Forums > Social Chat > What do you shy away from?

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
"I'm sure everyone has groups of moves they tend to shy away from, and some favourites. Let's just say wraps aren't one of my favourites - I still like 'em though in the right time and place." Jo Derry said this in the COL2-What's the Verdict? thread, then he apologized for going off topic (no probs Jo wink). I thought it would be an interesting topic.Are there groups of moves you shy away from and why?Mine are complex behind the back things. They take more work and bruises than they are worth in the audience eyes, since most look the same and are not as spectacular to the laymen as they are to the techies. Because of this only learning the basics seems worth it to me as a performer (and learning them still beats me up! wink).------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

digital milkmember
37 posts

Posted:
i stay away from BTB stuff completly, the closest i get would be stuff like the mexican wave and a overhead butterfly.. and those arent really even BTB things..

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If I'm performing, I tend to shy away from anything that I think is going to make me look like a fool, or that might make me a danger to the crowd, i.e.: any move that I don't feel dead confidant with. My first performance I attemted a shoulder wrap that I was pretty sketchy on, and I almost nailed a spectator in the face when my staff went flying. I felt really bad, but every one was O.K.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
All in all I shy away from the neck wraps and trying to do the leg wraps around both legs at the same time. I tryed to do a wrap with both hands on seperate legs and I ended up having welts on my back because my strings were too long. ( this is with glowsticks of course) being as though i only spun fire once, i only did the moves i was comfortable with.
Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
Monkeybutt!!------------------"come with me to a land of fantasy, take my hand down into techno wonderland"

Its not easy being green....

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Erm, wraps. There's a theme developing here isn't there?Although, like Mr Puppy, I'm talking staff not poi.That said, I nearly nailed a cool shoulder wrap thingy tonight shortly before frostbite set in...

Meh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
(With fire) I only do btb 5 beat weaves occasianally, but always shin bash, never face bash. I NEVER do btb 5 beat 360 weaves with fire either. Regulare btb weaves and lower fountains are nothing to me, I normally end up doing them a lot.with glowsticks and zuni, you name it I'll try it.

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

adrian vmember
5 posts

Posted:
(with fire) you name it ill try it smilebut im a lil crazy when it comes to fire.the only stuff i rely shy from is majour BTB stuff. one, cos i dont think it looks too muc better for a much grater dificulty rateing, and two, and most importantly, my style of firedanceing is such that im always moveing, spinning, fliping, rolling and running. its verry fluent and twirly so theres not a lot of room with BTB stuff (this is all with poi mind you, i dont shy from anything with sticks, flame or no) in the way that i move...()()(*.*)(____)*

Jezaddict
642 posts

Posted:
I only try moves with fire after about a month of using it in non fire routines. In this way when I do it with fire I do not think about it as being harder I just think of it as a normal routine move. Although I still get a little nervous while doing tricks lying down even though I can do them perfectly well. I think it is because if I fluff it then there is no escape from the burning wicks!However these moves are still incorporated into any routines I do. I just get nervous when doing them.

'Happiness is liking peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.'

'If *I* had a hammer, there'd be no more folk singers.'

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
At the moment, anything involving poi... shocked shocked shocked shocked------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 30 December 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
ick, BTB weaves, not ecspecially good looking for the amount of effort and pain required, actually like BTB butterfly though, it works well if youre just doing a series of butterfly moves which i usually do in the beginning...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I'm right there with Charles on this one.Poi is the enemy wink------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Actually I've been shying away from even learning BTB stuff because the "cost-benefit" analysis isn't that great. I don't think that LOTS of BTB stuff or 5 beats look all that cool to spectators.As for wraps, I'm addicted. smile And I've still got 56+ left to learn.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
BTB Weave is not for me - though only cos I'm incapable of pulling it off without self inflicted severe head injuries!!Don't 'shy away' from much else but there is so much I haven't even tried or thought of trying - how I wish there was another spinner near me frown I am tired of spinning alone!

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I shy away from staff, it's the work of the devil.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Funny, The Devil must like me then. tongue------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
The devil loves me. I have 5 staffs.

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I have 9 staffs at the moment, although only 4 are in working condition. I really should rip th ewick of the others and make some hybrids.Oh yeah, and two sets of rarely used nasty biting poi...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?