Forums > Technical Discussion > sparkly poi question that hasn't been asked!

Login/Join to Participate

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I think...err, i've read that you guys soaked you're sparkly poi in kero. I've never actually tried to make sparkly poi. If you were to soak it in methanol and boric acid would the sparks be green?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

SabineGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Hi Phunky,the flame would be green but the sparks would still be white. The colour is a result of the electrons in the metal (steel, aluminium or boron) getting excited (and who can blame them if you're spinning poi?) and moving to different levels. When they drop back down, they lose energy which we see as a colour. Different metals produce different colours - sodium gives yellow, strontium gives red, copper gives a green or blue (temperature dependant)... Boron gives green and steel gives white. I hope this helps.Sabine

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
isn't there pads made with copper? Or other types of metal other then just steel?

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Be still my beating heart... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
(oh darn, she spells color with a "u", she must not be a local)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
:: pouts::[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 08 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ROTFL smileJosh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I always thought steel was an alloy?Josh

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon (plus other trace elements) but iron still give white light and the carbon doesn't affect this colouration.------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Flash,You're incorrigible! smile

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey flash, I asked you to homecoming and you didn't even respond. frown Now I gotta take my ex who's recently decided she's in love with me again. Ug. Why do I always pick the ones that make me crazy? Tragic flaw I guess.Yes, steel is an alloy, that is a mixture of two or more elements. Well done lad.Phunky, I'm not sure it will work well (please let us know) as we've discussed before, colored flames are usually masked by brighter flames. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only a very little bit of green (almost unnoticable) masked behind the blinding white. That is, it won't turn the white to green, it will just add a dim green behind the white which will probably not show much. That's my guess...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
OMG - you asked me!!! I must have been tranced out at the time... soooo sorry smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Sorry NYC, Flash is already spoken for *puffs out chest and struts round*hehehehehehehe------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
My bad Frenzie. You gotta keep your girlie in check though, she seems to have wandering eyes... wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
HeheheheheheheI dont think anyone could keep Flash in check *grin*, but maybe thats why we love her :P------------------ - Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -https://wickeffect.cjb.net

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -