_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hi all.. haven't started a thread for ages so please be nice..

I've been working on really tightening up my moves, I see poi as a flowing energy thingie and always try to incorporte Thai dancing into my moves - alot ot Thai dancing envolves movements from the wrist (which fits in nicely to poi)and elongation of fingers and feet, and some of the time moves where the insides of your wrist are touching all the time.. beautiful if done correctly - now I haven't been to a Thai dancing class since I was about 8 - I got threwn out of ballet for having the grace of an elephant..

anyway - so I hope I'm doing it right... but what I'm trying to do is Thaifire dancing.. ok so what I'm working on are weave moves with wrists touching all the time.. I can do 3 and 5 beat in front forward weaves and 3 reverse weaves.. the reverse weave is really hard.

I'm finding that the poi flow compleatly differently on the reverse weave... it's really nice (well I like it anyway)

Has anyone else tried to do this wrist touching all the time stuff?

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hey MisStix

I can do forwards weave with wrist touching and get a nice smooth flow going, but reverse weave (manic laughter due to insanity this'simple' move has created in me). Mmmm. I'd love to see a reverse weave so fluid that the wrists were touching?? video footage very welcome

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I occasionally try to spin as much as I can with my wrists touching, I can do the 3 and 5 beat weave forwards, but only the 3 beat backwards (although I can't do the backwards 5 beat anyway).
I've kind of got the windmill sorted too, but that's less fluid, it's good enough to let me move around with a bit of variation though.

Obviously the butterfly's done with wrists together anyway, but I'm trying to find a way to switch between butterfly and weave smoothly keeping my wrists together.
It's really, really difficult - I havn't really got anything that works well at the moment, wrap stops are really jerky and stops are really difficult without moving your hands much.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
The five beat is much easier with wrists together.

In fact, should really be done with wrists together.

I'd recommend working on the reverse 5bt, as 5bt lower fountains are nice moves to do. 5 beat fountains, with a 4bt windmill at the top, are also pretty good too.

Just practice with some poi that go really slowly and are really heavy first. They don't need much to keep them going, and you'll get over the fear of being hit in the face soon enough.

Anyway, back on topic, fwd and rvs 5 bt, windmill, buttefly, probably more can all easily be done with wrists together. Not sure about btb stuff though...

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Butterfly to weave...

Try going butterfly, low turn, weave

or if you can manage it,

butterfly, 2bt reverse weave, rvs weave.

similar for reverse butterfly.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
How would I go about changing the direction of one of the poi without moving my wrists apart though?
Other than wrap stops, stops and just pulling the poi out of plane (which I really don't like doing), what other ways can I change the direction?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hey check out the jedi thread i just posted one of the ways to go from bfly to weave with wrists together. i do indian/belly dance and liquid style so i like to dance with my wrists together too .can't wait to see your style, miss stix!
oh about the reverse weave with hands together...the key is in that last part where you wrap your hand around your wrist, just like in the forward 5 bt... for instance, for the last beat on the left side, your right fingertips should be popping out of the bottom right hand side of your left wrist.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Jo derry once taught me a fantastic move:

so if your starting from butterfies with your wrists together and you want to go in to a weave, dont go else where... look at whats easier first.
you can take a forwards butterfly from behind the head straight into a 4 beat corkscrew, i saw 4 beat becauseyou can do that with your wrists touching rather than the regualr 2 beat, what ever try em both it dont matter.
Then you can easilly alter the angle of the poi to flow out of the corkscrew into the weaves.

that butterfly swop to corkscrew is just altering the angle of the right wrist as its coming back over your head, you should from that come out doing an anticlockwise corkscrew.

happy playing.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
BTB reverse 3 beat weave if you can get it real slow and fluent can be done with a real nice feeing with your wrists rolling together with it.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
wow.. I think I have quite a lot to learn.. a good and bad thing... I need to get out more and meet up with people to learn this stuff - there is only so far I can go on my own in my back garden.. I wish I had a video camera so I could look at myself sometimes.. hopefully Santa will be nice to me?

I also need an idiot guide to beats and names.. never understand the written explainantions of the moves - I'm a visual learner.. but hey.. I'll be getting out more next year... so watch this space!
Happy Friday all!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Nothing wrong with gardens misstix, when you are out there try and find a window that reflects

But, hey, that is a fantastic move that PK suggested There really is so much you can do if you think about it.

It's reassuring to find I'm not the only one to find the 5-beat reverse weave a real bitch. I'm not sure wot you guys mean by rolling the wrists, but as far as tightening them up, I'm trying to do these weaves on the back of my wrists, like glue. Holding an X shape.

So there is this is a "old club swinger" move I've been practicing with. Just pretend that poi are stiff or use a wooden spoon or something, and try it in wall plane first.

For a reverse weave on the right hand side.

To start, just let your right arm hang down, kinda in line with the front of your leg. Bring your left hand over to the right side, and take it in between your right hand and leg. Twist your left hand around in front of you right hand, and get in a beat with your left hand. Then go behind the waist and continue. Think they are called twisters.

Hope that makes sense

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh