KandyRaverNYmember
1 post

Posted:
Hi everyone...I have just started spinning.I have really two questions for this post.1)Any tips on beginning??2) I have read the instructions on the "Chasing The Sun" move....but I cant figure out exactly how to get the poi spinning behind me. any tips?thanks..------------------AOL IM...KandyRaverNY

AOL IM...KandyRaverNY

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
You'll probably want to make some practice poi. Try attaching Tennisballs to your chain or stuffed animals. Guaranteed to make you learn faster because you won't fear getting hit in the face. As for the chasing the sun, to get it behind you, throw your hands behind your shoulders with your palms facing up, as if your trying to lift something above your head. To make the circles infront of you make your palms face down.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Hello KandyRaverNY, nice to see you here, I can't really explain howto do chasing the sun, it's hard to explain but you will get it in time.F_S------------------Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
Tips: loads, but basically: practice, practice, practice, and practice more with one hand at a time, espically your weak hand.With most spins it's easier spinning in one direction that the other. I find parallel spins anti-clockwise harder than clockwise, others find it the other way round.Parallel spinning is cool, the other night it seemed to impress people greatly doing a lot of chasings, tuck turns and other random parallel stuff.Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

bubblezmember
24 posts

Posted:
WELCOME!!!!!!! tips huh??hrmm, take it slooooooooow wink......try the front moves first, then move on to tha back tricks PLUR..p.s how is ny? i miss it------------------ITS NOT WHAT U KNOW, ITS WHAT U CAN PROVE......

ITS NOT WHAT U KNOW, ITS WHAT U CAN PROVE......

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
One of these days im going to teach someone btb moves first and moves infront of them second... Just to show btb moves isn't as hard as it seems, its just what you're used to.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
When I first try anything behind my back - I always make sure I give it plenty of room in case I don't get the plane of the spin right.It may help stop hitting yourself if you lean backwards or push your groin forwards out of the way. It does't help you learn to swing better, but while you work on that, you give the poi more room for error. I guess it is the same as sticking your arms out in front of you rather than trying to twirl very close to the body.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Eddiemember
7 posts

Posted:
I used to practice in the corridor at home, it forces you to keep them parallel. Just standing there spinning them (a'la skipping rope) helps your hands get the feel of them, and it forces you to have more control when trying trickier moves.

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Onlyu suggestion is lots and lots of practice smileI have only been Poiing for about 1 month now and I started by looking at the lessons from this site. Also a very good way to learn is to watch other people who are better and get some pointers from them.As for chasing the sun I am still having problems with it, I can do something very similar but I am still crossing my hands when I go behind my back.I definately found some of the other moves a lot easier (I have almost got the 5-beat weave now - just need to polish up the LHS) so I would suggest starting with some of the easier moves first grin------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Welcome ! smileTips ? listen to music and let it flow !!!After all we are fire DANCING !!!!And enjoy yourself !!!Shine onCass[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 13 November 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Josephxmember
1 post

Posted:
Hey Kandy, I am new too. Have been at it for about 2 weeks. The thing is to just keep at it and study carefully the lessons here. Some of these moves seem impossible until you get it *once* then you know you can do it and you just want to go and go. I got the 4 and 5 beat weave 2 days ago and it feels so incredible when everything smoothes out. I agree with the music thing as well, helps to keep you from thinking too much!!!!keep at itJoseph

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
My girlfriend found that as soon as she started using her hips more, the poi moved behind her a lot more... Im not going to complain.. she has lovely hips. smile lol------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.