Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What attracted you to doing these things?Some friends I hadn't seen in years came by last night and we got to talking...I mentioned "The Enigma" and wondered when he figured out he could swallow a bicycle (disassmebled of course)? So one of them looked at me and asked, "When did you figure out you could eat fire and play with fire and not get toasted? oh and WhY??"I realised it a long time ago, I acted on it not that long ago. What attracted me to all of this, fire poi and staff and such beyond the eating (where I started) is that I wanted to create a fiery and well rounded Ren show. I got into it with the express idea to perform and make a career out of it. I realised all of the "other" benefits once my addiction kicked in.So, when did you realise you could "do that too" and why did you get into this "madness"? grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
Hee hee... John, our troupe founder, went to elementary/middle/high school with The Enigma. Must be something in the water up here... all the freaks that have emerged from this area. Hee hee...I got into fire performance after seeing someone do chains at Burning Man... knew I could learn it, found a great teacher... etc, etc.It was very inspiring - the combination of beauty and grace with the dangerous element of fire. Haven't looked back since...CharlyThe Cabiriwww.cabiri.org

Arcmember
17 posts

Posted:
I think I've always been fascinated with fire dance and showmanship. My first experiences were with the fire staffs. Seeing this as a kid just dropped my jaw. However, I always thought I had to be part of some secret society. Born into it like a gypsy or something. I just started spinning poi about two weeks ago and I am hooked. I've always been in awe of peoples crafts but never ever thought that I could be a part of it. I came from an extremely strict and narrow minded back ground where artists were considered communists or good for nothing finacially crippled good for nothings. It's funny how 18 years of mind control can shape ones future. It's not that I didn't appreciate what I was watching. I did, I loved it. I just never thought I could be one of them. The wall was up and I had to be a corporate drone. Bummer, too bad they didn't see the fun side(parents I mean).Anywho, I didn't get up here to cry in my milk. I just wanted to share a piece of history. I am happy to have stepped over to the other side and give it a spin.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
The very first time I saw someone spinning was at a Medieval festival in Brisbane. After that, it was at one of the Moonfests at Shornecliffe. Then I thought - why not have a go? I bought a staff and practiced for around a month before lighting up and it was better than I ever thought it could be. Now, it is a matter of pride, nothing noble in my goals - if I do something, I like to do it well. I don't like to do things by halves.I can't spin well however, so I'm contantly learning and trying to reach a level of proficiency that I will be happy with. I want to be *good* at spinning. I want to be sooo damn good at it, I am trying and trying. However, that is years away and for now I'm more than happy just to spin and forget about the world for a while. I HATE having to refuel! When will we have staffs that can never go out ! Grrrrr !

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
When I first saw fire twirling, I was absolutely spellbound... there is definately something magickal about it. I had to do it! I had to feel what it was like on the inside of the swirling whirling fire light that so magickally to be circling these people like will-o-the-whisps... They fully played and danced with the flames. . . I wonder what they're doing now??? If they're still twirling they must be amazing!

That's my story...

I'm a fire sign too... so that may have something to do with it... Fire just feels right.... naturally connected or something... It's a part of me....

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*

LobsterChimember
6 posts

Posted:
I used to go out in NYC every weekend and party....and like many others I started playin with glowsticks and doing liquid (I was ok...but not too great.) Then I saw someone spinning glowsticks. From the first time I saw it I knew it was for me. At Soundfactory one weekend I asked someone if I could try and spent 10 minutes bouncing them off my head. I got back to my friends house that morning...and in the backyard standing on a patio chair for 5 hours straight I learned to spin glowsticks.....

That was about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago....I spun for a while...but when I stopped going out as often,.....I stopped practicing...then ....last week I saw someone doing a show with fire...not on strings but it was still pretty cool...and that made me think...hell...I could do that with strings...then I went online....found this site....ordered my poi..( I wanted to see how the wicks were wrapped before just making my own)...and it's right back into it...

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
okay i'm just crap !

my boyf started making fire performance equipment and i wouldnt leave the staves he was making alone so eventually, to get me to bugger off he made me one for our anniversery. But i'd never seen anyone or done the bloody thing myself so had to learn quick. Am complete opposite to everyone here, i did NOT want to light my staff, i just liked the whooshy noise. So boyf pushed me outside, lit it and threw it at me. Then it was like "holy shit!" it was wicked!

ahh, whooshy fire... yum yum...

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
Going back to what Spiral said.....

I find it very theraputic. It's kind of an escape, but also an introduction to serenity. Where I feel I am purely existing in a moment - something most people don't feel the majority of the time.
I seem to become so more sensitive to everything. Sound, sight, touch blah blah blah blah. Yeah, makes me feel peacefull. I can close my eyes and engulf myself in the circles I create. It's a n expression; reflection of inner being.

So yeah....
Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
......AND IT LOOKS FUCKING EXCELLENT!!!! Teehee
Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

starbukmember
75 posts

Posted:
AAHHhh Its a simple 1 4 me.

It was either play in the sun with me friends or sit in side and write/think/read about the paleoenvironmental reconstruction of southeast devon (My dissertation !)

What would u rather do?

Dont forget to bring a towel

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
bump.

Meh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by Unborn Children on Fire

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
But....dibs swore in this one....

Meh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm with UCOF on this one. Good lord, you've been gone a year and you STILL have more posts than I do. Crikeys! (Or however you limeys spell it)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
its singular doc: "crikey".

pretty rare to hear it from anyone except americans impersonating the english though...

"cor blimey guv'nor" is rare too.

"f*ck me" is a far more commonly used synonym.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Waiting to see the 10, 000 mark hit....

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I reckon the higher up posters...should sit glued to our computers for the foreseeabble future then..
or eveyone just has to email pounce telling her to keep posting...faster and faster.
SHe is realistically the only one who can stop C@ntus now..

bit like Neo and the Agents I suppose....

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
Shall I make the popcorn then?

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Please...

smile

Wyrd SisterBRONZE Member
53 posts

Posted:
I've been hermitting for about a year and on a well deserved break from work, after a nine and a half year sabbatical, for many reasons, I went back to the Full Moon Drumming Circle. Okay, different venue now, but I felt like I hadn't left. There was a guy, Jimmy, playing with fire. He had poi , a double ended staff and a couple of shorter sticks. I was fascinated. I've always been drawn to fire, heheh, I am a fire sign smile
I had a play with his poi unlit and the next day went into Cosmic Corner and bought my own. The joy of a semi-disposable income huh?
The next Full Moon I found the perfect spot, where Jimmy had set up. Close enough to feel the warmth of the flame (hey, it was winter!!) At one point he'd said "Are you okay there?" "Yeah." "What, you feel safe?" "Oh yeah." I knew I was far enough away from him to not get in his way. We ended up talking for a while and he gave me some pointers.
We'd arranged a lesson and the night went on it's way. I ran into friends and a good time was had by all.
Full Moon number three and Jimmy tells me I've got my first gig if I'm interested. Okay. My friend Al tells me he's having a party "And I've kind of put on the invitations that you'll be performing. And I've already printed them." No pressure.
The party didn't happen because of my day job. Overtime happened and I kinda had to be there. Bloody politics. Still, they pay me and they reimbursed me $135.00 towards my fire performing as a Health Related activity - I love my union smile
The gig was a mid Winter celebration for the University staff. Theme - vampire.
My first burn?
Wow.
I've heard the flames when I've watched Jimmy and Holly twirling, but when you're inside...Wow. biggrin biggrin biggrin
Okay, picture this: we're greeting them as they get to the bar, so we have a large space to play in - large paved area, a large chunk of it covered. There's an oncoming Sourtherly storm (ew, straight of the Antarctic - bloody cold!!) that's just starting to make it's presence known. The rain had stopped ten minutes before we were due to start. We went off. Jimmy, Abbey and me twirling, Bruce and Murray drumming ubbrollsmile
Afterwards Murray hold told me he knew I was a fire virgin and was singing my praises. Damn that felt good smile He remembered me from Cuba Cuba, where the Drumming Circle was originally.
When I had my first lesson a friend at work, Natalie, gave me her friends card, Fairie Firebell, which is how I came to Home of Poi. Another realm awaits me teehee devil ubbrollsmile
The sun has now set. The sky is clear and the air is still. Must be time to go out and play.
weavesmiley weavesmiley
Hope everyone had good sleeps and dreams.

What we play is life. -- Louis Armstrong
Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff. -- Frank Zappa

Page: