Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
But my mom won't let me buy one, so I searched around for how to make one. I got a page, asked if I could go out and buy the materials, I listed everything down till the Kevlar Wick and she said no right away like she was waiting for me to say it.I tried it with a walking stick, that's like almost up to my neck and bent, and she won't even let me get near a Home Depot to buy aluminum piping.Any ideas on how to get her to let me even /make/ a staff? (I'm saving up for the short staff with tails on the end (and that has wicks, doesn't mean I have to light em') or the ElectroGlo staff) I've already used the hand-eye corrodination and she said "What'll that help you with? And is that more important than your education?"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I butchered some garden tools to get aluminium for my fire staffs. A hoe and a rake gave up their lives for my art. But they hadn't been used in a very long time. When it comes to gardening my dad is very good at delegation.....You can buy a broom handle for very little cost.Don't pester your mom. It'll only serve to wind her up and harden her resolve.Thanx for the email by the way. I tried several times to reply to it but the pc crashed everytime. So I gave up.

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Kinuden, I hate to tell you this but Home Depot doesn't carry aluminum pipe. At least the ones here don't, and believe me, I looked. But copper works just as well.As for your mom, you may want to bring up the fact that staff is great exercise, keeping your body healthier and giving you more energy, something that will help you pay attention in school. Staff also teaches your brain new skills, forcing it to think in ways that it otherwise would not. This opens a door in your brain making it much easyer for you to learn a multitude of other new skills, like, I dunno, maybe patient diagnosis in medical school (that should make your mom happy). If she ever complains that you're watching too much television, then say "Gee, mother, I would be out if the sunshine and fresh air getting exercise and having fun, but you wouldn't let me get a staff, so I guess I'll just sit here in front of the TV getting fat, lazy and stupid." That worked with my mom when I was 14 and wanted a skate board smile------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Tlightmember
189 posts

Posted:
How about using a broom to start off with. Just take off the brush bit and away you go. Plus your mom will be more keen to get you a staff if you start using her broom grin

I hope you realize how pissed I am.

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
I use a 5 foot broom handle and it suits me well. Since starting all this circus malarkey my shoulders have increase rather alarmingly in size. The rest of me is dead skinny but I have the shoulders of a god. That is a good reason for doing staff isn't it. OOH! Just had a thought. Buy a broom! That's it. Take the head off for some covert staffing and put it back to fool her. (Iknow, Mum's don't fool that easily) Doh!RADISKULL GETTING PUMPED. SMOOTH AND DEADLY!!

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
My mum wouldn't let me get any tattoos while she was alive. So I waited til she'd been dead for 8 months before I dared get one. True story. Slightly sick/twisted/morbid. But true none the less. Doesn't really help does it?*wanders off before another teenager shouts at him for drifting off topic*

Meh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Parents usually have their own agenda. I've known too many kids that were spawned from over bearing parents, and were completly fucked up as a result. I hope this isn't the case with you, Kinuden. I hope it is just a case of your mom being concerned for your safety, in wich case it's just a matter of proving to your mom that a kero fire isn't as dangerous as most people think. I hope you get it worked out.Sorry, everyone. I've had a bit of lager tonight and I'm feeling a bit chatty.

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
Kinudin,Does your mom have any other reasons for you not making a staff other than your education? How are your grades? Maybe she thinks you'll become obsessed with your new toy and not get any school work done. That's how I was when I found something more fun to do. If it's an issue about your grades, you could try to set up some kind of reward system where if you raise your grades you get a staff out of the deal. Then everyones happy.As for the aluminum pipe at Home Depot, check the electrical section. The copper pipe I tried just bent too damn easily and ended up going off to the recycling center.

1,325 posts

Posted:
Broom stick... *ponders* that sounds really easy... and my dad was suggesting that too. About that aluminum pipe thingy, Home Depot is ghetto and doesn't have any =/ Lot of copper long 12 feet poles though and steel... lots of steel (*spin CRACK concussion*)My mom considers asking twice about the whole staff thing pestering so she's in her room sulking about it now.Cantus - My mom's uhhh, very picky about her gardening tools (just found out how to prune roses correctly) so, I'll take your idea of a brom handleSickPpy - Yea, I found ou tthey don't sell aluminum... but I like your suggestion to the sitting on the couch thingyTlight - I can live with dat winkTheGrynygogg - Even more insentive to get wit the flow!Cantus - in a weird way, that does connect wit the subject (You had to wait for something to happen before you could do something else)SickpuPpy - Not overburdening, just strict and more geared toward education than anything else.LLcoolPat - In my mind I don't think I'll get obsessed enough to forget any /more/ school work. New Years resolution was to get at least a 3.8 (not 4.0 because two of my teachers don't like me much). But your little reward system thing is a good idea... I'm saving $4 a week to buy the Electroglo staff (my mom approves more of that than the fire one even tho I don't have to light up).I'm gonna stop taking this much and go do my science project. Thanks everyone for your help!

LLcoolPatmember
38 posts

Posted:
I could have sworn I saw aluminum pipe at Home Depot. I know for sure they have it at Lowes in Mission Valley though.

Mikemember
9 posts

Posted:
If you use a broom handle, it is always good to add some weight to the end for momentum.

