PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I don't know, maybe it would work for long ones as well but having been inspired by Xaeda's fantastic videos I thought I might post this one. If these have been done then I am sorry.Yes, the first is another ground one!!!!!!! rolleyesSpin the short staff in one hand, go down to a one handed push up position,spin the staff under your body (yes between your body and the ground/floor)for a few turns then bring it around your back, lower yourself to the ground, laying on stomach pass the poi behind you back and do the same with the reverse arm. This time when passing behind your back go up on your knees, keeping staff out to side and a bit behind you do a forward roll to your feet and keep spinning.The other one is rolling the staff on the body....start with a neck roll (I feed it through with my left hand on the right side) and instead of catching it with my right hand I steady it with my right hand and have it roll down my shoulder/boob/pectoral and down my left arm where I catch it in my left hand. From here I do a wrist roll but only allow it to go about 3/4 of the way around before I catch it in a wrist roll around my right wrist. From here I catch it in my right hand and feed it through the left side of ny neck only I catch it with the back of my neck instead of allowing it to keep rolling. I then kind of roll my back so that it travels all the way down my spine...I have my hands at belt level palms up behind me to catch it, which I then do that pop-toss thing that Xaeda so expertly does in her video, the one where it stays horizontal and pops from behind the body to the front, which is when I catch it and keep spinning.Took me about an hour to get it all together last night and my friends said both moves look really good.I am also going to mention that my staff is 1 Yard exactly or 0.914 Metres long.Like I said, If they've been done before then I am sorry. If not then let me know how they work for you.Cheers! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
Wow, thanks for those Pele! I really like the pressup one.....haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it'd be a bit harder with longstaff than with short. But hey, I'll get it somehow smile It's raining and I have very little else to do today. Oh, that pop-up thing in the video is cheating really.....I only did it a twice I think, and Malcom expertly looped the footage wink But I was surprised at how cool it looks repeated, and now I'm gonna have to learn to do it fast like that!Okay, my offering for today....a funky double shortstaff move that works especially well at the end of a performance. (My staffs are 1m long, but it shouldn't matter too much, as long as the flames don't get too close to your head)Hold the two staffs together in front of you, sitting horizontally in both hands with your palms up. Now lift your arms up to just above horizontal, holding tight onto one staff, and letting the other roll up your arms towards your neck. The staff should sit across your shoulders/upper arms, and be pressing into the front of your neck. Bring your arms up as high as you can (without choking yourself on the other staff!). Now throw the staff you're holding (flat popup is easiest). While that staff is in the air, use one hand to grab the lower staff, and the other to catch the one you threw. You can catch it above your head, or pop it back and catch it behind your head, or pop it back and let it drop so you catch it one handed behind your back. You can also experiment with putting horzontal or upright spins in the throw. Once you've caught both staffs, you're in a great position to go into parallel spins (cause one's in front, one's behind), or you can do some swanky finishing pose wink Have fun smilexaeda(ps.....You don't need to apologise for the possibility your moves might have been done before.....it's not like you're claiming to have invented them, you're sharing them with people who might not have heard them smile I'd never heard of either of those at all! But even the most basic moves will help someone out. Anyways, I'm so happy people are sharing staff stuff now! yay!)

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Very cool Xaeda!!! I am going to have to give that a go! Not that I'll have much success but hey...worth a try! (For some reason the double staff is being a real pain in my butt! smile)I've always been primarily a poi-er, jump roper, eater person but for some odd reason I picked up my staff and was able to do tricks I hadn't been able to do before so I am running with it while I can and trying all sorts of combos! Glad you liked the ones I posted, hope they work well for you!Night.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
hey pele smileheh, I shouldn't have replied to this post before I'd actually *tried* this trick! Ouch!!!!! You're not quite human, Pele, I envy your strength ;-) (in the nicest possible way, of course). Just out of curiosity, how do you get down to a pressup? I just did a messy hands-and-knees kinda thing.....but I bet you probably fall into it from a great height rolleyes heh.I just remembered a slightly related trick you might be able to work into that second one.....it's another rolly one but it works better with a long staff. Hold the staff out in front of you with both hands, palms facing down. Lift your arms up to just past vertical, then let the staff roll down them. When it gets near your shoulders, bring your arms down to hang behind you so the staff keeps rolling down to your hands. I'm sure with your flexibility you'll be able to do it much better than me!Now I'm gonna go and perfect your trick....(bones creaking)seeya smile

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
oh yeah.....forgot to mention the staff goes *behind* your head. kinda importand winkseeya

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
You know...if I explained how to get into the move it would prolly help huh? smileI usually spin in front of me, lower myself to my knees and from there I spin out to the side and fall forward, catching myself on my other hand (like the knee-push up position), then I raise my legs onto my toes and am in the push up position. Also if you stick your butt up in the air a bit it helps to get the staff beneath you. You know, my parents always said that aliens left me in a basket in their back yard, so your theory on my not being human might just be correct! winkLoved the move you posted, and I kind gathered that it went behind my head wink. I have yet to try it but look forward to the concussion after my son goes to bed! grinBTW, Ben-Gay takes care of those sore muscles!!!! tonguetil next time!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele