Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What in the world am I doing?

Login/Join to Participate

Gikkwinymember
9 posts

Posted:
I have been trying, like many people here, to do the 5 beat chase... however, I may have gotten it, or I may have gotten somehting completely different.I start by doing the 3 beat weave on my right side, I do a complelet extra revolution, so the last twirl on that side is coming from the hand on the BOTTOM. Then I swing both back over to my left side, undo the one extra twist, and then move my left hands in the regular 3 beat pattern, into my right gain where I do the extra beat. What am I doing? Did I manage to learn the 5 beat? Am I doign the 4.2 beat? *wonders a lot*

I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend... I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle lke fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend.-Neil Gaiman, Sandman #48

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a 4 beat to me. Count the beats! If this is true, then you're one step from a five beat. If I'm doing a three beat I need to do a four beat on one side to be "twisted" to untwist on the otherside to get 5 beats. That is, from any normal position I believe you need to do a 4 beat on one side to kick into the 5 on the other. I believe a 5 beat is 1 untwist + 3 beat weave + 1 twist. At least, that's what it feals like to me. Right now, you're probably doing a 3 + twist on one side, then untwist + 3 on the other.But I'm just a 5 beat rookie here... Keep on keepin on!(I hope this makes SOME sense!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Gikkwinymember
9 posts

Posted:
Well, I know/think I'm doing a 5 beat on my right, but a 4 beat on my left.. and I can't figure out how to up my left to 5 beats. I'm so close, and yet so far.. =P Any tips on how to add one revolution on one side? my strings end up wrapped together if I put in another rev, and my wrists won't twist anymore... Help! wink

I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend... I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle lke fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend.-Neil Gaiman, Sandman #48

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
I gave someone my tips on the 5bt a few days ago - do a search for "wrist"...odd I know but it's all about realising where your hands should be which is best done without the poi in your hand. Good luck - it shouldn't take that long to get it. Think I nailed it in 2 days.------------------"We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think you're counting wrong smileYou can't do a 5 on one side and a 4 on the other because you'll end up twisted. It's like doing a 3 on one side and a 2 on the other. I think you're doing a 4 on both. But that's just my guess. Do it for a while and count how many times it passes by each knee... 4 right? smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

flaming_madmember
34 posts

Posted:
The 5bt is fwd/backward/fwd weave. The 6bt is fwd/backward/fwd/backward weave.Don't turn your body. Keep the poi in front and to your side.

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
Your first description perfectly describes a 4 beat weave. You did an extra revolution on the right, then unwound on the left and carried on as usual right? So why not do an extra revolution on the left as well before crossing back to the right and unwinding again? This gives you 5 beats.When moving into a 5 beat weave you always do 4 beats on the first side because you're not starting from the twisted up position.Hope this makes sense! Describing these movements in writing can be tricky. What makes sense to the author often fails to translate into the reader's way of picturing things - don't you find?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
OK flamingmad, what the heck are YOU talking about? The way I do a 5beat has no "backwards" in it...It's just like a 3 but I twist my wrists a bit around eachother for the additional rotation. I'm totally curious now.... (sitting here for 5 minutes looking at my hands trying to visualize it.)Please explain! smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429499517)

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
how the... I can't see that working. I twist but I just end up doing the 5 beat... I can do a 5 beat weave turn, which is sort of like that.. you do end up with an extra beat.the 5 beat rvs weave is much harder, I only just got that. It's totally brilliant.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
If you are talking about starting from a rvs or going to a rvs 5-beat and combining it with a fwd 5-beat then you are talking about a combination - it doesnt add moves to your fwd 5-beat - its a different technique! smileJosh

hexonlegsmember
12 posts

Posted:
my friends and I call the 3 beat fwd weave with a three beat bkwd weave on either end a snake weave, but its not the elusive 5 beat.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
It's a 4-beat weave...what your doing is doing the movement correctly on your right side, you seem to tuck the hand under, but when you get to your left side you just bring it over so its the movement for the regular weave. Just try to match up the movements on each side.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====