Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How do i keep my poi alight for longer?!

Login/Join to Participate

firepriestessmember
2 posts

Posted:
Hey! wheneva i light my poi they only seem to stay alight for about 3 mins and im finding it very frustrating as it means i don't have time to try all my tricks. How can i keep them alight for longer? I use paraffin at the moment are other fuels better? open to any suggestions!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Wick design and fuel. The thicker the wick, the more fuel you get, the longer the burn. I've found that lamp oil gives the longest burn. I beleive that's pronounced paraffin in British. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
NYC's comments are right on th emarlk, and are the two most common contributing factors to burn time.other, lesser issues are, humidity and temperature of the surrounding air, whether the fuel is cool or hot before lighting, how fast you spin (I deliberately put out my staff wicks by fast spinning), wind and temperature of chains and staff.I'm sure i've left a few out, but it's really only wind, speed, wick design and fuel.Cheers...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

firepriestessmember
2 posts

Posted:
thanyou guys! how does everyone here seem to know each other?! or do i just not know anyone because im new?!

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
hiya firepriestess smilei don't really know these people, i just kinda online-stalk them.. they're very entertaining tho!

firecatmember
7 posts

Posted:
I think one of the most important factors is quantity of wick & how much fuel it can absorb. keep in mind your poi will get heavier- your speed will be slower. also more exposed surface area creates bigger flame & that will use up fuel faster.lamp oil, paraffin, kerosene - all more or less the same burn properties and will burn a bit longer than white gas/naptha... best burn time I've ever gotten for fuel is biodiesel - it burned almost twice as long as the white gas we usually use. leaves a bit of slime & soot all over your toys... but I don't think much worse than kerosene... some like it, some don't... www.biodiesel.org - not sure how to find it in the UK, but maybe there's an international link from that site... it's very hard to light (300 degree flash point): recommend adding a little white gas so it'll start, and can only be used outdoors on dirt/grass surfaces - lots of smoke, especially when it's about to go out & will leave very slippery oily slime on the floor. smells like fried food, non-toxic, no sulfur, 100% renewable derived mostly from soy bean oil smilecatscorched earth

melissaBRONZE Member
156 posts

Posted:
thanks for the info on biodiesel, it sounds like an good option to explore, i especially like the renewable resource aspect of it. smile

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
If you live in Australia, one petrol station (in Newcastle I think, not sure) is now selling biodiesel at the pump. Hopefully, the first of many. smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Biodiesel really is the ultimate for long burns, and while it appears to be environmentally friendly in the abstract sense, it is nasty stuff when you are up-close-and-personal with it. I've seen people stop in mid-twirl because the smell was overwhelming them.The best burn I've ever had, though, was after soaking my wicks in lamp oil, and then directly soaking them in biodiesel. Very long burn with little (but some) of that biodiesel bouquet. I did this by accident, in case you're wondering--I forgot I had given them the first soak.I've done some tests on this subject. My results are at:https://www.fire-gear.com/testing.htmlhttps://www.fire-gear.com/testing2.html

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
winkUse Napalm winkThat way your poi will burn for days.[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 13 February 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
And you'll smell like victory wink

Jesus helps me trick people.

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
*Laughs to the point of tears*That was Hilarious.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I don't get it. winkHey, what was that post a while back about 20 minute wicks? They self engulf but it sounded cool... Somebody do a search and tell firepriestess what I'm talkin' about. I'm goin' to bed. And yes firepriestess, we all hang on the weekends in my parent's basement but we won't let you in unless you know the secret knock. smile(Oh yeah, I'm the sarcastic one.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]