whYte Meculemember
9 posts

Posted:
ok i dont know how much help this is but i've heard that if you saok a corner of a towel in water and then dribbles some alcahol on then light it up it will be in perfect condition when you put it out.
I know your not sopposed to use alcahol for a fuel but maybe it could be mixed with something.... or maybe if you soaked it in water, then used a bit of alcahol then your regular fuel...
it could prolong the life of your wickes, or not.
anyway it might be worht experimenting with it.

[ 30 October 2002, 21:05: Message edited by: whYte Mecule ]

Your Pale Friend, whYte Mecule

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
is this kinda like the everlasting gobstopper?

From the makers of soylent green.

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
I'd imagine it's just the fuel burning off while the water keeps the towel from burning. The burn time wouldn't be very long on something like that.

*edit* Let me rephrase that. I know only the fuel burns on kevlar wicks (to a certain degree) if you put them out early and you will still get a decent burn time but the water would mess up the burning as well I would think.

[ 08 November 2002, 13:09: Message edited by: NickC ]

Cherylmember
29 posts

Posted:
I was told by my fire dancing teacher that if you re-soak your wicks in fuel after using them and before putting them away, that you will prolong the life of the wicks. I have had my first set of wicks for almost a year and a half now and they look almost new (I am totally anal about re-soaking them after use)! Other people's wicks who I know are newer than mine are much more trashed, and they don't re-soak.

Anyway, just a tip that I thought I would pass along.

-Cheryl

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I am religious about soaking my wicks after each burn and they are three years + old now and still going strong

Are we nearly there yet?

tjoniBRONZE Member
116 posts

Posted:
The kevlar itself starts burning when your flame has gone out and it's left to smoulder. redipping immediately definatley stops this, but if you don't want the smell of fuel getting into everything you own, after your last spin, use a moist cloth to stop the smouldering.
Also, when practising without flame, put socks over your wicks, as dropping your staff will wear away at the wicks too ( especially if practising on conctrete and other hard surfaces)

I'm out of my mind...but you can leave a message

If you remain calm while all around you is collapsing...possibly you are missing something

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
quote:
but if you don't want the smell of fuel getting into everything you own, after your last spin, use a moist cloth to stop the smouldering.
another option: if you can, use or make some detachable heads. that way you can resoak them after your last spin as per the usual...then just take off the chains and store the heads in your fuel tin. no smell, no smoulder, and everything all in one tidy package.

Locoflymember
62 posts

Posted:
quote:
then just take off the chains and store the heads in your fuel tin. no smell, no smoulder, and everything all in one tidy package.
i use a small cooler. you know like a flip top type deal. i keep a 2 litre soda bottle(top cut off) on one side, fire towel wrapped up next to it, and poi on top draped into the bottle. keeps the smell in pretty well. and i use citronella. it reeks. i wish i could store fuel in there but the coolers too small.

From the makers of soylent green.