Caislinmember
7 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have any tips on learning the weave. I've only been poi-ing for a short while, and should keep on practasing at it, but does anyone have any pointers?

Any tips would be greatfully recieved.

The real voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. - - - - Marcel Proust - -

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
if it be too hard learning ANY poi move at once..... don't!
learn it slow, so it's easier to handle.
learn it with ony one poi at a time for each side.

also, the easiest way to learn, afaik, is to mimic someone who knows the move well and is willing to spot exactly where you may be faltering. beats the guesswork and saves sooo much time!!

alway remember that when you 'screw up' learning a move, so long as you make it look good, you've invented something! like dehydrated water!
mmm ima thirsty now.....

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Caislinmember
7 posts

Posted:
I'm an inventor who can't follow instructions I guess. Well I seem to of invented some weird arse trick of managing to hit myself in the face often while strangeling the poi round my neck.

I suppose there is always hope!
Thanks for the response, I'll take it slower, I've found with the few basic tricks I've done that at some point it just clicks and becomes a whole lot easier.

The real voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. - - - - Marcel Proust - -

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I found that you should try not to be afraid of the poi hitting you. If you act afraid you dont have as much control and end up hitting yourself more.

Good Luck

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

AchluophobiaBRONZE Member
Magical Sock Dancer
255 posts

Posted:
I found the animations on www.firechains.com too be of a lot of help when I learned the weave.

Brimstonemember
1 post

Posted:
I agree with trying to not be afraid. Something I picked up very quickly during weapons training was that the second I worried or was afraid of whatever weapon I was using hitting me, I got whacked. Once I relaxed, and stopped worrying about hurting myself, it all got much, MUCH simpler to handle.

AlfredSILVER Member
Altyd Brandend
149 posts

Posted:
sometimes when i wanna do a trick and i have difficulty learning it slow and with one poi.esp after i wacked myself a few time...i just use the ok-damnit-i-am-gonna-do-this method.This means that i swing it like crazy and really unneat and i whack myself some more,but suddenly i will just get the beat of the move and then i have it...and a few new bruises.

Spinning makes my world go round

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Don't worry about the bruises... It will hurt for about a week but when you whack yourself the 1547852th time you'll see that it doesn't hurt at all... Pain just belongs to the art...

Umm and the tip on the weave... Do the crossover, then a split-time crossover. Your hands will cross on one side then uncross on the other. On the side where the poi cross just wait a while longer then bring over to the other side and voila... A weave : o )

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.