1,325 posts

Posted:
Lowe's mission valley eh? That sounds good... where could I buy kevlar wicks at?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
buy kevlar wicking from this site.... I'm not sure about real life vendors though, as I've always bought my wicking from the internet.https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop2/showcat.asp?cat=2000&path=2000

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
have you ever thought of PVC pipe? It wouldnt hurt too much when you get hit with it.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I may check Lowe's. I haven't really looked there as it is far away and Home Depot is close. If you use copper you have to make shure that the ends are sealed some how. It's an air pressure thing and makes the staff much harder to bend or dent from an impact. As for PVC, I am scared to death of useing that for fire. For the benifit of those who've never been burned by melted plastic, let me tell you that is one of the most horrible ways to be burned, and the plastic stays on you untill the doctors can take it off. Of course it just occured to me that Scoot may have been suggesting this strictly for non fire practice, in which case will work fine. Personally I prefer to practice with heavier stuff than my staff, I have a large section of galvinized pipe that I use most of the time for practice. I think it weighs about ten pounds.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Interesting. I just went to home depot last week to get staff materials. I asked if they had aluminum poles and they said no, and then proceded to tell me to look at this other option...they brought me to aluminum poles, I think they were 12 feet in length. Anyways they were under electrical so check there...good luck and hope you can do staff soon...Chris

Defy Gravity!

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
My broom handle doesn't have any weights on it at all. Just a plain ol' handle. I have thought about putting wick on it though. Just to silence it a bit when it goes flying off to clatter about on the patio at 12.00 pm. My neighbours love me.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Could be worse could be 12am tongueYeah the clatter sucks, my new staffs both have padding used to make cushions wrapped up in tape on the ends. (You can buy this stuff in craft or fabric shops - same stuff schools staple to sets for fake snow in plays)

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
Err, Yeah.... That's what I meant. The thing is that it is more like 1.00 am. Duck tape and padding'll do it. I might do it now. Or maybe not. Who knows?

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I would love to start staff too but it looks much harder than poi and I really wouldn't have a clue! I admire all you who do it though grin

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Fezzamember
13 posts

Posted:
No way. i started on staff not 6 months ago ago and i have picked it up really easily as opposed to pois.i mean i dont do poi regularly but if you think staff is going to be harder to pick up than pois i think you're wrong. It might be just me but a staff is easier than poi and if you already have the coordination from pois then you should be top shit at a staff within months......my two-cents

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I wouldnt mind learning some new staff trix.. I practice with a jo and bo, but have seen loads of stuff done with what is essentially the same thing; that Ive never tried.(Cantus my man.. I am ready smile )Like you Fezza, I find staff tricks easier to learn on the whole. For a start, youve only got one thing to control instead of two ! Not only that.. being rigid, you tend to know where the bugger is most of the time.. poi's can bounce and go all floppy on you and go off in directions all of thier own.Give it a go Ros, it aint that bad smile------------------Kato

Kato

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Yeah Baby......I'm gonna get me some serious staffing goin on! Wahoo! umm.....now i just have to get a staff........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
does anyone else notice that Kinudin's topic of conversation keeps going back to kevlar wicking? even though he insists he wouldn't light it..maybe this is why your mom is anti-staff?

1,325 posts

Posted:
My mom isn't anti-staff at all, she just wants me to et better with the staff before I light it which I totally 100% agree with. Having the wicking would just be an added coolness factor.My birthday is coming up in a few days, so I hope to get a staff from them, or use birthday money (Which my friends always seem to give each other because well, we can and it's like gift certificates (they're you're friend!) wink) and I'm getting aroudn $30 tommorrow so that goes into the staff savings account.

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
Kinudin, Use a broomstick with a glowstick taped to each end and show your mum how good you are. She'll be impressed and let you play with fire... hopefully. As for what it'll help you with say "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy." or "broadening your artistic horizons". On the downside she's likely to get annoyed with the kero in your clothes and mke you wash your own clothes. Hope that helps. ------------------A wise man once said to me, "Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe!" and in a way I guess he was right.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

1,325 posts

Posted:
On the upside of that Phuz, I already do my own clothes =)

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
What would you like to learn Kato? You're wrong about one thing though. They can go off in strange directions of their own. Usually hurtling at 300 mph towards my bloody piercings (rendering them bloodied piercings) - thus spake the voice of bitter experience, blood fresh on his brow......*wanders off muttering about plummeting glowstaffs*------------------C@ntusThere's only one way of life and that's your own.

Meh

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Ok.. I stand corrected. winkAs for what to learn... I'll leave it up you matey. Lets have a good bash and see what you think Im capable of.ps: the only piercing Ive got is on my tongue, which I do have a habit of sticking out when Im concentrating... ...and I dread to think what kind of mess it would end up in if I twatted it with a staff..!!YYYYYYEEEEOOOOOWWWW !!!!!------------------Kato

Kato

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
C@ntus (my dear dear friend *evil glint in my eye*).My staffs don't go off in unexpected directions at all. I've let them go so many times I've seen (and felt) all the directions and crazy stuff they can do, so now i just expect it.As for staff being easier than poi, everyone is different, although I feel staff is easier to learnt han poi, but much much harder to make it look good.Some of the comments about just do the weave really really fast spring to mind.Because of the rigidity (absence of strings) it's much harder to make a staff look fluid.And for me at least, speed just comes with time, whereas with poi, you can do moves super fast very quickly (you just end up cracking your skull open).This is all my honest opnion of course, i'm sure someone else will disagree.. grin grin grin grin ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?