. and altho this is where i consider my home to be, i spend most of my time away form it and perfer to be away form it, but then at the end of the day (or night or week or what ever!) its always good to come home again

ubbrollsmile

What if we think the jokes on them,
But really - the jokes on us....

and also... i wuv Rougie *snuz*

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I have a number of homes..my childhood home that I actaully moved out of nealrly 20 years ago but still go back to often..and have a bedroom there still with my stuff in....and here, where have lived for 12 years at least.
But I make wherever i live my home I guess. Its where my loved ones are....

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
My 5 years in Dublin has been my longest time anywhere. I call it home too though I''ve always rented. I'd also call neither of my parents houses home. frown

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
glad you made it back safe mike!

i'll be heading back to denver tomorrow. i call my apartment home cause i do love it and feel at home in it, but i don't call denver home. as opposed to vegas where the city is home to me, but i stay with my parents and their house isn't quite home for me. i can't wait to move back here.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
i spent years hating the house i live in cos its sort of city central but lately i've created a sanctuary and am grate ful for the shelter and space.I agree with gnor,wherever my heart is,thats my home,tum tee tummmm..... cool

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
"Home"... just the sound of the word can make you feel safe, warm, loved, and even welcomed. As a child, you would play games where "home" was safe and nobody could get you, and this way of thinking has and will always follow you in your life.

As a child my "home" was the house I grew up in, I never wondered about the difference between "home" and house, just what toys I had and/or wanted... As I grew I took my "home" for granted, it would always be there, it's my safety blanket.

But life, as most of you know, throws lemons, and sometimes right into your eye... and it really burns. I went from place to place, house to unit, unit to house sharing with one, to seven diferent people.

And I found one thing, onething which made all the difference, "Home" is what and where you make it... I could be living on the streets in a box... and to me... that's home... I could be living in a penthouse over looking the beach... and that could... and should... be my home...

Home, home is a feeling of safety... therefore, "home" is in you... if you feel safe... then your home... wave

peace

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

yannicusGOLD Member
169 posts

Posted:
arsn, those are wise words

i saw the name of the thread, and felt compelled to give my opinion. i never stayed in a country for more than 4 yrs, and that was when i was like 4 to 8, since then its been 1 or 2 year shifts. my dad works in humanitary, the family has been in the suitcase he dragged around ever since i was born, even before. its wierd, but home has a very ephemeral ring to my ears. Home used to be Bournemouth, UK, where we came back for holidays, but that stopped. then it was this little town in france, and that stopped.

I stopped trying to associate myself to a nation or place a long time ago. Roots are something i never comprehended, and thats probably because i have none, and i realize i dont want any.

I sort of have this longing for childhood friends, places that have been around as long as i can remember and that kind of stuff you see in sappy movies, but in the end home is not a place, its a mental construction. The more time you give it, the more solid it becomes.

now i'm not following my parents, home is here in paris where the studies are, and i visit the parents during the holidays. its wierd, but i dont feel in the least at home, i got my routine, my short term and long term friends, my pad and my habits; but home is what i make it, i can make it in a hotel, or a rented house, on demand.

its sad in a way, but rewarding in another.

they say nomadic children stay nomads when they grow up, i have no doubt about that.

-Believing that all has been said and done is like mistaking the horizon for the limits of the world. Voltaire.
-Plus je connais hommes, plus j'aime mon chien. Pascal.

1,903 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originally posted by yannicus
arsn, those are wise words

ubblol There ya go Lightning my one and only "non-silly" post of the year, and it's in a thread you started.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm SO honored, Arsn.

*drills you with a snowball*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
was that that new thing sarcasam? ubblol

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

1,903 posts

Posted:
Replies to Lightning with another barreling of golden snowballs, HA! you mid-western boys no nothing of the ways of us dirty cheating Aussie fighters... tongue ubblol

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I don't think I have a home. Never have, though my parents are together and I lived in the same house most of my life, and it was good. I call it home, but I don't really mean it.

I tend towards the Stephen King line on this subject: "All places are the same, except maybe home, and I'll know what that's like when I get there."

E pluribus unum, baby.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
After 14 years away from Australia I'm looking at moving back to be near to my family. The thought of it is kind of freaking me out a bit as they've moved from the Gold Coast where I grew up to the Central Coast and neither is my home any more, that's here, 12000 miles away.

But I know that if I don't at least give it a go then I'll end up regretting it. I've got to figure that home is where you make it, where you feel secure.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm so glad i have roots. it's a warm feeling.

it's funny cause ever since i knew i was going to be coming to denver for my internship, everyone told me i was gonna love it here and i won't want to move back to vegas. but i always knew home was vegas for me and as much as i might enjoy it here, i'd still go back. vegas is in my blood, i know every inch of it, every personality like the back of my hand. despite its ever fluctuating population and construction, the city has a life to it that remains constant, and i love it. i've always been a family person, and by family i include friends as well. and while i love making new friends, there's also something comforting in being around people who know my history and understand my roots. i just got back from going home for vacation and it was hectic and wonderful and tiring and uplifting. i had 14 days to see dozens of friends who were all vying to spend time with me. i love that. i love knowing that i am part of a community and will always be welcomed back. i love that i had people miss me and be interested in my life and that were sad to see me go again. i love knowing that i'm important to my friends, just as they are important to me. and it seems that no matter where i move, and how ever long i stay there, i can't seem to recreate that in the same way. it's a different culture and usually one that doesn't seem to understand my need to be active and enjoy the nightlife and the diversity in the same way as my vegas family does.

i know its different for everyone, and there is a very tiny part of me that wishes i could make "home" wherever i am, but in the end i wouldn't trade it for the world. and i wouldn't expect to change anyone else's point of view either. i think that's why i get frustrated when people tell me i'll change my mind and won't want to go back to vegas.

eh, i'm rambling again. i think i'm just overly emotional about having to leave vegas again. i always get horribly depressed immediately after a visit.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**